The entry fee in MMA is why it will never reach at the level of boxing. or even wrestling (amateur )

FedorGOAT

Ultimate Fedorist
Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Lack of system to bring out talent from the grass-root level or a clear pathway of success will always hold back MMA. This is why MMA being in Olympic is important. Many boxers & wrestler to an extent don't make it to pro level, but at least they get the compensation from government programs. Some gets recruited in Coaching other gets some kind govt jobs so even though if you fail to make it you will be sure that you will have something to fall back on.

Now if IOC includes MMA in Olympics it would be a very different beast than the commercial counter part; but so is ammy boxing. A cookie cutter version may not excite you but it is important for talent development.

2. No denying the fact that MMA ( or even Kickboxing) training is expensive.So if you want to train MMA from childhood you would find impossible it impossible if you are coming from financially troubled environment. There is no scholarship. That's where wrestling & boxing will always beat MMA.

Lack of structure is what holding back MMA from expanding. It has expanded from its starting day, but I am afraid it has touched its ceiling. Now to reach next level the time may have come to think about talent development. To invest in amateur scenes. Currently there is none.

MMA promotions like UFC & One have to do that to a certain extent without relying on government funds. Also it needs a wold governing body. Other than that MMA will always remain niche.

1. Lack of system to bring out talent from the grass-root level or a clear pathway of success will always hold back MMA. This is why MMA being in Olympic is important. Many boxers & wrestler to an extent don't make it to pro level, but at least they get the compensation from government programs. Some gets recruited in Coaching other gets some kind govt jobs so even though if you fail to make it you will be sure that you will have something to fall back on.

Now if IOC includes MMA in Olympics it would be a very different beast than the commercial counter part; but so is ammy boxing. A cookie cutter version may not excite you but it is important for talent development.

2. No denying the fact that MMA ( or even Kickboxing) training is expensive.So if you want to train MMA from childhood you would find impossible it impossible if you are coming from financially troubled environment. There is no scholarship. That's where wrestling & boxing will always beat MMA.

Lack of structure is what holding back MMA from expanding. It has expanded from its tarting day, but I am afraid it has touched its ceiling. Now to reach next level the time may have come to think about talent development. To invest in amateur scenes. Currently there is none.

MMA promotions like UFC & One have to do that to a certain extent without relying on government funds. Also it needs a wold governing body. Other than that MMA will always remain niche.
It's not lack of structure. It's that no one starts MMA as a child. The reason very few start training young has nothing to do with cost or exposure, and everything to do with the fact that people see MMA as extremely violent. Very few parents dream of their children becoming cage fighters.

"entry barrier"

It's not lack of structure. It's that no one starts MMA as a child. The reason very few start training young has nothing to do with cost or exposure, and everything to do with the fact that people see MMA as extremely violent. Very few parents dream of their children becoming cage fighters.

If you want one to start training in MMA from his or her childhood then you have to implement a system. Otherwise no parents would think about sending their children to MMA.

One comes after the other.

If you want one to start training in MMA from his or her childhood then you have to implement a system. Otherwise no parents would think about sending their children to MMA.

One comes after the other.
What I'm trying to tell you is that no matter the system, the vast majority of parents will not see MMA as a good thing. Itd be like raising your child to be a stripper or something.

No parent looks at their child and thinks "I'm gonna help you get CTE as violently as legally possible"

"entry barrier"

To a certain extent you can call it a fee as well. The money you will invest in training. Very few are Ortega or Ngannou who would be fortunate to get the opportunity to train for free. You can start Boxing or Wrestling basically at free of cost., but not in MMA or other kinds of TMA.

Last edited:
I hope mma never gets to the Olympics, they'll change the rules to exclude anything that might hint at violence.

I believe MMA is too young to the point of kids looking up to their idols and wanting to follow their footsteps.

To a certain extent you can call it fee as well. The money you will invest in training. Very few are Ortega or Ngannou who would be fortunate to get the opportunity to train for free. You can start Boxing or Wrestling basically at free of cost., but not in MMA or other kinds of TMA.
OH ok I guess you're right. Cheers

What I'm trying to tell you is that no matter the system, the vast majority of parents will not see MMA as a good thing. Itd be like raising your child to be a stripper or something.

No parent looks at their child and thinks "I'm gonna help you get CTE"

They are outliers no doubt but you will find plenty of parents ready to invest in their children's future for them to progress in Boxing & Wrestling ( at least in ammy level). If we can build an environment where parents will give MMA a go, at least for an hobby; now that that would be quite a progress.

Lack of structure is what holding back MMA from expanding. It has expanded from its starting day, but I am afraid it has touched its ceiling. Now to reach next level the time may have come to think about talent development. To invest in amateur scenes. Currently there is none.

Regards your point about boxing, in the UK (which I assume you are from being a Burnley fan) you only get a grant for being on the Olympic team. That probably isn't the case in most other countries where amateurs still have to fund themselves.
And Olympic level amatuers will make up a fraction of a % of actual amateur fighters. So there is no difference from making it in MMA or boxing. In this country the problem imo is the lack of decent MMA gyms as opposed to boxing. We are lucky where I live as one of the best MMA gyms in the country is situated here, and they put on fairly large local shows. That isn't the case for much of britain but boxing gyms are everywhere
From my personal experience training at an MMA gym is not much more expensive than boxing. I boxed and kickboxed at an MMA gym until recently. probably cost me an extra score per month

Regards your point about boxing, in the UK (which I assume you are from being a Burnley fan) you only get a grant for being on the Olympic team. That probably isn't the case in most other countries where amateurs still have to fund themselves.
And Olympic level amatuers will make up a fraction of a % of actual amateur fighters. So there is no difference from making it in MMA or boxing. In this country the problem imo is the lack of decent MMA gyms as opposed to boxing. We are lucky where I live as one of the best MMA gyms in the country is situated here, and they put on fairly large local shows. That isn't the case for much of britain but boxing gyms are everywhere
From my personal experience training at an MMA gym is not much more expensive than boxing. I boxed and kickboxed at an MMA gym until recently. probably cost me an extra score per month

I am not from England (That Ashley Barnes AV is there for banters, actually an LFC fan) but points taken.

The biggest thing holding back MMA is CTE. Shit, even Football is now under fire due to the CTE shit with parents not wanting their kids to play highschool football (although obviously there are still millions of parents who want their kids to play).

A cure for CTE is the golden ticket for all combat sports.

I don't think the cost is that expensive, I take my daughter to BJJ and kickboxing at £5 a session.

I am not from England (That Ashley Barnes AV is there for banters, actually an LFC fan) but points taken.

I do think that MMA in the Olympics would be a very positive step. I think we are a long way away from that though unfortunately

Back