Slain But Not Forgotten: The Aniah Blanchard Bill

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
5df6b5cb3e05f.image.jpg

The House Judiciary Committee has approved a bill named for Aniah Blanchard, the stepdaughter of UFC heavyweight Walt Harris, who was killed after being kidnapped from a convenience store in October. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Chip Brown, R-Mobile, would allow judges to hold individuals accused of committing violent Class A felonies without bail. Currently, bond can only be denied in cases of capital murder.

At the time of Blanchard’s disappearance, Ibraheem Yazeed, who is accused of killing Blanchard, was free on $295,000 bond on charges of kidnapping, attempted murder, robbery, and possession of marijuana in connection with an attack on two men in a Montgomery hotel in January 2019. Blanchard’s mother, father, and stepmother attended the hearing and spoke briefly before the committee voted on the measure.

“It would bring so much relief, and other parents would not have to go through the tragedy I suffered with my baby girl,” Elijah Blanchard, Aniah Blanchard’s father, told the committee.

“We can save a lot of lives [with this law in place],” said Angela Harris, Blanchard’s mother.

walt-harris-aniah-blanchard-instagram.jpg

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/02/aniah-blanchard-bill-approved-alabama-house-committee

Last edited:
Sounds like there's going to be an awful lot of red-tape connected to this one... You can't just go holding people without bail on an accusation, otherwise it defeats the "innocent until proven guilty" rhetoric.

Having said that, clearly it's a useful idea... But human rights lawyers would definitely disagree, and it's going to be a long road on that one.

Rip Aniah Blanchard.
War Walt Harris.

It's a step in the right direction.

Sounds like there's going to be an awful lot of red-tape connected to this one... You can't just go holding people without bail on an accusation, otherwise it defeats the "innocent until proven guilty" rhetoric.

Having said that, clearly it's a useful idea... But human rights lawyers would definitely disagree, and it's going to be a long road on that one.

Rip Aniah Blanchard.
War Walt Harris.
This.

I think we all sympathize with the tragedy, and understand why a bill like this could potentially have use.

That being said, holding people without bail is an ethical minefield.

As long as all drugs are excluded.
Said it's just violent crimes, which is easy to get behind in theory, but legally it violates the "innocent until proven guilty" mantra that protects us all from being locked indefinitely up for no reason/on suspicion.

I strongly oppose the bill tbh. It's a nice idea, but would cause huge problems legally.

That bill wont pass easily.defense attorneys would salivate if that happens

I'm not fully conversant with American law, if the cunt that murdered her was on $295,000 bail...who the fuck is paying that??
Or is there a way he gets out without the full amount being paid or something?

I'm not fully conversant with American law, if the cunt that murdered her was on $295,000 bail...who the fuck is paying that??
Ever see Dog The Bounty Hunter? I watched a few eopsides and I think I grasped the concept...

Bail bondsmen (somehow) pay the bail, they take responsibility for the perp - if they fuck up again, don't show for a court date, or violate the terms, warrants gut their re-arrest are issued, and they get taken to jail.

I don't know any better than that... And I'm probably way off, but I don't think that any one ever literally pays half a million dollars to frees some crackhead shoplifter, it's all in the system... Somehow...

You generally pay about 10%, but I’m not an expert and there are other paths.

Coming up with 30K for bail for a career criminal with gang ties in a bad neighborhood could be tough but I guess he did it

Bail bondsmen will lend people bail money for high fees.

For example they may lend someone like that the 300k for a fee of 30k. So scumbag pays 30 instead of 300.

Ever see Dog The Bounty Hunter? I watched a few eopsides and I think I grasped the concept...

Bail bondsmen (somehow) pay the bail, they take responsibility for the perp - if they fuck up again, don't show for a court date, or violate the terms, warrants gut their re-arrest are issued, and they get taken to jail.

I don't know any better than that... And I'm probably way off, but I don't think that any one ever literally pays half a million dollars to frees some crackhead shoplifter, it's all in the system... Somehow...
Jesus... Thats nuts.

You generally pay about 10%, but I’m not an expert and there are other paths.

Coming up with 30K for bail for a career criminal with gang ties in a bad neighborhood could be tough but I guess he did it

Bail bondsmen will lend people bail money for high fees.

For example they may lend someone like that the 300k for a fee of 30k. So scumbag pays 30 instead of 300.
That's fucking shocking.

That's fucking shocking.

Some states are moving away from bail entirely because it disproportionately impacts the poorest Americans that can't even afford the 10%.

just kill him already.
"Oh noooo, we need to spend millions of dollars to keep him alive in jail for decades."

Some states are moving away from bail entirely because it disproportionately impacts the poorest Americans that can't even afford the 10%.
Good, if you have a legitimate dangerous cunt on your books there should never be a monetary value assigned to his freedom, for some crimes I get it, but not bastards like this one.

Good, if you have a legitimate dangerous cunt on your books there should never be a monetary value assigned to his freedom, for some crimes I get it, but not bastards like this one.

Well, I think it works the other way.

Everyone gets out till their trial no matter how much money they have, instead of just the people that have money get out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back