Iole and Anthony Smith Say Sanchez Didn't Emotionally Quit After He Admitted He "Strategically" Quit

Did Diego lie to the ref?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Diego-Sanchez-and-Josh-Fabia.png

"I Can't See I Can't Continue!" (Diego Sanchez Training with Josh Fabian)

A veteran fighter like Sanchez, who has been in the UFC since 2005 and has fought professionally since 2002, knows full well that when he tells a referee he can’t see, the fight will be stopped.

. . .

So as Sanchez was being attended to by the doctor, in his mind the fight was even. He knew he was probably losing the third, so the worst he would have gotten under that scenario if he finished the fight would have been a draw.

. . .

And I’d say to adapt that to MMA in modern times, Sanchez has never been a quitter. To give up in a fight before the final bell goes against every instinct in his body.

When Anthony Smith was kneed in the head by Jon Jones in their light heavyweight title fight on March 2, 2019, there were those in Smith’s corner desperately advising him to say he couldn’t continue. That would have given Smith not only the win bonus, but also the title.

Smith, though, refused, and said he couldn’t live with himself if he behaved that way. He took the time allotted and then continued to fight. Two points were deducted from Jones for the illegal knee, but he still won a unanimous decision over Smith.

Knowing Sanchez as we have over the years, why would we believe he’d behave any differently than Smith did? Smith doesn’t believe Sanchez knowingly quit and took the money.

“I gave Diego a pass on this because he’s never cracked before,” Smith said. “He’s never looked for a way out before. If anything, Diego is one of the guys who runs into the storm. If Diego says that he’s hurt, then I believe he was hurt. ...

“I got a lot of tweets and people were looking for me to roast Diego, but I didn’t because that’s not who this guy has been. He hasn’t acted that way before. Diego Sanchez has never given me a reason to think he’s a quitter, ever.”

Many of us would have made that choice and quit to take the money in a similar situation in our own jobs. Sanchez, though, is wired differently. That others would suggest he quit to take the money is the surest sign they have no idea of what is inside of this man and the strange energy that has made him one of the most beloved figures in the history of the sport.

Sanchez is not a quitter. Period. End of story.

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-diego-s...legal-knee-from-michel-pereira-201223522.html

Last edited:
Everything went down super fast. He was hurt for sure.
He has accepted a fight with a huge ww, he is courageous and he is not quitter.

he lied. this is a fact. obvioulsy he could see. if he did the right thing or not, this is a whole different story

Diego just ended up clowning the clown Periera. Oh the irony in it all.

Dude wanted out from the second the fight started.

Who among you didn’t immediately bet that he would take the DQ?

Diego is crazy and gullible, but he's not a complete idiot.

He knew he was down on the cards and his chance to finish his opponent was slim to none.

Why continue the fight and lose when you can just call the DQ and win.
- Your opponent cheated, so the blame should be on him.
- Deny him of win bonus while getting your own win bonus.

Diego has probably spilled more blood for fan's entertainment over the years than those same fans have spilled beer or cheetos while stuffing their faces. Yet they're now all over Sherdog calling him a coward. You can't make up shit like that.

Last edited:
Since when is Anthony Smith the authority on all things mma?

He was illegally hurt...head busted open, nothing to discuss here, its time for fans to stop blaming the victim.

Smith is just taking the high road. We know Sanchez quit.

It is interesting that more people seem to be mad at Diego than at the guy who threw an obviously illegal knee when he was clearly winning the fight.

Who gives a fuck if he quit or not? Strategically quit, emotionally quit.... these are bullshit terms.

He was kneed in the head and it was illegal. Fights shouldn't continue when the rules are broken and it clearly effects a fighter.

Focus less on what you think Diego did, and focus more on what we all factually saw the other guy do.

Diego-Sanchez-and-Josh-Fabia.png

"I Can't See I Can't Continue!" (Diego Sanchez Training with Josh Fabian)

A veteran fighter like Sanchez, who has been in the UFC since 2005 and has fought professionally since 2002, knows full well that when he tells a referee he can’t see, the fight will be stopped.

. . .

So as Sanchez was being attended to by the doctor, in his mind the fight was even. He knew he was probably losing the third, so the worst he would have gotten under that scenario if he finished the fight would have been a draw.

. . .

And I’d say to adapt that to MMA in modern times, Sanchez has never been a quitter. To give up in a fight before the final bell goes against every instinct in his body.

When Anthony Smith was kneed in the head by Jon Jones in their light heavyweight title fight on March 2, 2019, there were those in Smith’s corner desperately advising him to say he couldn’t continue. That would have given Smith not only the win bonus, but also the title.

Smith, though, refused, and said he couldn’t live with himself if he behaved that way. He took the time allotted and then continued to fight. Two points were deducted from Jones for the illegal knee, but he still won a unanimous decision over Smith.

Knowing Sanchez as we have over the years, why would we believe he’d behave any differently than Smith did? Smith doesn’t believe Sanchez knowingly quit and took the money.

“I gave Diego a pass on this because he’s never cracked before,” Smith said. “He’s never looked for a way out before. If anything, Diego is one of the guys who runs into the storm. If Diego says that he’s hurt, then I believe he was hurt. ...

“I got a lot of tweets and people were looking for me to roast Diego, but I didn’t because that’s not who this guy has been. He hasn’t acted that way before. Diego Sanchez has never given me a reason to think he’s a quitter, ever.”

Many of us would have made that choice and quit to take the money in a similar situation in our own jobs. Sanchez, though, is wired differently. That others would suggest he quit to take the money is the surest sign they have no idea of what is inside of this man and the strange energy that has made him one of the most beloved figures in the history of the sport.

Sanchez is not a quitter. Period. End of story.

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-diego-s...legal-knee-from-michel-pereira-201223522.html

If you had a chance of winning before the illegal strike, and then you believed your chances of winning went to 0 after the illegal strike, would you continue?

He must have felt pretty gnarly after taking that shot to believe that, so it's fair play.

It sucks that Diego quit and took stole the win. But you guys realize his opponent is the one that actually threw the illegal strike? He deserves at least an equal part of the blame

This all is like a whole mma community identity crisis.

Back