Thiago Santos and Anthony Smith are the only MWs from the recent era that didnt get killed @ LHW

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
Thiago-Santos-UFC-FN-125.jpg

Props these 2........in the past we had dudes likes Hendo, Gegard, Vitor, Bustamante, etc. that did just fine up the weight class, some arguably better. From this era it seems these 2 were the only ones capable w/ their sturiking specially defensively holding up. Theyve beaten everyone theyve fought besides Bones so far at the weight and many thought Santos beat Bones too. Meanwhile..

mma_g_cummins_mb_1296x518.jpg

giphy.gif

BlackWeeklyHummingbird-size_restricted.gif

WellwornPhonyCutworm-size_restricted.gif

DefensiveDelayedGander-size_restricted.gif

giphy.webp

IlliterateKeenIriomotecat.gif

Weidman, Luke, Yoel, Shoeface, Canonier are a combined 2-7 (Reyes and Jan are responsible for 4 of those losses) @ LHW under Zuffa<HisEye>no other ranked MWs from this era has really tried the jump up (unless Im forgetting someone)........but we do have one coming up

TBD

wef3wf.jpg

Jan , the future LHW champion and a world beater.

Still curious to see Yoel at this point in his career try it out. I think it’s the grapple focused guys that are failing (rockhold and Weidman) once they figure out these guys are too big and strong to get man handled like they’re used to at MW they crumple.

Hendo and Vítor just had power — and then legal TRT lol — that translated really well to LHW. I like Mousasi, but I don’t think he would’ve done as well in the LHW contenders of Hendo’s and Vitor’s age, or today’s LHW contenders.

Hendo and Vítor just had power — and then legal TRT lol — that translated really well to LHW. I like Mousasi, but I don’t think he would’ve done as well in the LHW contenders of Hendo’s and Vitor’s age, or today’s LHW contenders.

I think hed do just fine. Hes already dominated OSP and Latifi (with a torn ACL of all things) who are both ranked LHWs and OSP even fought Bones not that long ago.

Not to mention what he did to Thiago whos pretty much the #2 guy right now

tumblr_ony5ts381H1r7vh24o1_r1_540.gif

his only real loss was VS Lawal @ LHW and he beat the shit out of him from bottom and just got lay and prayed

1f4f420b-035b-4ef8-93ed-81a651f99799-jpeg.663995

with DC out, Coreys the only real grinding wrestler in the division now in the UFCs LHW division, and hes chinny and wont be able to hold Gegard down for whole rounds like Mo as he doesnt have the same level of top control. Pretty much every other ranked contender @ LHW right now is a sturiker that almost never goes for TDs which would really benefit Gegard, and he himself is a damn good gurappler who could outgurapple and take down most of the guys if he wants. His cardio was really good @ 205lbs too and weve seen some of the top LHWs have struggle with that already (Reyes, Volkan, Glover etc). I think Gegard beats everyone besides Bones

Still curious to see Yoel at this point in his career try it out. I think it’s the grapple focused guys that are failing (rockhold and Weidman) once they figure out these guys are too big and strong to get man handled like they’re used to at MW they crumple.
Yep. They think that moving up means that they gain better cardio and durability and they can fight with a grapple-heavy approach against bigger men and all will be fine.

Rockhold’s performance against Jan was terrible. He was gassed in a round and didn’t take into account that Jan would be stronger than his previous opponents. It would have made more sense for Rockhold to try and be light on his feet and move around a lot early.

Vitor has always relied on his speed and power, which were still there when he fought at LHW.
Luke, Weidman and Shoeface didn't have the power to bring in their grappling and are too slow to have an advantage against LHW.
Mousasi got outmuscled against big MW already, LHW grapplers wouldn't be kind to him, notwithstanding the MO fight.

Rockhold and Weidman both guys who killed themselves to make 185 because they relied purely on their excellent grappling over average standup. Smith and Santos went up and knocked guys out.

I think depending on the style is makes.sense for certain guys. Ita funny because Weidman and Rockhold both went straight to their bread and butter and got stuffed then got knocked out soon after.

Jacare has a way better chin than both so he should.have more success, but he is another grappler moving up. Should be interesting.

I think a big part of that is the mental game. A lot of these guys are strong grapplers who are on the bigger side of MW. When they realise they cant just overpower their opponents amymore they seem to not have much options left.

Also tbf most of the recent examples had some problems in MW too.
I think guys would do better when they really grow their weight with their muscles instead of just avoiding a hard weight cut and than face someone whos bigger and stronger.

Cannonier is apples to oranges. He went down not up. Stupid logic.

Thiago has always been a beast, and Smith beat up a couple corpses in the form of Shad and Sho.

Rockhold and Weidman both guys who killed themselves to make 185 because they relied purely on their excellent grappling over average standup. Smith and Santos went up and knocked guys out.

I think depending on the style is makes.sense for certain guys. Ita funny because Weidman and Rockhold both went straight to their bread and butter and got stuffed then got knocked out soon after.

Jacare has a way better chin than both so he should.have more success, but he is another grappler moving up. Should be interesting.

TDs/wrestling isnt really Lukes game at least offensively. He averages 0.6TDs a fight for his career and has a 30% success rate. He only has those bodylock clinch TDs but his ability there has never been good even @ MW

Cannonier is apples to oranges. He went down not up. Stupid logic.

Thiago has always been a beast, and Smith beat up a couple corpses in the form of Shad and Sho.

Smith finished Volkan and Gus too, both of them fought for the title in the fight before and were the #2 ranked guys when he fought them.

Smith finished Volkan and Gus too, both of them fought for the title in the fight before and were the #2 ranked guys when he fought them.

Yes, LHW is so shot that anyone who pieces together a couple wins gets a TS. All 3 mentioned put up pathetic performances in their TS. Look for Smith to be cannon fodder to propel a young gun to their TS (Rakic, Reyes, Walker). Smith is not elite. He's due for some brutal stoppages.

Because Smith/Santos are actually real fighters inside and outside the cage while The Chris and Calvin Klein Model Boy's parents probably funded their MMA careers and when USADA came they started getting super chinny and knocked out for my entertainment.

I think romero could, prolly Costas and izzy..the problem is that guys brutally knocked out by 185ers and have lost their chin should not move up in divisions where guys logically hit harder. I just dont get it.
It never works from that scenario. Moving down I could see, but guys like luke and chris will never have a chin again, and havent ever really recovered from the k.o.s they both had. Luke got fuct up by Romero..he was already gone, sitting against the fence and got plastered...that take a long time to really recover from...chris lost 5 of 6 by ko now...Romero messed him up too..luke started his downfall.
Chris took a hard ass fight for his 1st at 205, I'll give him that. Thiago is able to go up cause he has a big frame and hits hard. Definitely has done well. Anthony is a tall guy, he always belonged at 205 really. He has done well too, just looked way worse vs jon. Thiago will get a rematch after healed up fully I'm sure.

Back