Opinion: Aldo needs to rehab his previously broken foot

West Linn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've maintained that Aldo hasn't been the same since he broke his foot vs KZ in 2013. He hasn't thrown leg kicks the same way he used to. It's almost a nonexistent weapon for him at this point, and it used to be one of his biggest weapons. I believe this has not only effected his leg kicks, but his whole footwork and movement and general overall athletic ability.

Effects of a serious injury like a broken foot can last well after surgery and rehab. I think this is obvious because he doesn't kick nearly as much as he used to. The only thing you can point to is when he broke his foot against KZ. It wasn't as simple as a clean break either, as he continued to kick with it in the fight. His foot is totally mangled in the pictures.

People always tell me he used them against Lamas immediately in his next fight, which he did, but he was only able to use them effectively because it was Ricardo Lamas, not a world class striker or fighter. They didn't look the same either. Since then, they have been nowhere to be seen. To get to the level he previously was at, he seriously needs to take another look at his foot.

It's hard to believe he properly rehabbed an injury of that level in the 6 months between the KZ and Lamas fight.

aldo-foot1.jpg

197_jose_aldo_vs_chan_sung_jung.0.jpg

Aldo, if you're reading this, take another look at your foot. Maybe even another surgery.

Last edited:
It's too late. He's getting old, and needs to strike while that iron is still hot. Taking a year off, which would probably be best for an injury like that is simply something he can't afford at this age.

Reckon your right
I did my Achilles but not all the way through years ago in an exhibition, never been the same launching kicks,pretty sure it's %50 physical %50 mental. Aldo had the best leg kicks, sucks

I've maintained that Aldo hasn't been the same since he broke his foot vs KZ in 2013. He hasn't thrown leg kicks the same way he used to. It's almost a nonexistent weapon for him at this point, and it used to be one of his biggest weapons. I believe this has not only effected his leg kicks, but his whole footwork and movement and general overall athletic ability.

Effects of a serious injury like a broken foot can last well after surgery and rehab. I think this is obvious because he doesn't kick nearly as much as he used to. The only thing you can point to is when he broke his foot against KZ. It wasn't as simple as a clean break either, as he continued to kick with it in the fight. His foot is totally mangled in the pictures with bones all jacked up.

People always tell me he used them against Lamas immediately in his next fight, which he did, but he was only able to use them effectively because it was Ricardo Lamas, not a world class striker or fighter. They didn't look the same either. Since then, they have been nowhere to be seen. To get to the level he previously was at, he seriously needs to take another look at his foot.

It's hard to believe he properly rehabbed an injury of that level in the 6 months between the KZ and Lamas fight.

aldo-foot1.jpg

197_jose_aldo_vs_chan_sung_jung.0.jpg

Aldo, if you're reading this, take another look at your foot. Maybe even another surgery.
I didn't know about this. I've wondered many times why he stopped the leg kicks. I very much think you may be right, but I don't know if he could ever have the confidence with it that he once did.

Damn that injury was nasty. Unfortunately I think it's more than 1 injury, kicking like a maniac throughout the years must have fucked his legs up

Although he's from brazil, he can probably afford better medical services than most of the sherdoggers. If his doctors couldn't help him, maybe you can recommend some experts to him

Although he's from brazil, he can probably afford better medical services than most of the sherdoggers. If his doctors couldn't help him, maybe you can recommend some experts to him

There have been instances of people getting multiple surgeries for a specific injury because it wasn't done properly. Shogun for example.

Stopped reading at your first sentence as your spreading the same false narrative thats been going on since Aldo fought TKZ.

Aldo fought Lamas @ 169 after his motorcycle accident, after breaking his foot vs TKZ and he absolutely battered Lamas' legs with leg kicks.

53.gif

aldo-sets-up-leg-kicks-lamas.gif

He obviously had an injury in training that hasn't been disclosed or the man's just old. Quit saying he stopped throwing leg kicks after breaking his foot, its not true.

Stopped reading at your first sentence as your spreading the same false narrative thats been going on since Aldo fought TKZ.

Aldo fought Lamas @ 169 after his motorcycle accident, after breaking his foot vs TKZ and he absolutely battered Lamas' legs with leg kicks.

53.gif

aldo-sets-up-leg-kicks-lamas.gif

he hasn't used them since. they weren't nearly as powerful as they used to be either. Also, Lamas is terrible

All I know is he needs to bring that shit back. How do you abandon one of your most lethal techniques. I just don't get it.

Jesus Christ some of you sherdoggers are worse than Joe Rogan stop talking about his fucking leg kicks just because he used them in a couple of fights 10 years ago. Just fucking stop if he thought they would help his game he would be using them there's a reason he doesn't use them as much. Fucking stop with the Aldo legkicks

Jesus Christ some of you sherdoggers are worse than Joe Rogan stop talking about his fucking leg kicks just because he used them in a couple of fights 10 years ago. Just fucking stop if he thought they would help his game he would be using them there's a reason he doesn't use them as much. Fucking stop with the Aldo legkicks

<DCrying>

I think there’s an injury issue, like you said. I don’t know when it happened. He’s tightened up some parts of his game but he isn’t as dynamic as he once was. He threw more kicks and grappled more in the past; he also seemed to move differently. He still looked very fast in his last few FW fights but not quite to the same level.

As impressive as his performance was against Frankie Edgar at UFC 200, that was a different José Aldo with a different set of skills to the one who fought Frankie Edgar the first time.

I think the more dynamic Aldo would be able to beat Max and probably any FW ever. I think there’s three versions of Aldo: WEC Aldo, Early UFC Aldo, and then later career Aldo (possibly post-injury Aldo) who is more boxing oriented. The middle one was the best overall I feel. The middle Aldo has developed tactically and fundamentally but also had a ton of dynamism.

He busted them out for the Max rematch a bit, but he didn't have nearly as great success as he did earlier in his career.

There's a reason he doesn't throw them as much. Maybe it has something to do with them sapping his cardio a bit more than they should, maybe it was the Anderson leg break, maybe it was the foot injury, maybe he got countered and KO'd in sparring, maybe there was an undisclosed injury, maybe he figured that with fading reflexes he was more open to a counter when he threw them.

We'll never know. Regardless of the reason, it happens. Fighters tend to lose, forget, and replace tools in their box as time goes on for various reasons. Penn's offensive wrestling wasn't seen for years until the Fitch fight, Wanderlei's thai clinch was underutilized after his PRIDE run, Max apparently forgot for the first three rounds last night that he was the best body snatcher in the game, Vitor forgot how to spinning hook kick after TRT. There's dozens of examples, all for different reasons.

You alright, dog?

Back