Conor vs really durable fighters

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like Conor has the style to beat these really durable fighters. I know that probably sounds stupid because he did indeed beat Diaz but it's hard to see him doing it again. He is one of the most dangerous 1-2 round fighters in the game and thats a fact. Incredible timing and accuracy along with the power in his left and underrated kicking game. But against these extremely durable LW's like T-Ferg, Gaethje, Diaz, Khabib, hell you can throw Gillespie in there (not saying he beats Conor)... Does he have it in him to put these guys away? Because 99% of the time its gonna need to be a accumulation over a grueling fight to finish these guys. And Conor has shown that he may not have the style to do it in a long grueling fight... Of course I can see him clipping Ferguson and stopping him (tony gets dropped often) but that is still a long shot IMO.

Would you ever bet on Conor to beat these durable LW's by decision?

I'm not even expecting to see Conor winning any MMA fight ever again. Is that an answer?

Dude it's time to move on. If you are a hater or nut hugger it doesn't really matter, it's just time to move on.

Last edited:
He is a very talented striker ofcourse he has. Big chance

Eddie Alvarez is suddenly not durable? Lmao

Conor has proven to be dangerous in both weight classes.

That said:

1) Khabib beats Conor
2) Tony probably beats Conor
3) Justin may beat him, but if Justin gets emotional/excited and swings for the fences I see Conor's timing winning the fight.
4) Gillespie...although not "tested" as others, I truly feel he has the tools to beat Conor.

That is my humble opinion.

Khabib beats him 99/100 times

He has an early punchers chance vs tony, half way through the second tony will start torturing him

Sadly I see Conor sniping gaethje but I’d be rooting hard for Justin

He beats everyone else in the top 15

People bring up Gregor and Islam but they’ve never beat a ranked opponent so it’s far to early to say

Eddie Alvarez is suddenly not durable? Lmao

People also forget how durable Jose Aldo was. As far as I've seen, he had only ever been rocked / dropped (very quick flash knockdown btw) against Chad Mendes in the second fight.

He had never been KO'd, and by those terms above, he had only been dropped 1 time in his whole UFC / WEC career. Yet all of a sudden, he's thrown out of the "durable" category because he was knocked out.

Look at Jose's durability in his fight against Stephens, or even Holloway. The amount of punishment he can handle as a FW is abnormal

"Underrated kicking game"

When is the last time Conor threw a good kick that actually landed on someone and hurt them? Or even landed an effective kick? He uses the spin kicks to set up/maintain distance, but even against Nate Diaz he hardly kicked. Nate Diaz being notoriously bad at defending kicks, Conor's corner was begging him to go to the leg more.

His kicking game is weak

Conor at his best is a problem for anybody. I think THAT guy is dead and gone. Like him or not, the guy can fight when his head is in the game.

He needs someone to stand in front of him and bang... anybody with good/great grappling is going to be a problem...

He needs someone to stand in front of him and bang... anybody with good/great grappling is going to be a problem...
he did better grappling with Khabib that some of Khabibs other opponents to be fair...(yes I know he also cheated a lot)

When Conor is fresh he is much better at grappling/TDD than he gets credit for.

Eddie isn't primarily a grappler but hes no slouch either, and Conor shrugged him off like an older brother getting annoyed at his little 10 year old brother.

Chad was a great grappler at 145 and he roughed Conor up a bit(while Conor was on an injured leg) but still got put away

Khabib hasnt really been tested enough to say how durable he really is

Ferg is alot like Eddie. He doesnt have the best chin but he has insane alltime recovery. The fact Conor put him away like he did was very impressive and im far from a Conor fan

Tony has been dropped by Johnson, Trujillo, Lee, Pettis, Lando. Conor could easily put him away early like he did to Eddie

But Conor does fade from late in the 2nd on and the 2nd Nate fight is the only time weve seen him dig deep and get a 2nd win. If Conor doesnt KO someone within the first 2 rounds his chances of winning drop dramatically and hes liable to get beat up specially in the 4th/5th (and yes i realize he edged the 4th against Nate)

ya you are new to the sport. go watch some eddie alvarez fights

Watched about 8 or so and he's literally been dropped, hurt or stopped in every single one I've watched soooooo yeah that's not what durable is dummy

if connor had approached his career with a little more humility and took his losses reasonably well i could see him ending his career with a record that looks something like 31-7.

ive always seen him losing to a wrestler eventually. im just surprised he couldnt see it.

Back