Why didn't Overeem (& fighters in similar scenarios) just run/evade their opponent?

Savant21

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I never understood this. I acknowledge that Overeem & fighters in similar situations tend to be exhausted but all Overeem had to do was keep his hands up, chin down & evade his opponent by any means necessary (jogging away Kalib Starnes style or whatever).

I get some fighters wanna put on a show for the audience or whatever but if you know you're winning on the scorecards, are tired & potentially hurting & the fight is almost over why not just evade your opponent for dear life & win the fight via decision?

I never understood this. I acknowledge that Overeem & fighters in similar situations tend to be exhausted but all Overeem had to do was keep his hands up, chin down & evade his opponent by any means necessary (jogging away Kalib Starnes style or whatever).

I get some fighters wanna put on a show for the audience or whatever but if you know you're winning on the scorecards, are tired & potentially hurting & the fight is almost over why not just evade your opponent for dear life & win the fight via decision?

Because a referee will deduct a point for that

Guessing he heard the ten second clacks and figured he could weather the storm until the end at that point.

Because Overeem tried that before and it didn't work out too well...

tumblr_oa4c6opQ0e1qd4esao1_500.gif

I think it's just that moment of thinking 'I'm almost there', and then boom he gets clocked.

Say what you want about Overeem but he has a chin. That shot didn't KO him. He was knocked down and that cut was more then enough to stop the fight but he was still coherent. He broke his fall and was back up on his feet right away. Rocked for sure and if his opponent hadn't walked off he was on thin ice but that shot KO's many people but Reem was able to take it.

I'm no expert but It's probably hard to think rationally nearing the end of an exhausting bout where you've already taken some damage or at least are a bit exhausted

I thought Reem acted pretty normal (fuck, way better than normal) after eating a mouth-destroying bomb. I thought it should have gone to the cards.

up till that point, reem's defense was tight...kept hands held high, chin tucked right to his chest...all the shots on him, were to his forehead...which were mostly blocked....he just got sloppy with the few seconds remaining....

some fighters kind of do that, but it if you're being that passive and just trying to flee you're inviting the other guy to just let loose only focused on offense, which is actually more dangerous.

At what point? As soon as you're up on the cards, just start running away? Not a great way to win fans or favor with the company.

just dont turn your back to your opponent. Fighters can back away but dont fully turn around and run, leaving your back exposed.

Can't run away from your opponent. Even though we've seen that plenty of times in the past.

Because Overeem tried that before and it didn't work out too well...

tumblr_oa4c6opQ0e1qd4esao1_500.gif
This is the answer you were looking for TS, you don't think that you made the "just run" thing a bit too simple?

How asinine are you?
<codychoke>

Reem tries to be entertaining, and he thought he was almost there, why not have a luxury of "showing of" last 15 seconds, with his arms down as he outclassed oponent.
But his legs and arms could have been very tired.

I rooted for Reem.

not giving enough credit to Jairzinho lulling Alistair into a false sense of security

Back