Was Rich or Chael the better longtime #2 MW?

TheSpider

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rich Franklin and Cheal Sonnen were both longtime #2 MWs who couldn’t beat the champ (Anderson finished both impressively 2X).

To me, Ace was the better longtime #2 MW. The former MW champ (with 2 title defenses) had a more well rounded skillset than Sonnen (who never tasted UFC gold).

Prime Rich beats prime Cheal in a 5 round fight via late sub or TKO.

What do you think?

Gonna roll with Franklin.
Great fighter for his time.
Dude was a real beast

Jim-Carrey-Contact-Information.jpg

Rich was a fighter. Chael shoulda did more roids and went to WWE, he's entertaining outside the cage but never in it.

I love Franklin but I think prime Chael had good enough wrestling to dictate the pace and get Rich down pretty quick.

I do agree that I believe Rich was much more well rounded.
That damn wrestling Chael had was pretty relentless though.

Rich was obviously a better fighter. Chael was the greater fighter in terms of impact.

Rich actually got some wins and didn't get busted for steroids. Rich is the better fighter and person.

Chael was not the #2 MW for very long at all.

Sonnen might have been the number two mw for a few weeks?

Rich via actually winning when it mattered most, sometimes
<Fedor23>

Rich is the fighter and human being Chael can only wish to be.

I would always pick the guy who actually won a championship, and defended it. Not the guy that was always chasing it.

Rich was a champion and a good champ until one of the goats came along. Chael was not a great fighter, he was a tough match up against Anderson. Take away the surprising domination he showed against Anderson for 4 1/2 rounds and he was an ordinary contender.

Rich Franklin and Cheal Sonnen were both longtime #2 MWs who couldn’t beat the champ (Anderson finished both impressively 2X).

To me, Ace was the better longtime #2 MW. The former MW champ (with 2 title defenses) had a more well rounded skillset than Sonnen (who never tasted UFC gold).

Prime Rich beats prime Cheal in a 5 round fight via late sub or TKO.

What do you think?
Rich Franklin would beat the absolute shit out of Chael Sonnen, both in their primes and right now.

Rich Franklin would beat the absolute shit out of Chael Sonnen, both in their primes and right now.

I think it would have to be a 5 round fight for Franklin to win.

I think In a 3 round fight Chael would do nothing but spam takedowns. Franklin was known to have very good endurance and cardio so the later rounds would most likely help him.

Last edited:
I have Rich winning, better all around at everything except the wrestling, but I don't really remember him on his back too much so maybe his TDD was good enough to keep the "Bad Guy" off of him.

And his cardio was never an issue so I see him either putting him away in the later rounds or winning a decision, at least with a 5 rounder.

Yet, if Chael was able to implement his wrestling I could see him edging it out. I'm leaning towards 70/30 Rich " The Ace" Franklin.

I dunno about #2, but Lyoto drinks #1

Franklin was the #1 guy for a good run and a very dominant champ

Most people though he would beat Silva when they first fought

Silva was a “pride reject” coming off a cage rage run with a win over Chris leben

All chael had was his first fight with Anderson which he “almost” upset him

Rich Franklin is to Robert Whittaker as
Chael Sonnen is to Kelvin Gastellum

Back