Where would you like to see Calvin Kattar go next and how do you feel he will do long term?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Calvin Kattar is an interesting one, just watching him now and he's talking about how over in Russia it feels a little hostile but as he's relatively unknown it's been ok and it got me thinking how he's a bit of a diamond in the rough basically.

The best way a fighter can rise is organically without hype, there's no pressure as when you're hyped you have all these expectations and eye's constantly on you where as when you're in a place such as Calvin's you can do it in your own terms without all the added pressure which is probably the best way to go.

Even though he lost to Zabit we've heard nothing but praise in regards to Calvin and he's seems to have impressed pretty much everyone, so I was wondering where you'd like to see Calvin go and how you feel he can do within the division?

For me personally I'd love to see him get among the top, he doesn't seem to have lost his place in the rankings as he's still 11th with no move where as Zabit has gone up one place. I think Calvin has the tools and the talent to make his way up and fight people such as Edgar, Zombie, Stephens etc., Max and Ortega seem like tough challenges but as he progresses in his game I could honestly see him competing among the best and personally I would love to see it.

I wouldn't mind seeing him against Jeremy Stephens, Korean Zombie etc.. and even eventually against Yair.

Of course there's Aldo however he seems to have moved to BW but I do feel Kattar could be one of those talents who slowly but surely make their way up which I would really like to see.

Thoughts, I'd love to get some vibes here from you guys also :)

Last edited:
I might be slightly biased but i think he'll fight for a title at some point.

He's really good. Zabit was one of the absolute worst matchups possible so i don't put much into that...

He's really good. Zabit was one of the absolute worst matchups possible so i don't put much into that...

I'd like to see it, he deserves it :)

I think he'll be a solid mid 10er. Would like to see him get a win over a top 12 guy though.

Stephens might be a good matchup right now.

I don't know, run it back with Moicano? in the long term, I think he'll end up in the top five eventually.

I think so, too. His boxing is great, tdd aswell and he seems to have upped his defensive game, especially against kicks by a wide margin.
He'll be a thread to everyone when he's managed to complete his game and will hit his prime.

Maybe Stephens (for the quick turnaround) or Cub next. Both good fights.
I see him at top 5 in a couple of years with OGs like Aldo and Edgar leaving and others somwhat declining. Good fighter imo. Zabit was a pretty bad style matchup for him and he handled it well and might have gotten the win in a 5 rnder.

Hook him up with Felder. S ol meone needs to shut Felder up and I think he can do it.

I think in the long term he'll be a very good gatekeeper to the elite. I don't personally ever see him fighting for a title, but he's a tough matchup for anyone and will give guys a very good test.

I feel that he loses to most of the elite, though. Maybe he has a Mike Bisping run at some point.

He's tough as fuck and has crispy hands.

He'd give Holloway serious problems imo

I agree with Max, it's easy to write off a guy who's not as highly ranked when talking about the higher ranked opponents but I do feel Kattar has got some real talent and like you say he's handy too and tough alongside that.

I do like the idea of the Stephens fight at the moment too :)

I think he'll be a solid mid 10er. Would like to see him get a win over a top 12 guy though.

Stephens might be a good matchup right now.

Yeah I'm, really liking the Stephens fight too :)

Hook him up with Felder. S ol meone needs to shut Felder up and I think he can do it.

Felder is fighting LW at the moment :)

I agree with Max, it's easy to write off a guy who's not as highly ranked when talking about the higher ranked opponents but I do feel Kattar has got some real talent and like you say he's handy too and tough alongside that.

I do like the idea of the Stephens fight at the moment too :)

Yeah I'm, really liking the Stephens fight too :)

Felder is fighting LW at the moment :)
Stephens would be fun

I didn't really know of him until he was on the same card as Zabit and Khabib. I was still in shock of my boy Lauzon losing to Gruetzemacher also on the same card and then thinking who's this f**king Gruetzemacher guy... I don't pay attention to TUF anymore :) I only slightly remember because I was thinking "Damn, three Russians on the main card in NY." On that note, I'm in the same boat as you. I'd like to see him progress and keep fighting his way to a title shot eventually, as I would any new up and comer in the UFC.

Stephens would be fun

Yeah it really would and it feels like the right next step for him also :)

I didn't really know of him until he was on the same card as Zabit and Khabib. I was still in shock of my boy Lauzon losing to Gruetzemacher also on the same card and then thinking who's this f**king Gruetzemacher guy... I don't pay attention to TUF anymore :) I only slightly remember because I was thinking "Damn, three Russians on the main card in NY." On that note, I'm in the same boat as you. I'd like to see him progress and keep fighting his way to a title shot eventually, as I would any new up and comer in the UFC.

Yeah, he's been under the radar for a while but as I say in the OP I think that's sometimes a good thing.

I mean take Johnny Walker for example, all the pressure he had to win all the time and now he's had the loss it's really affected him and understandably too because you have people in your ear telling you how great you are all the time, you have all this pressure to win constantly, eye's are always on you etc.. it's too much and it's not an organic rise which someone like Kattar is doing right now. They can concentrate on their game to it's full potential as well as their progression in the UFC which when they have the hype and pressure on them it kind of takes a back seat and then mistakes are made and quite often losses then they feel affected by it also as opposed to taking the loss and progressing, they have a whole different process to go through on top when they are hyped and the pressure is there.

Joe Lauzon is awesome, his last fight was great too and the reception he got was amazing. Looks like that may be his last fight but if so what a send off he had and a fantastic fight to end on, I do love Lauzon also.

I've actually got a huge event poster from Swanson vs Lobov on my wall and his signature is one that's on there, I think he's great :)

Calvin Kattar is an interesting one, just watching him now and he's talking about how over in Russia it feels a little hostile but as he's relatively unknown it's been ok and it got me thinking how he's a bit of a diamond in the rough basically.

The best way a fighter can rise is organically without hype, there's no pressure as when you're hyped you have all these expectations and eye's constantly on you where as when you're in a place such as Calvin's you can do it in your own terms without all the added pressure which is probably the best way to go.

Even though he lost to Zabit we've heard nothing but praise in regards to Calvin and he's seems to have impressed pretty much everyone, so I was wondering where you'd like to see Calvin go and how you feel he can do within the division?

For me personally I'd love to see him get among the top, he doesn't seem to have lost his place in the rankings as he's still 11th with no move where as Zabit has gone up one place. I think Calvin has the tools and the talent to make his way up and fight people such as Edgar, Zombie, Stephens etc., Max and Ortega seem like tough challenges but as he progresses in his game I could honestly see him competing among the best and personally I would love to see it.

I wouldn't mind seeing him against Jeremy Stephens, Korean Zombie etc.. and even eventually against Yair.

Of course there's Aldo however he seems to have moved to BW but I do feel Kattar could be one of those talents who slowly but surely make their way up which I would really like to see.

Thoughts, I'd love to get some vibes here from you guys also :)
Kattar beats them all in a 5 rounder.

What.

Maybe Stephens (for the quick turnaround) or Cub next. Both good fights.
I see him at top 5 in a couple of years with OGs like Aldo and Edgar leaving and others somwhat declining. Good fighter imo. Zabit was a pretty bad style matchup for him and he handled it well and might have gotten the win in a 5 rnder.

Yeah, Aldo has moved to BW now hasn't he so I'm not sure he'll even compete in FW again either.

I agree with you in regards to the 5 rounder, you could tell Kattar was a bit pissed about it but he's a good dude so he didn't really start shitting on anyone.

Yeah, Aldo has moved to BW now hasn't he so I'm not sure he'll even compete in FW again either.

I agree with you in regards to the 5 rounder, you could tell Kattar was a bit pissed about it but he's a good dude so he didn't really start shitting on anyone.
Yep but on the other hand well never know.
Too bad for Kattar tho since the UFC has the tendency to keep fighters at bay who lost more than one top matchup outside the top 10. They might refuse him some top opportunities in the future.

Yep but on the other hand well never know.
Too bad for Kattar tho since the UFC has the tendency to keep fighters at bay who lost more than one top matchup outside the top 10. They might refuse him some top opportunities in the future.

Yeah, I hope not though, I think if the fans want to see him (which they do) and he keeps performing (which he has) then they'll continue to book him quite enthusiastically. He seems to have a lot of support in the industry too from the fighters and coaches of other teams etc. who all really praise Kattar which is great.

I mean, Dana was really bigging up Doo Ho Choi at one point where he really felt he was going to be the next star, which Dana wasn't wrong about because he really could have been and he did say if he gets past Cub Swanson this weekend (the week of the event of course) then it could really elevate him yet Cub smashed him in that fight but Choi still looked great and a million dollars of which the UFC couldn't wait to book him again, he just had to do his military duties which held him back however they're all excited again about Choi's return in December now so if Kattar keeps performing the way he is and getting the love and praise from the fans and the industry he really could go on to do big things with our support :)

I'd really like to see it, I think it'd be great to see him do well and rise within the rankings. I think he can too as he's shown clear progression every time he fights so we could really see him among the best soon fingers crossed :)

Back