Why did Romero never use his wrestling ?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
From all the fights I've seen, he barely uses his world class A-level wrestling to put guys on their but and samsh the shit out of them.
I like the fact he likes to stand and strike, because it's fucking exciting, but I Don't understand...

Cuz he gasses easy

hi-res-317f4b12719e8917d4c72d59904d07b3_crop_north.jpg

Last edited:
Dem wrasslers always fall in love with their hands. Is normal.

He uses his wrestling for defense Chocolate L style

Did you miss the Weidman fight? Teh Chris couldn't do shit.

Maybe he will against Izzy because the guy is just too good in striking...

In the UFC he only really did versus Brad Tavares, a little bit against Tim Kennedy just to mix it up, and to finish Machida at the very end. He favors knocking people out clearly, like a lot of other wrestlers. But you're right that he should definitely use it more, his ground and pound is scary.

Too much muscle mass, too old - wrestling requires a lot of stamina and gas. Romero will be done round 1 with chain wrestling, his style is built on short bursts of action - that's how he is able to stay in the game.

If we analyse his last opponents:

-He tried to wrestle Borrachinha but was stuffed most of the time

-Same against Whittaker

-It would've been stupid to take the fight against Rockhold to the ground

-Same thing against Jacare, no point in taking down an elite BJJ guy

- He did land a few takedowns against Weidman

- Yoel successfully took down and brutalized Machida

- Landed a few takedowns in his early fights against Tavares, Kennedy etc ..

If we analyse his last opponents:

-He tried to wrestle Borrachinha but was stuffed most of the time

-Same against Whittaker

-It would've been stupid to take the fight against Rockhold to the ground

-Same thing against Jacare, no point in taking down an elite BJJ guy

- He did land a few takedowns against Weidman

- Yoel successfully took down and brutalized Machida

- Landed a few takedowns in his early fights against Tavares, Kennedy etc ..

Man I have to Watch those fights again, I have completely forgotten how the Weidman fight went down.

From all the fights I've seen, he barely uses his world class A-level wrestling to put guys on their but and samsh the shit out of them.
I like the fact he likes to stand and strike, because it's fucking exciting, but I Don't understand...
Because like Woodley, they don't have the gas to use their wrestling.

Insert Woodleyracist.gif.

Becus he’s made of steel apparently and will eventually beat you if time doesn’t run out

Hes over 40 and jacked. Wrestling is a young mans sport and hes had tons of injuries. Hes been at the very top for a while and arguably beat the champ when he fought for the title. Id say he should stick to his gameplan and not some sherbros gameplan.

I've actually always had similar thoughts but his grappling is very limited. He has excellent takedowns but is not as good at riding and maintaining top position which is an area that freestyle and Greco folks generally lack when crossing over to MMA.

Hes over 40 and jacked. Wrestling is a young mans sport and hes had tons of injuries. Hes been at the very top for a while and arguably beat the champ when he fought for the title. Id say he should stick to his gameplan and not some sherbros gameplan.

Chill bro, it was just a question.

because he's only good at taking people down, he's not good at holding them down.

Back