News Pour one out for Giblert: released from the UFC.

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

Hard to believe that his only UFC win was over a shopworn Diego.

He was probably the least successful contender/champ who came over from Strikeforce.

Regardless, I enjoyed his run outside of the UFC. Good luck to him.

1-6 in the UFC, his lone win being over Diego Sanchez who almost knocked him out, and he pissed hot

Not a great UFC career considering many thought he was one of the best LW's in the world prior

Time to visit an old friend

coker_melendez.jpg

The most exciting thing about his career was when Reebok spelled his name wrong

Hard to believe that his only UFC win was over a shopworn Diego.

He was probably the least successful contender/champ who came over from Strikeforce.

Regardless, I enjoyed his run outside of the UFC. Good luck to him.

0-5 run.... it is pretty rare that the UFC would keep someone like that.

Aww I was just saying about 20 mins ago in the unranked thread I like him but not sure if he's going to be fighting again which he said after the Arnold Allen fight.

I do enjoy him on the panels though too so I'm guessing he won't be on there either.

I like Gilbert.

His UFC record is wild for being a champion in other organizations.. Dude fought top tier guys, now talks about them probably getting paid the same without getting punched.

The most exciting thing about his career was when Reebok spelled his name wrong

I think it was the Barboza fight where I was like "Wow" as his legs were absolutely smashed and covered in welts but the dude just wouldn't go down, was well impressive.

Great fighter. Finally saw him v Alvarez, and they fought to a virtual tie, with Alvarez toughing it out, one eye shut, Alvarez style.

I thoroughly enjoyed is Strikeforce run. His fight with Aoki was boring (it had to be, from his perspective) but effective, and his fights with Thomson, TK, Masvidal and others were great fun.

Godspeed.

1-6 in the UFC, his lone win being over Diego Sanchez who almost knocked him out, and he pissed hot

Not a great UFC career considering many thought he was one of the best LW's in the world prior
So many fighters that some Hardcore MMA Fans rave about have bum status UFC records. For example, some Hardcore MMA fans will dismiss a guy like Leon Edwards who is on a 7-0 win streak in the UFC, but call a 1-6 in the UFC Gilbert Melendez a "legend." LOL

He should retire and try and get more talking spots at ESPN, he is pretty good at that fight breakdown he does with Dominick.

So many fighters that some Hardcore MMA Fans rave about have bum status UFC records. For example, some Hardcore MMA fans will dismiss a guy like Leon Edwards who is on a 7-0 win streak in the UFC, but call a 1-6 in the UFC Gilbert Melendez a "legend." LOL

Well that's understandable when you look at a guy who's given a lot to the sport and put up great fights.

Win and loss records don't mean anything, you can have a fantastic fighter with an inconsistent win loss record but they go in, give their all and fight and that's what it's about when push comes to shove.

Combine that with longevity too and yeah, it's pretty valid.

Most MMA fans know that a win loss record isn't even near the top of the list in regards to defining an MMA fighter.

It was disappointing, but his fights vs Bendo and Alvarez were very close, I felt he beat bendo and was robbed...Alvarez could have gone either way. But since his return from suspension he has looked like shit and didnt seem to want to be in there. Lets also not forget he entered the UFC coming out of his prime...LW's dont get the long careers like the heavier classes do.

But I am pretty sure he retires, he has nothing left to prove and his last 2 fights he looked uninterested.

off to UFC's retirement home called Bellator

Nah, he was saying this after the Arnold Allen fight, he's probably said to the UFC himself he's not that interested in fighting anymore so was no doubt a mutual decision.

Well, to be fair, some of us watch lots of fights - including non-UFC fights - and make conclusions based on that instead of just going to wiki and reviewing a win/loss record....

His run until the UFC was pretty great, but yes, as you pointed out, his UFC run was disappointing to be sure. He got a title shot and lost (split decision IIRC), and he lost a close one to Alvarez (who soon won a title himself - also split decision IIRC). After that, he just went downhill fast, like some fighters do after a dozen years of fighting.

And let's be very clear; before about 2012 there were quite a few non-UFC fighters in the top 10 ranks. In LW especially it proved to be deserved - WEC and SF fighters absolutely proved that they were at least equal to UFC fighters.

I wouldn't call him a legend myself. But I also wouldn't disparage his career either just because of that UFC run at the end.

Back