Masvidal's grappling

Beherit

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot has been said about Masvidal's striking which is obviously really good for the WW division, but I think people really underestimate Jorge's grappling abilities which are among the best in the UFC ( not elite, but still among the best ).

Concerning his BJJ, it is obviously very good :

- he was able to control with ease nate's guard, unlike an Anthony Pettis ( who is known for his BJJ ) for exemple.

- he submitted Chiesa who is also known for his grappling abilities

- the supposed elite grappler ,that Ben Askren is, showed us lately how deadly Maia's back control is, and Jorge still managed to not get submitted while having Maia on his back for long minutes into the fight. Not many fighters in the WW division and below can survive that long with Maia on their back ...

- talking about Maia, this one said many times that Masvidal was the opponent he faced with the best BJJ, coming from a BJJ wizard that Maia is, it is really a compliment.

Concerning his wrestling, it is the most underestimate part of his game :

- he was able to defend a lot of near prime Maia's takedowns, something many fighters couldnt ( condit, sonnen etc )

giphy.gif

- here he is outwrestling nate ( not the greatest accomplishment but still impressive considering nate worked a lot on his wrestling )

ZZyTJgk.gif

- here he is countering Nate's knee bare attempt with a peterson roll
C44pplG.gif

- he was able to defend 9 out of 12 takedowns from henderson

HopefulClosedLacewing-max-1mb.gif

- and the best exemple of his under estimate wrestling is his fight against darren till. Till is known to have a very good takedown defense thanks to his size advantage.
Indeed Till was able to defend Gastelum multiple takedowns attempt

Pm5o0U.gif

and he was even able to defend the powerful takedowns attempt by the D1 wrestler ;) Tyron Woodley

KjedYV.gif

However even if Till takedown defense is very solid, he couldnt defend masvidal's slick takedown attempt

s6t1N3.gif

( I am not saying masvidal is a better wrestler than woodley or gastelum, just saying that his MMA wrestling is very under estimate )

- With all those arguments, I believe masvidal's grappling could be enough to give other strikers problems in the future ( in a potential fight against conor or nick diaz lol ).

- Moreover in a fight between colby and masvidal, I would favor Jorge. He knows Colby's game by heart, and colby never real adapt to his opponent, unlike masvidal who always follows a different gameplan depending on his opponent's style. Add the fact that Colby never really showed great bjj or top control, masvidal will be able to get up, or threat with submission.

- Jorge is probably praying for Colby to beat Usman, I believe Usman is a far tougher match up for Jorge. The size difference will be a big factor in favor of kamaru, add to this the fact that kamaru is the best MMA wrestler in the WW division today with the best cardio. Not a good fight for Jorge ...

Discuss.

EDIT :

After watching UFC 245, I am even more convince that Masvidal would beat Colby. Colby showed so much heart, but his gass tank wasnt impressive against Usman, WHY ? the body shots.

Usman landed so many body shots it was crazy, and masvidal is the best in the division in landing body shots ( his middle kick is probably the best in the UFC at moment ... ). This big weakness in Colby's game would most likely be exploit by Masvidal.

On the other hand, I am even more convinced that Usman most likely beat Masvidal, his chin is strong enough to take some big shots from Masvidal before scoring the takedowns. Usman is fucking huge, he'll take Masvidal at will.

Sorry for masvidal fans, but he will never get the WW title, unless edward beat usman ( which is entirely possible ... )

Last edited:
Yes masvidal is the most complete fighter on the UFC of today i agree

I'll tell you what... Whatever Jorge can do.... Leon can do better!
312_Leon_Edwards.0.0.jpg

"Fam is ducking crazy fam! Man got no shit on me."

I'll tell you what... Whatever Jorge can do.... Leon can do better!
312_Leon_Edwards.0.0.jpg

"Fam is ducking crazy fam! Man got no shit on me."
Leon is a beast, I believe he is the next champ, 2 nd best striker in the division in my opinion( after wonderboy ), so well rounded, the dude is the english GSP.

Damn i didnt realize chiesa literally tapped with 1 second left.. wheres his corner at in that situation

A lot has been said about Masvidal's striking which is obviously really good for the WW division, but I think people really underestimate Jorge's grappling abilities which are among the best in the UFC ( not elite, but still among the best ).

Concerning his BJJ, it is obviously very good :

- he was able to control with ease nate's guard, unlike an Anthony Pettis ( who is known for his BJJ ) for exemple.

- he submitted Chiesa who is also known for his grappling abilities

- the supposed elite grappler ,that Ben Askren is, showed us lately how deadly Maia's back control is, and Jorge still managed to not get submitted while having Maia on his back for long minutes into the fight. Not many fighters in the WW division and below can survive that long with Maia on their back ...

- talking about Maia, this one said many times that Masvidal was the opponent he faced with the best BJJ, coming from a BJJ wizard that Maia is, it is really a compliment.

Concerning his wrestling, it is the most underestimate part of his game :

- he was able to defend a lot of near prime Maia's takedowns, something many fighters couldnt ( condit, sonnen etc )

giphy.gif

- he was able to defend 9 out of 12 takedowns from henderson

HopefulClosedLacewing-max-1mb.gif

- and the best exemple of his under estimate wrestling is his fight against darren till. Till is known to have a very good takedown defense thanks to his size advantage.
Indeed Till was able to defend Gastelum multiple takedowns attempt

Pm5o0U.gif

and he was even able to defend the powerful takedowns attempt by the D1 wrestler Tyron Woodley

KjedYV.gif

However even if Till takedown defense is very solid, he couldnt defend masvidal's slick takedown attempt

s6t1N3.gif

( I am not saying masvidal is a better wrestler than woodley or gastelum, just saying that his MMA wrestling is very under estimate )

- With all those arguments, I believe masvidal's grappling could be enough to give other strikers problems in the future ( in a potential fight against conor or nick diaz lol ).

- Moreover in a fight between colby and masvidal, I would favor Jorge. He knows Colby's game by heart, and colby never real adapt to his opponent, unlike masvidal who always follows a different gameplan depending on his opponent's style. Add the fact that Colby never really showed great bjj or top control, masvidal will be able to get up, or threat with submission.

- Jorge is probably praying for Colby to beat Usman, I believe Usman is a far tougher match up for Jorge. The size difference will be a big factor in favor of kamaru, add to this the fact that kamaru is the best MMA wrestler in the WW division today with the best cardio. Not a good fight for Jorge ...

Discuss.

People didn't realize before the Nate fight. They thought he could just box. His grappling is very good. He can kick, he has a very well-rounded game. Add to that he is a born (mentality) fighter and you have a dangerous dude. He was just in another league from Nate.

People didn't realize before the Nate fight. They thought he could just box. His grappling is very good. He can kick, he has a very well-rounded game. Add to that he is a born (mentality) fighter and you have a dangerous dude. He was just in another league from Nate.
he has the best middle kick in the UFC with Yair

His grappling is solid, but not MMA elite from what I've seen. I think both Usman and Colby handle him with their relentless pace and high level grappling. Jorge definitely has a puncher's chance against both though, his power is looking legit as of late.

Masvidal is legit in all areas. Obviously, striking is his forte, but he is defensively sound on the mat and is a good opportunistic grappler in scrambles and can sink in some solid subs. Dude trained with Colby and and there is footage of him training wrestling with Yoel as a partner. Askren probably would have struggled to keep Masvidal down or probably wouldn't have mounted any kind of offensive there. With a five round fight, I'd think Askren would have gotten beaten up on the feet and possibly even in tie ups.

Masvidal is legit in all areas. Obviously, striking is his forte, but he is defensively sound on the mat and is a good opportunistic grappler in scrambles and can sink in some solid subs. Dude trained with Colby and and there is footage of him training wrestling with Yoel as a partner. Askren probably would have struggled to keep Masvidal down or probably wouldn't have mounted any kind of offensive there. With a five round fight, I'd think Askren would have gotten beaten up on the feet and possibly even in tie ups.
askren gassed after 2 rounds of striking against Maia, masvidal was going to beat up Askren no matter what, it is crazy people thought otherwise ...

There's a video of Colby and Jorge grappling eachother in their underwear on youtube lol, somebody made a thread about it on here. Colby can take Jorge down but can't do shit all with it, if he were to beat Masvidal it would be a boring ass decision. Masvidal showed he was more of a submission threat than Colby in the video as well. I'd favor Colby by decision but you take away the rds and Jorge wins.

Leon is a beast, I believe he is the next champ, 2 nd best striker in the division in my opinion( after wonderboy ), so well rounded, the dude is the english GSP.
Super underrated fighter.

To TS... Masvidal grappling is really good. But can he avoid being grapplefucked by Colby and Usman? I think he might stuff Colbys offense.. but Usman is the WW Khabib.

masvidal is one of the most well rounded fighters out there,obviously Im a huge fan of his but I generally call it as I see it.

There's a video of Colby and Jorge grappling eachother in their underwear on youtube lol, somebody made a thread about it on here. Colby can take Jorge down but can't do shit all with it, if he were to beat Masvidal it would be a boring ass decision. Masvidal showed he was more of a submission threat than Colby in the video as well. I'd favor Colby by decision but you take away the rds and Jorge wins.
well it is the main difference between colby and usman/khabib. Colby is not a good overall grappler, his wrestling is elite, but he got almost 0 GnP and almost 0 submission treat. His style is to transform an MMA fight into a wrestling match, where the opponent will get taken down and then get back up ( because of the lack of top control by colby ) more tired.

At the end of the day, in all colby's fight the damage is not given by GnP but by striking, colby actually strikes a lot compared to khabib and usman, not because he want to, but because he is forced to. I think masvidal will be able to give some serious problem on the feet with all his striking.

Last edited:
youre joking right? Edwards cant finish a fight nor make it exciting.What planet are you from?
if you cant appreciate edward's lvl, then MMA is not for you, go back to bare knuckle boxing ...

Super underrated fighter.

To TS... Masvidal grappling is really good. But can he avoid being grapplefucked by Colby and Usman? I think he might stuff Colbys offense.. but Usman is the WW Khabib.
read the thread I answer your question ;)

Back