Chris Weidman - unfortunate case of fighting at the wrong time

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
For me,the middleweight division when Weidman was around is undoubtedly strong weight division of all time. When Silva was around, it was the weakest of all time.

Weidman
Jacare
Rockhold
Romero
Whittaker
Kennedy
Machida
Anderson
Bisping
Mousasi
Lombard
Hendo
TRTor
Maia
Santos
Smith

The light heavyweight division used to be great, and lightweight division of the past, but nothing compares to the middleweight division when Weidman was the champ.

For me, Weidman was a special fighter. It's really unfortunate that he had to fight in the best weight division of all time, in my opinion. He was winning in most of the fights he lost, before he made mistakes, and it's woe to be him to fight opponents who were so good and dangerous that they could capitalize on those mistakes. One of the stupidist shit that you see in the MMA was his lame spinning kick against Rockhold.

But prime for prime, I really think Weidman is up there against anybody. Pound for pound, I think someone like Weidman would wipe the floor with Khabib. You can say all you want, but the competition Khabib has faced isn't 1/10th of what the middleweight division was like when Weidman was around.

It's a pity that when it comes to Weidman, all we can say is that " I think ", when talk is cheap. But if you have eyes and a brain, you know Weidman prime for prime was as good as it gets, unlike Khabib who isn't all that.

Prime Silva beats every MW and LHW who ever lived except perhaps Jones

Prime Weidman was KOd 4 times in 5 fights

prime silva lost to two welterweights. dream on tho.

So we're going to blame it on the competition being too strong for him, although they sure weren't pre-USDA when he was undefeated & running through all these talented fighters, but after that he struggled & made mistakes. Hmmmmm. Almost like trhere's a link here.....

You could look at it the opposite way and say he had fortunate timing. Weidman rose to the top at a time when the old UFC guard was going out of prime and before the Strikeforce middleweights were in contention and managed to get it several title defenses during that period.

Lucky and overrated
He cut like 25lb and beat Maia on like 8 days notice.

The counter elbow he landed on Munoz is probably one of the best elbows ever landed in the sport.

He did to Anderson what no other fighter has done before, and still hasn't been replicated.

He's a great fighter that just ends up getting caught. He's usually winning fights before catastrophe strikes

Weidman is an interesting case study.

Am very curious how he does at lhw.

For me,the middleweight division when Weidman was around is undoubtedly strong weight division of all time. When Silva was around, it was the weakest of all time.

Weidman
Jacare
Rockhold
Romero
Whittaker
Kennedy
Machida
Anderson
Bisping
Mousasi
Lombard
Hendo
TRTor
Maia
Santos
Smith

The light heavyweight division used to be great, and lightweight division of the past, but nothing compares to the middleweight division when Weidman was the champ.

For me, Weidman was a special fighter. It's really unfortunate that he had to fight in the best weight division of all time, in my opinion. He was winning in most of the fights he lost, before he made mistakes, and it's woe to be him to fight opponents who were so good and dangerous that they could capitalize on those mistakes. One of the stupidist shit that you see in the MMA was his lame spinning kick against Rockhold.

But prime for prime, I really think Weidman is up there against anybody. Pound for pound, I think someone like Weidman would wipe the floor with Khabib. You can say all you want, but the competition Khabib has faced isn't 1/10th of what the middleweight division was like when Weidman was around.

It's a pity that when it comes to Weidman, all we can say is that " I think ", when talk is cheap. But if you have eyes and a brain, you know Weidman prime for prime was as good as it gets, unlike Khabib who isn't all that.

Very odd post
You list the entire MW division and use it as a basis to say how good Weidman was

But that is deceitful, because he didn’t beat anyone on that list except 3 past their prime Brazilians

Everyone else he faced - Rockhold, Romero, Mousassi, Jacare all beat him

Guys like Whittaker weren’t even known at the time

Yeah, unfortunately he won the title and defended a few times. Poor guy.

is that Prime Silva with or without his Tahitian wiener miracle juice or what ever it was?

Unfortunate case of flopping at the wrong time

Silva's record looks so suspect when I go back & look at it. Always surprising to me that he faced no black fighters during his title reign. Just a lot of slow white guys & a Brazilian here & there

Weidman
Jacare
Rockhold
Romero
Whittaker
Kennedy
Machida
Anderson
Bisping
Mousasi
Lombard
Hendo
TRTor
Maia
Santos
Smith

Weidman is one of the most underrated fighters in sherdog history but he'll never get respect for ending the relevancy of so many sherdogger's hero.

Prime Silva AKA juiced to the gills Silva arguably wouldn't be top5 today. He also could still be the best. We'll never know but one thing I am confident of is Jacare, Romero. Weidman, rockhold, Costa, Whittaker, adesanya probably beat everyone Silva beat during his title reign.

Last edited:
Chris aka My Boy was hurt by the IV ban, not USADA.

The MW division is a shark tank and all the top guys right now have bad losses to each other.

Like for example if you match up a 2015 Weidman vs 2015 Luke Rockhold, I think you will get a different winner every time.

Back