Askrens mental state and confidence ?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know professional fighters are much more mentally tough than the average Sherbro, but even though I'm a huge grappling fan and love matchups pitting arguably the best MMA grapplers against each other, I'm more interested to see how Askren is after his humiliating 5 second KO.

For starters, hes been undefeated to this point . The guy hasn't tasted defeat in MMA, and in life in general , for more than a decade . He simply doesn't know what defeat feels like , much less such a record setting one that is unlikely to ever be beaten.

Second , Ben's entire gimmick (and apparent self confidence) is his ability to talk himself up and his opponent down , it might be hubris but in his mind is all that really matters.

Finally .... everyone was extremely nervous when Silva had his first fight post leg break. Even Silva was hesitant and nervous throwing his leg kicks. If someone that mentally strong can be changed so much , couldn't askren be timid and hesitant to even engage with Maia ? Be afraid to go for his flailing double legs out of fear of getting kneed in the face? That must leave a mark on a man, damn.

At any rate really curious to see his demeanor and overall confidence and style. Has he been talking his usual bravado to Maia or not ? So far hes been so quite

This is a confidence builder of a fight, Maia does not have Lawler's power or Jorge's flying knee.

He SHOULDN'T have to worry about Maia KOing him so his confidence should be fine.

Im sure he is quite confident. A old opponent without ko power and doesnt avoid the ground? It's his dream fight.

I’ve seen no evidence of anything you’re suggesting, TS. Have you?

He took that loss as well as anyone could have, I’m pretty sure we’ll see the exact same Askren.

I gotta admit, Askren has done a 180 on his fight banter. This could mean 2 different things.
1] Hes actually concerned and maybe some self doubt has set in and is trying to be 100 focused at task at hand.
2] Hes more than ready , has "stylistically " someone in front of him who is respected but knows hes not getting ko ed or tossed on his head. He also knows at their points of career, he has advantage but hes keep'n chill .... God forbid.....

He lost in the olympics buddy, he knows what defeat is like and took the loss like a man

I don't understand why people act like Askren is the first pro-fighter to ever get KTFO. He'll be fine.

I don't see Askren as someone who's easy to shake mentally, he'll be fine.

I gotta admit, Askren has done a 180 on his fight banter. This could mean 2 different things.
1] Hes actually concerned and maybe some self doubt has set in and is trying to be 100 focused at task at hand.
2] Hes more than ready , has "stylistically " someone in front of him who is respected but knows hes not getting ko ed or tossed on his head. He also knows at their points of career, he has advantage but hes keep'n chill .... God forbid.....
yeah, but maia's also the kind of guy you don't talk shit about. he didn't talk shit about lawler either.

yeah, but maia's also the kind of guy you don't talk shit about. he didn't talk shit about lawler either.
He didnt( lawler) but had proverbial chip on shoulder leading into fight. He was already talking possible title shot after he wins ( which didn't happen due to controversial ending )

He kneeds to stick to the gameplan.

I know professional fighters are much more mentally tough than the average Sherbro, but even though I'm a huge grappling fan and love matchups pitting arguably the best MMA grapplers against each other, I'm more interested to see how Askren is after his humiliating 5 second KO.

For starters, hes been undefeated to this point . The guy hasn't tasted defeat in MMA, and in life in general , for more than a decade . He simply doesn't know what defeat feels like , much less such a record setting one that is unlikely to ever be beaten.

Second , Ben's entire gimmick (and apparent self confidence) is his ability to talk himself up and his opponent down , it might be hubris but in his mind is all that really matters.

Finally .... everyone was extremely nervous when Silva had his first fight post leg break. Even Silva was hesitant and nervous throwing his leg kicks. If someone that mentally strong can be changed so much , couldn't askren be timid and hesitant to even engage with Maia ? Be afraid to go for his flailing double legs out of fear of getting kneed in the face? That must leave a mark on a man, damn.

At any rate really curious to see his demeanor and overall confidence and style. Has he been talking his usual bravado to Maia or not ? So far hes been so quite
If he loses this fight it will be a gentle loss. It's a great fight for him. Maia is a few weeks short of 42 years old.

Confidence decrease: he cant even go to Whole Foods anymore

He went to his after party ffs and was on twitter a few hours after the fight then was on Ariel's show 36 hours later and has taken another fight 3 months later. Did he seem to be really bothered by it at all? He seemed to take the loss as well as anybody I've ever seen and has even asked Jorge for a rematch.

And why would he be hesitant to engage with Maia? He hasn't paid for engaging before because he and Masvidal hadn't engaged or even stood in front of each other yet when Jorge threw the knee.

Im not sure that professuonal athletes are more mentaly tough than other people. They are driven by something inside that is for sure but I would not say that is nessesariky toughness or that what drives them is even always a good thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back