Does anyone recall seeing ads for viewers to snitch on bars who were illegal streaming back in the d

Uke

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Back in July 2010 brock vs carwin was about to go down but i couldn't find a local spot at the beach that was ppving it besides hooters. Hooters wait time was ridiculous so my friend found a bar that was offering" special viewing."

When we arrive we each paid 20 bucks and are lead into a room with about 100 plus people waiting for the fight to start. We were watching it on a 50 inch tv and there was some guy there with a lap top. The quality sucked. I had no idea streaming fights was a thing back then.

6 months later im out of a job and im on Craigslist looking for side work and come across an ad asking to spy and take pictures of bars that are streaming. One of my local bars was on the list of places to scout.

I saw these for about 3 months and they were paying big bucks ( $500 for college kid was alot of money) for rats to get bars in trouble.

Anyone ever recall seeing such requests or hear of basically bounty rewards for snitching?

So you're a rat?

People, send me photos of your local bars with visible TVs. I am going to shoop latest UFC screenshots into and we will split the money!

tenor.gif

I think I vaguely remember there being some threads about this back in the day.

Yep, the UFC used to hire people to go to bars and check to make sure the place was buying the PPV legally. The more bars you hit with the fights on, the more they paid you.

Never saw ads but it happened at a bar I know. Some guy walked into a nothing bar in a tiny town, which you'd think they'd focus on cities, but nope. It's all about the miney.

Over 9 years ago ... let it go !!

TS broke and trying to still find an angle for the $500

I certainly do remember it, but very few bars illegally streamed. That activity was usually confined to someone with a TV hooked up to a laptop and a living room party of 10-20 people.

Wait... the bar was too cheap to actually pay for a residential PPV? wtf?

Wait... the bar was too cheap to actually pay for a residential PPV? wtf?

Ya, local bars pull in thousands a night in profit, much more during events. What kind of moron doesn't spend to increase his revenue.

What kind of back alley tug off bars did the OP visit ?

My family owns a restaurant / bar style place out of town. Very popular. Sometimes we show the fights and since it’s just a regular cable package, nobody even catches us. Place closes at 11, I’m probsbly going to put it on in the lounge with some buddies and after close, get really drunk.

Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense to show it in a bar because it’s literally a couple grand to show a UFC event. Kind of absurd and it’s why there’s never UFC PPV’s anywhere now.

Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense to show it in a bar because it’s literally a couple grand to show a UFC event. Kind of absurd and it’s why there’s never UFC PPV’s anywhere now.

This. Some bars got in trouble for that before. UFC would have people check if a bar was showing the PPV who wasn't on the list of places that bought it commercially.

It's ridiculous how much they charge bars, they'd need a certain number of people coming to see the fight to break even.

Back in July 2010 brock vs carwin was about to go down but i couldn't find a local spot at the beach that was ppving it besides hooters. Hooters wait time was ridiculous so my friend found a bar that was offering" special viewing."

When we arrive we each paid 20 bucks and are lead into a room with about 100 plus people waiting for the fight to start. We were watching it on a 50 inch tv and there was some guy there with a lap top. The quality sucked. I had no idea streaming fights was a thing back then.

6 months later im out of a job and im on Craigslist looking for side work and come across an ad asking to spy and take pictures of bars that are streaming. One of my local bars was on the list of places to scout.

I saw these for about 3 months and they were paying big bucks ( $500 for college kid was alot of money) for rats to get bars in trouble.

Anyone ever recall seeing such requests or hear of basically bounty rewards for snitching?
Did you snitch, on any bars, you little rat?

Back