Kamaru and colby were both scared to death of having their shot stuffed

J

Jpenwell14

Point blank a stuffed shot would've been devastating in such a high out put fight and broken confidence. Might have lead ground n pound retaliation. The shot was simply not there and dare i say at the highest levels wrestling may be becoming as irrelevant to the ultimate outcome of a fight as bjj because the fight just doesn't happen there and if its finished there it rarely seems to have much to do with one guy slightly edging another in wrestling or bjj, its either a wide gap in mma application or a blowout victory.

The lone exception seems to be khabib whom to this point has turned the cage wall into a weapon but his wrestling in space ehhhhh. And the guys not going for broke on submissions either.

That's not to say there's not a place for throws or hooks (as they are referred to correctly in catch wrestling), simply that martial artists are looking in the wrong places for those applicable skills very likely, and the mat has been the friend of grapplers for years but that friendship is simply running out.

I love grappling. I just don't love excuses. Good grappling has to work as its intended not just as a gimmick and certainly shouldn't be a death sentence in a highly competitive fight

Or just scared they knew each other’s wrestling is so good they don’t wanna gas taking the wrestling route.

Surprised neither of them actually shot towards the end of the rounds. Would score more points, but was entertaining regardless.

Usman will have a long reign as WW champ. Don't see anyone stopping him at this point

Assuming there's not an immediate rematch Covington and Usman will both get multiple take downs in their next fights.
Two wrestlers cancelling each others wrestling out and having a standup fight isn't a new thing and the two of them have half decent standup.

If Khabib moved up to WW and fought either of them I'd expect the same sort of thing although Khabib might try a sneaky trip, throw or leg grab. Sambo is quite different to wrestling.

Assuming there's not an immediate rematch Covington and Usman will both get multiple take downs in their next fights.
Two wrestlers cancelling each others wrestling out and having a standup fight isn't a new thing and the two of them have half decent standup.

If Khabib moved up to WW and fought either of them I'd expect the same sort of thing although Khabib might try a sneaky trip, throw or leg grab. Sambo is quite different to wrestling.
khabib aint beating usman ... size difference is huge, and in grappling it counts much more than striking. Colby though is I believe a relatively easy fight for khabib though, his striking is so slow and predictable, so many strikes in the air, and his wrestling defense and overall grappling is no where near the lvl of khabib.

Back