Beneil Dariush's last two fights performance of the night, is he a little underrated?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this as I do like Beneil yet I don't really hear much about him, maybe cause he's not the most active fighter or is he ranked however I've always felt he was a good fighter and looking at his recent fights he's got performance of the night wins over Drew Dober and Frank Camacho where he finished the fights in the first and second rounds.

He's also pretty good on UFC Now if you guys have ever watched that, he's appeared as a guest a couple of times analysing fights, talking about recent UFC and also doing the whole quiz and top 5 picks etc...

I was kinda wondering what you guys thought to Beneil, favourite fights etc... and anyone you would like to see him go up against?

Hard fight for anyone, hes been given a chance to move into the elite of the div and hasnt gotten over the line.

He's a good fighter and fun to watch. Unfortunately for him he's buried in a division full of killers. Which I think makes him a bit unknown as opposed to underrated..

Gatekeeper to the top ten I would say, would beat most people in the division.

The flukey KO against Hernandez really hurt his standing, I'm confident he'd beat him 9 out of 10 times, though.

he win another fight, and he'll be considered the new guy to beat khabib lol

Big fan, always watching when he's fighting. I like when he uses his striking to set up his awesome BJJ. Much smarter, imo, like Glover has been doing.

Great guy, he can beat everybody outside of the top 15, but he gets beat by everybody in the top 15. Always nice to watch his fights though.

He is pretty similar to Charles Oliveira. Great gatekeep, but not enough will to beat the top ones. Fun to watch though.

I’m a fan of the guy. His striking looked great in his last fight. I love his aggression

I wouldn’t say he’s underrated though, he’s had some brutal losses. He might be able to crack top ten again though

He's a good fighter and fun to watch. Unfortunately for him he's buried in a division full of killers. Which I think makes him a bit unknown as opposed to underrated..

Yeah I think that is probably the case to be honest, he also seems like he could be a little more active too however he has been fighting about twice a year.

I like him though, he is fun to watch :)

Big fan, always watching when he's fighting. I like when he uses his striking to set up his awesome BJJ. Much smarter, imo, like Glover has been doing.

Yeah he does seem to be quite intelligent with the way he sets up his fights :)

I’m a fan of the guy. His striking looked great in his last fight. I love his aggression

I wouldn’t say he’s underrated though, he’s had some brutal losses. He might be able to crack top ten again though

Yes the aggression thing too :)

Hes a very good fighter thats had some bad loses, he was touching up Edson on the feet before being brutaly KOd and caught by Hernandez ( i think thats his name) so most people have written him off

Hes a very good fighter thats had some bad loses, he was touching up Edson on the feet before being brutaly KOd and caught by Hernandez ( i think thats his name) so most people have written him off

Yeah he had a bit of a streak there didn't he as he had the Barboza loss, then a draw and then a loss to Hernandez all together but that seems a common thing anyway in MMA with most fighters at some point but I hear you though :)

I was just thinking about this as I do like Beneil yet I don't really hear much about him, maybe cause he's not the most active fighter or is he ranked however I've always felt he was a good fighter and looking at his recent fights he's got performance of the night wins over Drew Dober and Frank Camacho where he finished the fights in the first and second rounds.

He's also pretty good on UFC Now if you guys have ever watched that, he's appeared as a guest a couple of times analysing fights, talking about recent UFC and also doing the whole quiz and top 5 picks etc...

I was kinda wondering what you guys thought to Beneil, favourite fights etc... and anyone you would like to see him go up against?
By this post I can only assume you did not watch the Dober fight.

Dober beat the living shit out of Dariush in round 1. It is a miracle that Dariush was not knocked out cold.

Great skills but his chin has let him down on more than occasion

By this post I can only assume you did not watch the Dober fight.

Dober beat the living shit out of Dariush in round 1. It is a miracle that Dariush was not knocked out cold.

I did and Beniel got performance of the night in that fight.

Drew Dober though is another I really like, he's got Kelvin 2 soon.

Last edited:

He's actually an excellent fighter, very well rounded, since at Kings MMA his standup has really come leaps and bounds.
His ground game is elite, I remember him totally out-grappling Diego Ferreira (who is a 3rd Degree BJJ black belt). He was also outkicking and outboxing Edson Barbosa, until he got caught with a knee. Unfortunately he got caught with a sucker punch against Alexander Hernandez (this can happen to any fighter), also due to him stupidly keeping his hands low- the old cliche keep your hands up.

I honestly think a few years back, barring injuries and bad luck he could be a regular top 5. But we have some real killers in the top 10 LW division, so not sure how far he can go now.

I think he was ranked in the top 10 at some point.

He is a really good fighter. He was beating Barboza until the knee, muredered James Vick too.

I think he can beat a lot of top dogs but LW is a shark tank full of killers.

He's actually an excellent fighter, very well rounded, since at Kings MMA his standup has really come leaps and bounds.
His ground game is elite, I remember him totally out-grappling Diego Ferreira (who is a 3rd Degree BJJ black belt). He was also outkicking and outboxing Edson Barbosa, until he got caught with a knee. Unfortunately he got caught with a sucker punch against Alexander Hernandez (this can happen to any fighter), also due to him stupidly keeping his hands low- the old cliche keep your hands up.

I honestly think a few years back, barring injuries and bad luck he could be a regular top 5. But we have some real killers in the top 10 LW division, so not sure how far he can go now.

Yeah, he is a talented dude, he seems to be one of those guys who's been around for a while and on a few cards too but never really broke the glass ceiling if you get what I mean :)

I'd like to see him fight again soon, I know he's only just fought on the Askren and Maia event recently but he is a good exciting fighter to watch I think who's a little under the radar, possibly due to what @Reach4theSky mentioned really but it is interesting when he's added to a card.

There's a few fighters like that for me though who are just kind of middle guys in the UFC but when they're added to a card they spice it up for me even though they're not really spoken about, Beneil is one of those guys, Drew Dober as mentioned above is another, Mike Perry (although is spoke about often) always spices up a card soon as he's announced and even Doo Ho Choi too who;s fighting again in December which really comes from the Cub fight for me more than anything but he's just such an exciting fighter to watch.

There's quite a lot of guys like that for me, I did a thread about unranked fighters and which one's we like if you fancy a read.

Some of those I mentioned in this thread here are exactly those kinda guys when added to a card for me. Have a browse and interact, I think you'll really like this thread and it's good to have these discussions on here as opposed to the same fighters we tend to talk about all the time :)

This here: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...t-to-some-unranked-guys-for-a-change.4042841/ :)

I think he was ranked in the top 10 at some point.

He is a really good fighter. He was beating Barboza until the knee, muredered James Vick too.

I think he can beat a lot of top dogs but LW is a shark tank full of killers.

100%, the LW is such a stacked division though with so much competition there I think but I hear you :)

Back