Who doesn't think Romero starches Izzy?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Happy Izzy wants to accept this fight despite Dana not wanting it. I don't think anyone wants to see the title held up all summer long. Sure Yoel doesn't deserve it coming off of a loss but there isn't anyone else with Costa being sidelined.

Just like Anderson and Weidman the person to beat Izzy won't be a striker, it will be a wrestler with decent striking as long as that wrestler is smart enough not to stand and bang with Izzy or get sucked into playing Izzy's game.

I think Izzy is similar to Anderson also in that he doesn't have a granite chin he just protects it so well.

If Yoel lands a bomb, knee, elbow, kick, or punch that could end anyone including Izzy. If Yoel gets Izzy down his GnP can be devastating ala the Machida fight. As long as Romero uses his striking to only set up his takedowns I think he has this fight. And Yoel needs to get Izzy down fast since Yoel's gas tank isn't known for being great and he's getting older.

This is one of cases of styles make fights. Yoel couldn't beat Whittaker or Costa but I think he'll crush Izzy.

Who doesn't see Romero starching Izzy?

Last edited:
How the fuck is Yoel going to land...? Israel's head movement/body control is out of this world. This underestimation of Adesanya needs to end. He has proven himself like 3 times over already.

Great fight but at this point I'm not sure we are seeing the same Romero that worked his way up the rankings and fought Whittaker.
The 10 rounds with Whittaker took a piece of him, and of Rob. If Izzy comes up with a smart gameplan he can beat Romero.

Also Cannonier should get the shot no doubt. I'm a big fan of Romero but Cannonier deserves it.
Kinda weird though that he's not campaigning for the shot, he might be injured same as Costa?

Izzy will pick him appart but the fight will be much more competitive than the Whittaker one.

Izzy gets significantly better every fight. I think Yoel will have a hard time catching him.

I'll be rooting for yoel but unfortunately I don't see him winning

Adesanya via decision...

He could potentially even stop him late, but I think he plays it safe and doesn’t take any big risks.

Izzy ends him in the first round.

The idea that a dude that has lost 3 of his last 4 including two against a guy Izzy absolutely picked to pieces deserves a title shot is fucking insane.

Romero is not that impressive. He explodes with bombs and that's basically it. Izzy would counter and finally break that chin with precision.

How the fuck is Yoel going to land...? Israel's head movement/body control is out of this world. This underestimation of Adesanya needs to end. He has proven himself like 3 times over already.
Yoel landed on every great striker.

Yoel having shitty striking is a meme. He is very crafty with what he does and in the end finds a way. He outstruck and adapted and outlanded Costa midway onwards in the fight.

^^^^^^This

Adesanya styles on Romero.

Because Yoel has slowed with age from his prime beastly form and Izzy is getting better and better. Plus the big reach and volume disparity. Yoel could land that big strike to end it but I think it's much more likely he gets picked apart and slowly beat down to a decision or late stoppage loss.

I don't think Yoel has to catch him with a punch, he has to take him down and beat him up.

Izzy is much too fast for Yoel in the striking department unless Yoel gets lucky.

I had similar feelings when reading OPs post. He made Whittaker look like a bit of a chump and knocked his face into orbit. I think it anyone is going to land here it's going to be Adesanya.

Man, Romero doesn't even deserve a title shot, he's lost 3 of his last 4 wtf

I don't think Yoel has to catch him with a punch, he has to take him down and beat him up.

Exactly. However Yoel kinda fell in love with his striking like a lot of wrestlers do. (Gastelum is a great example, most recently)

Izzy ends him in the first round.

The idea that a dude that has lost 3 of his last 4 including two against a guy Izzy absolutely picked to pieces deserves a title shot is fucking insane.

Romero is not that impressive. He explodes with bombs and that's basically it. Izzy would counter and finally break that chin with precision.
I mean, i generally agree with you, but it's still MMA, really anything can potentially happen, especially on the feet, where the margin for error is super small.

But yeah, the likeliest scenario is in my opinion Adesanya using his range to outstrike Romero.

Israel is tailor made for Yoel. Yoel struggles with guys who don't let him breathe, like Rob and Costa, and he still arguably won those fights. Israel won't press him which will let Yoel explode and recharge whenever he wants. Not to mention, Israel is hittable, Anderson and especially Kelvin got good shots off on him, especially Kelvin. Rob didn't but tbh I'm not sure if that's the same Rob Whittaker anymore after all the heath scares he had and after all the damage he took from Yoel in their fights. Kelvin also was able to take Israel down if I remember correctly, which means that something in Yoels back pocket if he needs it. I'd heavily favor Yoel and I'd be extremely impressed with Israel if he won that fight.

Izzy should be able to pick Romero apart from distance.
That being said, Romero is always dangerous and there's no room for error against him.

Back