Jeremy Stephens Eye Update (Jeremy Demands Rematch; Yair Demurs)

Does Rodriguez really want the rematch?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jeremy Stephens coach, Eric Del Fierro, spoke to ESPN backstage and gave a quick update on ‘Lil Heathen’s’ eye.

“I did get to speak with Eric Del Fierro, who is his [Jeremy Stephens] head coach, who told me he still has not been able to open that eye,” ESPN’s Heidi Androl reported.

“I asked him: 'Was it a scratch from the fingernails like a scratch of the cornea?' He said that all he [Stephens] told him that he got hit and felt a tremendous amount of pressure -- so much pressure he has never felt before. He said it was really uncomfortable and still was very uncomfortable . . . And [so] they will likely be sending him to an emergency ophthalmologist.”

. . .

He said he spent over $30,000 on this training camp as he lived in Mexico for weeks preparing for the fight.

- BJ Penn.com

Jeremy Stephens Reports ‘Deep Scratch’ of Eye, Requests Rematch with Yair Rodriguez

Jeremy Stephens said he suffered a “deep scratch” and “deep bruise” of his left eye during his ill-fated UFC Mexico City headliner against Yair Rodriguez. But he’s already itching for a rematch. Wearing shades over a heavily bandaged eye, Stephens got to the point in a Twitter video posted by ESPN.com.

“Yair, you think I’m faking, bro – you’re the one that poked me in the eye!” he said. “Let’s run it back (in) four or five weeks, two weeks, whatever. I’ll be ready.”

If his position wasn’t clear, Stephens ended the message: “Let’s run it back, motherf*cker.”

. . .

. . .

Rodriguez didn’t question Stephens’ injury in a post-event media scrum backstage. Although he jumped the cage and appeared in the wake of the fight’s stoppage, he later said he was only trying to rally the crowd. He stressed that he deferred to Stephens on the severity of the injury.

On the subject of a rematch, Rodriguez said he would wait to hear from the UFC on what comes next in his career. He noted Stephens wasn’t his first pick to fight in the first place given the veteran’s lower ranking and toughness. But he didn’t explicitly rule out a second fight.

“I’m just going to wait to talk to the UFC and see what they’re thinking and just move on,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t like that one at the end of my record, but whatever.”

. . .

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/9/...h-of-eye-requests-rematch-with-yair-rodriguez

Last edited:
He spent $30,000 on his camp and yet idiots think he was looking for a way out

{<jordan}

They should immediately put the rematch on the next available event

{<jordan}

I am not saying hes faking or hes not but that means nothing, he get's and easy payday and gets to run it back for another payday. that's 2 pay day's for 1 fight and 2 camps.

Anyone claiming Stephens was looking for a way out has never had a scratched eye. It does heal quickly, but is brutal the first 2-3 days.

Re book it for MSG I say.

$30k?

in mexico?

jesus christ, gotta be able to cut that in half AT LEAST

Yair thinking he should fight a higher ranked opponent next lol. Stephens rematch or lower ranked opponent should be next, UFC can't be happy with this.

Stephens does not come off as somebody who would fake it. He didnt even had his chance to put his hands on the boy, I would be more pissed if I was in jeremys place.yair is a fucking moron

If you think Stephens faked that injury you're probably a fucking moron.

Anyone claiming Stephens was looking for a way out has never had a scratched eye. It does heal quickly, but is brutal the first 2-3 days.
So true.
I went golfing last year and got some sand in my eye. I couldn't see from Sunday to Wednesday. I couldn't watch tv or drive. Probably wouldn't have been able to fight Yair Rodriguez, either.

{<jordan}

Those idiots include other UFC fighters.

It's the same shit with weight cuts. They all do weight cuts but because many haven't personally experienced a catastrophic failure with a weight cut they don't think it happens and dismiss it outright.

Experience, intelligence and education does not guarantee the person possesses a shred of critical thinking.

I am not saying hes faking or hes not but that means nothing, he get's and easy payday and gets to run it back for another payday. that's 2 pay day's for 1 fight and 2 camps.
So does Yair though. Maybe he wanted an easy payday.

So true.
I went golfing last year and got some sand in my eye. I couldn't see from Sunday to Wednesday. I couldn't watch tv or drive. Probably wouldn't have been able to fight Yair Rodriguez, either.
But you’d kick his arse now that it’s better, right?

The way to stop eye pokes is, intentional or not, you're deducted a point, if it's not stopped. I know what people will say, 'Hey someone could fake it', but that's what the ref and replay is for....

Very true, had mine scratched and looked similar to Stephens, I could open mine but immediately had to close it, couldn’t hold it open. Although I’m curious, mine was job related so treated at first by the company doctors, who were horrible. They patched it like Stephens eye is, but later I was sent to an optometrist and they said patching it was the worst thing to do.

How does a gatekeeper afford to spend $30k on a fight camp? Numbers don't add up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back