Who was off to a more legendary start to their WW career at this point, GSP or Usman?

2004 account

For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill
@Silver
Reaction score
When comparing the two careers at the same number of fights and considering their competition, who do you think is off to a better career between GSP and Usman?

I'd say they have pretty similar careers so far

GSP retired way too early. If Usman wins his next 3 fights, then he is better than GSP. Numbers don't lie.

GSP has 13 consecutive wins. Usman has 11. If Usman makes it to 14, then he is better than GSP in books. Remember, GSP fought the same 4 guys 8 times. Hughes, Penn, Koscheck and Serra.

GSP retired way too early. If Usman wins his next 3 fights, then he is better than GSP. Numbers don't lie.

GSP has 13 consecutive wins. Usman has 11. If Usman makes it to 14, then he is better than GSP in books. Remember, GSP fought the same 4 guys 8 times. Hughes, Penn, Koscheck and Serra.
So a loss erases all your previous wins?

Sounds legit

matt-serra_georges-st-pierre.gif

resize

{<diva}

I'd still say GSP because his level of competition was better. But Usman is gaining ground quickly.

When comparing the two careers at the same number of fights and considering their competition, who do you think is off to a better career between GSP and Usman?

Usman is super legit and may surpass GSP but at this point I still have GSP higher due to stronger comp.

Take a look at this thread:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/least-padded-record-in-mma.3818233/

GSP has literally fought no cans EVER.
Marty has a couple and actually lost to one (Caceres).

That may not be the most important qualifier to some fans but to me it is if we're talking legendary careers. Facing only the toughest men in the sport from the very start is a feat in itself. And if you beat them all - that's legendary. (yes I know GSP lost but he avenged both losses)

Lol, you guys don’t think you might be getting ahead of yourselves? Let Usman defend a good 4 or 5 more times then we can start this debate

When GSP wa at this stage in his career he was like 5 years younger than Usman is now. Lets see if Usman can defend that title 10 more times, thats the bar.

GSP as a defending champion tapped to strikes and later took a beating from Hendricks causing him to flee the sport all while he was in his prime:

gif8.gif

9dbe6ab96a181b777d888d5bf62fe3e5--fitness-motivation-martial.jpg

SMH at anyone saying Gsp.

Obviously Kamaru has not earned Gsp status yet but as of right now he is clearly off to a better start.

Usman is behind Woodley, lol @ comparing him to GSP.

Usman would have flushed the Den Ardys of the world.

Interesting. You always hear this complaint about Cain, but never about GSP. Losing to two of them and winning a close split decision over another. Good point.

Lets not act like hardy and serra were that great of wins come on
They were not cans. That's all I'm saying. GSP has no cans in his fight history. No easy fights, no mismatches. None. His 1st opponent was 4-0, then 4-1 and 5-1. GSP has never faced anyone with a losing record.
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/georges-st-pierre-rush

Usman's first 4 opponents were 0-0, 3-3, 3-6, 2-1. And he lost to that 3-3 guy... His run in the UFC is super impressive and I am not a hater by any means. I'm just looking at the strength of competition throughout their respective careers.
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/39265-kamarudeen-usman

Back