The grappling bias

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why does so much people have such a strong bias against grapplers saying that they are boring, of course there are indeed boring wrestlers like usman but there also exciting wrestlers like khabib, meanwhile boring strikers dont get near the same amount of shit. Lyoto used to be pretty boring in a good amount of his fights anderson as well

combat sports in general are boring, but grappling is super boring.

i watched some women nfl and that shit was better than most mma/kickboxing and boxing fights.

Eh because it kinda is. I would rather watch a Conor, Stylebender, Silva, Masvidal, etc then a Khabib, Colby, Usman, Askren.

Don't speak so much truth, you will stun the narrow minds of elitist.

You can like 1 aspect and hate another. Relate it to music, you don't have to like it all to enjoy it.

Eh because it kinda is. I would rather watch a Conor, Stylebender, Silva, Masvidal, etc then a Khabib, Colby, Usman, Askren.
So khabib against connor was more boring than anderson vs maia? Any style can be exciting if they are going for the finish, to your point guys like usman are indeed boring but hey are because they play it safe

Probably because a lot of times they are.

I wouldn't call it bias, just preference really. A big amount of MMA fans and viewers neither grapple themselves, nor do they see appeal in watching elite grappling technique on display. And that's fine, it's not a fighter's job to be entertaining, it's their job to win fights.

When speaking about grappler bias in MMA, I rather think of referee work and judges scoring being often a bit too heavy in favor of grapplers, which is why the lay and pray concept is still a more effective tool than it should be. That's something that actually matters.

A lot of people say machida is a boring point fighter. Mostly came after the hendo fight
He is not a point fighter, but he is so dependent on his counter punches that even before the big kos that he had the fight was a snoozefest

The grappling requires a fundamental knowledge of the basics. Without it it can be confusing to people .

Everyone can relate to a punch or kick it's clear as day.

Folk style wrestling is all about position. Fundamentally sound wrestlers don't take risk. Leads to boring matches. I love a battle of will and concentration between high level wrestlers but I don't expect a non wrestler to be the least bit interested. This bleeds over to their fighting style as it has been ingrained into them since early childhood.

i watched some women nfl and that shit was better than most mma/kickboxing and boxing fights.

Boxing and kickboxing are pretty boring regularly but mma is a mixed bag. At the highest levels it's extremely difficult to top the best mma action. when a fight is a clash of styles with both fighters being relatively even, especially 65% striking 35% grappling, its tough to beat mma for entertainment. Then there are those highlight reel moments. Its not like basketball or football or whatever where highlights are relatively the same with little variations. There are a ridiculous amount of variations in mma highlights, and where one supersedes another that's similar, a new standard is set that raises the level of fighting as a whole. People like to compare mma to sports that have been around for 75 to 100 years. But the rapid evolution of the fight game is incomparable. Martial arts have been around for thousands of years. The amount martial arts have grown since mma went worldwide in the internet age is mind boggling.

Because you need to be knowledgeable to appreciate high level grappling. Anybody can appreciate a punch to the face

Because most MMA fans got into it because they thought it was just a cage brawl. Now they bitch about the "arts" par of Mixed Martial Arts. They don't like high level technical striking either unless someone is getting the piss beat out of them

Well, because wrestling is not fighting, it was never meant to be about punishment and damage, but to control the other. Somewhere in its path they decided that submission would cut, but that's really not the idea behind wrestling in the first place.

Just look at Covington vs. Maia, Covington had a superior standup to Maia, he could have finished Maia ni the first round had him decided to fight. But you know who we're talking about, right?
Covington kept the whole time only looking to score points and avoid fighting, he only chose to fight when he was 20-18 and less than a couple of minutes until his decision.
I'd love to say that was the only boring fight Convington made, but it's not, in fact it's the exact opposite.

I don't want to sound triggered or anything, but you guys need to stop denying the obvious and accept that wrestling is not fighting, just a way to exploit the rules and win by clock. If wasn't for wrestling UFC would have never made into US and possibly Canada.

I would watch MT/Dutch KB or Boxing all day over Abu Dhabi (or whatever its called) BJJ Touney . That said I love watching Ryan Hall in MMA -its hilarious and awesome

Back