Do you like immediate rematches?

FutureBwChamp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The point of a fight is to see who the better fighter is? If you get your ass whipped then we don't need an instant rematch. Sure book Reyes vs Jones again but Wilder got his ass kicked vs Fury we don't need an instant rematch, or even when champions reign for a long time. I don't believe rematches should be made unless the fight was up in the air, no matter your reign, what the money is etc. Anyone else find it annoying when you clearly get the answer and they force a rematch

Sometimes yes sometimes one of them need a tune up fight or two.

I like an immediate rematch if a long term defending champion lost (i.e Holloway, Stipe)

Depends on the circumstances really...

Aldo/McGregor I was for because Aldo was a long reigning champion and it was over quickly without one fighter showing they're clearly better.
However I'm against Holloway/Volk rematching because we saw over 5 rounds that Volk outworked him.

If the initial fight was competitive, yes....
Or if it was a quick KO, where the loser just got caught. Like with Cain and JDS' first fight.
I think Aldo should have gotten an immediate rematch too.

1) If a fight was very close (e.g. Jones vs Reyes)
2) Dominant champ lost (e.g. Silva vs Weidman)
3) Bad blood is still there (e.g. Cody vs TJ)

I like them when done right but the precedent that has been set is just mind-boggling. I think a long-term champ should always get a rematch unless they get beaten down and it’s not really competitive.

I don't hate "Immediate" rematches. I do hate when rematches, specifically with title holders, happen over extended period of months for any reason other than taking time off to heal from serious injury.

It’s all about the dollars. If the money is right, the ufc will make it happen.

I do when there is unadulterated controversy in the 1st fight, like a ref stopping way too early.

AND...

When the above happens and there simply isnt another deserving fighter waiting in line.

Assuming it’s the champ who gets unseated, it depends on how they lost and how long they were champ. If it’s a champ with multiple defenses and they lose via a razor thin decision or just end up getting clipped quickly and knocked out, then I’m fine with it. Mighty Mouse (had he not been traded), Aldo (when he lost to Conor), Rose, and Stipe are examples where I think an immediate rematch was/would’ve been appropriate. Holloway is someone who doesn’t deserve it imo, as he clearly lost the Volk decision, and looked pretty lethargic throughout the whole fight.

Mostly depends on whether or not there are other clear cut contenders.

If the fight is controversial or a fun war.

But if there is a clear winner, especially in a title fight, the loser should move there way back up the ladder once again.

To me there are times when it is only fair to do it immediately - like Jones and Reyse

Like is a strong word. But it's sometimes understandable and justified

Depends on the circumstances really...

Aldo/McGregor I was for because Aldo was a long reigning champion and it was over quickly without one fighter showing they're clearly better.
However I'm against Holloway/Volk rematching because we saw over 5 rounds that Volk outworked him.
Aldo McGregor is one I was against actually the press for the fight was very long and drawn out fight got cancelled on a weeks notice almost, then when they finally did fight it was over in a flash. Hard sell for a rematch Conor relinquished anyway

Assuming it’s the champ who gets unseated, it depends on how they lost and how long they were champ. If it’s a champ with multiple defenses and they lose via a razor thin decision or just end up getting clipped quickly and knocked out, then I’m fine with it. Mighty Mouse (had he not been traded), Aldo (when he lost to Conor), Rose, and Stipe are examples where I think an immediate rematch was/would’ve been appropriate. Holloway is someone who doesn’t deserve it imo, as he clearly lost the Volk decision, and looked pretty lethargic throughout the whole fight.
See this is where things get weird. So Max goes 25 minutes with a contender that takes his belt and people think a rematch is not warranted but another champ gets slept like he is nothing and people think a rematch should come. How does the guy that can't last 13 seconds deserve what a guy that went 25 minutes doesn't. Seems strange

rematch every single fight.

I don't like it.

But sure if it's like MMA were the guys fight like once every 15 months then fine, the immediate rematch need to happen.

Otherwise it would be like 3-4 years before the rematch and at that point one guy maybe be out of prime or the bad blood might be completely fake. But i suppose it's something a prefight press conference could fix. Perhaps even a world tour with or orchestrated antics.

Back