Fighters that’s came to the UFC just a little late in their careers!

tucan89

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
With the recent release of Gilbert “El Giblert” Melendez makes you wonder by the time he came to the UFC he was already 31 with a 21-2 record in 2013. He has fought all over the place obviously Strikeforce, WEC, Pride and Shooto. At one point he was 13-0 in late 2007 suffering his 1st loss vs Mitsuhiro Ishida. Seeing him in the UFCs lightweight division in the mid/late 2010s would've been insane they could've matched him up with the likes of Frankie, Maynard, Sherk, a younger Diego, hell even Roger Huerta was still there at the time. A shitle tot vs BJ could've also happened.

Any more come to mind? Especially ones you personally were very hyped about, I was a fan of his for years before he finally came in! Eddie Alvarez, Ben Askren, Overeem, Hector Lombard also came to mind. My boy was all hype when Gegard Mousasi finally came in its a shame he didn't get a chance to Smash Gus in Sweden at the age of about 28 with a 33-3-2 record.

How about some examples of fighters who didn't get into the sport until late in their life! Yoel Romero had his 1st MMA fight at about 32 years old in 2009 after his Olympic run, he was about 35-36 in 2013 for his UFC debut. Brock Lesnar(I know, but still did great things in the sport in such a short amount of time) didn't get into the actual sport of MMA until 2007 at the age of 30 after his WWE run. And more importantly Bethe Correia didn't grace the sport with her presence until 2007 at the age of 28 after being an accountant and her UFC debut the next year. Imagine the Bethe(instead of Shayna) and Cyborg fighting back in 2008?! I don't know if Elite XC and CBS could've handled that level of athleticism!!!! Just imagine!!

I mean all the other old Strikeforce fighters did great. Of any Pride, Strikeforce fighter who came to the UFC, Melendez has the worst record. For those citing that close loss to Bendo, look how Bendo performed even in Bellator when 155 became a great division.

Also 31 isn't old in MMA. That's someone's prime, tough to even climb the ladder before 30. DC came to the UFC at 33 or 34 so did Woodley(maybe he was 32). Melendez doesn't get to use age as a crutch when his older peers all did better than him. 35 is when that conversation starts to get relevant IMO.

Crocop that's came too late in his career

I mean all the other old Strikeforce fighters did great. Of any Pride, Strikeforce fighter who came to the UFC, Melendez has the worst record. For those citing that close loss to Bendo, look how Bendo performed even in Bellator when 155 became a great division.

Also 31 isn't old in MMA. That's someone's prime, tough to even climb the ladder before 30. DC came to the UFC at 33 or 34 so did Woodley(maybe he was 32). Melendez doesn't get to use age as a crutch when his older peers all did better than him. 35 is when that conversation starts to get relevant IMO.
31 is old if you started fighting at 20

31 is your prime, some people just fight easier competition in other orgs

Wanderlei Silva
Big Nog
Ben Askren
Takanori Gomi
Tatsuya Kawajiri

Wanderlei Silva
Big Nog
Ben Askren
Takanori Gomi
Tatsuya Kawajiri
Kawajiri made top 10 at FW as a corpse last I checked. Pretty impressive for a guy his age
Gomi had I think 30+ fights on him. Alot of them being hard wars on his body.
KID has multiple career-ending injuries from his absurd wrestling practices that would make AKA guys faint. Also his body had started to deteriorate at that point clearly
RIP to the goat

31 is old if you started fighting at 20

Going to disagree with this, too much variance, highly debatable.

You should provide context when you say things like that.

Fighting for 11 years makes you old? Or fighting specifically at 20 through 31, makes 31 old?

Either way, it's wrong imo.

Stipe - 37
Jon - 32
Israel - 30
Kamaru - 32
Khabib - 31
Cejudo - 32

Above is a current list of UFC champions which is more than enough to make your comment seem incredibly dense.

Kawajiri made top 10 at FW as a corpse last I checked. Pretty impressive for a guy his age
KID has multiple career-ending injuries from his absurd wrestling practices that would make AKA guys faint. Also his body had started to deteriorate at that point clearly
RIP to the goat

Yeah Kid also, though in his prime they didn't have a weight class for him.

Going to disagree with this, too much variance, highly debatable.

You should provide context when you say things like that.

Fighting for 11 years makes you old? Or fighting specifically at 20 through 31, makes 31 old?

Either way, it's wrong imo.

Stipe - 37
Jon - 32
Israel - 30
Kamaru - 32
Khabib - 31
Cejudo - 32

Above is a current list of UFC champions which is more than enough to make your comment seem incredibly dense.

100% well said!

It's down to how long you've been fighting, how much you've been beaten up, injury's you may have or haven't sustained, so many things. In fact the age thing is probably the last on the list or towards the back end as opposed to all the other things for sure.

You absolutely nailed it with that post.

Dennis Kang would also have been half decent in his prime.

Mayhem's 2nd attempt was also too late.

Everyone ages differently. Gil became a world champion 7 years prior to joining the UFC. Thats 7 years of having a target on your back n training that way. It takes a toll.

Thats like you suggesting Aldo is peaking or at his prime now cuz hes 33

Prime Aldo was a 23 year old phenom that was murking dudes like MTB/Cub and making dudes like Faber look like amateurs.

The merger came a bit late for Miguel Torres too I think.

RIP to the goat

Peak Kid was one of the best fighters to ever fight in MMA.

I'd have loved to see him against Faber about ten years ago.
I'd say KID's athletic abilities and his ability to avoid takedowns would have given faber issues. Faber's abilities start to kind of fall apart when the option of a takedown goes away.
Him vs DJ would have been another dream fight but sadly Kid wasn't himself when they fought. Dude was a mini romero style-wise and once that explosive ability died he was very limited.

Back