Charles Oliveira vs. Edson Barboza [Rec'd]

Charles Oliveira vs. Edson Barboza

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Matches to Make After UFC Fight Night 164

https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Matches-to-Make-After-UFC-Fight-Night-164-165943

Charles Oliveira vs. Edson Barboza:

Oliveira needed less than 90 seconds to take care of business, as he wiped out former Cage Fury Fighting Championships titleholder Jared Gordon with punches in the first round of their lightweight showcase. Gordon met his end 1:26 into Round 1. Oliveira has rattled off six straight victories, all of them finishes, since his technical knockout loss to Paul Felder a little less than two years ago and appears poised to make a run at the Top 10 in one of the sport’s deepest divisions. Barboza last fought at UFC 242, where he wound up on the wrong side of a contentious split decision in a rematch with the aforementioned Felder on Sept. 7.

Read more at https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Matches-to-Make-After-UFC-Fight-Night-164-165943

I think Barboza fucks Oliveira up, personally.

He looks good against non-ranked fighters but seems to lose against the top fighters of the division.

Edson is still a high level striker with a good chin. I don't think K1 Do Bronx tales it unless it hits the ground.

I don’t think they will fight but I think it’s a bad fight for Oliveira. Oliveira’s best shot is clinching and slamming and then going right for the sub.

Edson can keep the distance and pick him apart with strikes

Barboza struggles with pressure and Oliveira does pressure his opponents, but I'm not yet convinced the level of pressure is going to be high enough to beat Barboza. Also, Barboza inflicts a lot of pain when given the chance. Oliveira would have to take his mental strength to a new level to deal with it. Or his physical aggression. Does he have that next level? It's a great test fight for him.

Barboza by beat down in the first

Charles has looked great in his last 5 fights, but when he starts facing top competition he folds. I would pick Barboza to win.

EDIT: I wish Charles wouldn't fold, he is fun to watch and goes for finishes.

Oliveira has finally turned a corner with his striking, hit his physical prime at 30 years old, & isn't depleting himself to make 145. Will he beat Barboza? Maybe maybe-not, but he is clearly not the same guy his critics want him to still be.

I mean nobody thought RDA was going to beat Cowboy/RDA/Pettis after he lost to Guida, Stephens, Tibau, & Dunham. Nobody thought Poirier would get to a title shot at 155 lbs after being smoked by Conor & easily beaten by Cub at 145. Anthony Smith, Robbie Lawler, Santos, Whittaker(lost to Court McGee), Max(Leonard Garcia), etc etc.

What do these fighters all have in common? A+ physical tools & perseverance.

Back