Has Justin Gaethje come in with a more technical style? (Chael Sonnen clip)

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this, Gaethje is one of my favourite fighters but there's no doubt he's had a reckless style, I don't say this as a bad thing because it works, it made his fights entertaining and I like the fact he takes risks rather than playing it safe to put on these entertaining fights rather than caring too much about his win/loss record.

However not only have we seen Gaethje as a powerful guy he has been a bit more calculated lately, he's finding his range and throwing power which is obviously a good game plan that works.

As Chael says here "Everything he throws is designed to put you out, he does not come out there with a real jab heavy game, he's looking for crosses, he's looking for hooks and he's looking for upper cuts, those are finishing punches".

Have a watch of this if you've got time however have any of you noticed this in Gaethje's skill set recently?

maxresdefault.jpg

He's improving a bit no doubt but what makes him who he is, is the fact that he doesn't give a fuck.

That mentality is why we love him.

After watching his first 2 UFC fights and a few of his fights before he joined the UFC, I thought his career as a top 10 fighter wouldn't last very long at all. He's surprised me with his improvements and I'm impressed.

If he keeps this up, he'll be one of the most popular fighters in the UFC

After watching his first 2 UFC fights and a few of his fights before he joined the UFC, I thought his career as a top 10 fighter wouldn't last very long at all. He's surprised me with his improvements and I'm impressed.

If he keeps this up, he'll be one of the most popular fighters in the UFC

Honestly, I could see him around the top for a while, possibly even holding the belt if he continues to use this calculated style along with his style he currently has (a balance basically).

As I've said before when it comes to the fighters I like of course I'm made up when they win titles etc.. however Gaethje is one of those many people love because of his reckless style and the fact he doesn't care too much about his win/loss record, he takes these risks to put on an entertaining fight and I love that.

However with a little more calculation involved, I could see him around the top for a while :)

Honestly, I could see him around the top for a while, possibly even holding the belt if he continues to use this calculated style along with his style he currently has (a balance basically).

As I've said before when it comes to the fighters I like of course I'm made up when they win titles etc.. however Gaethje is one of those many people love because of his reckless style and the fact he doesn't care too much about his win/loss record, he takes these risks to put on an entertaining fight and I love that.

However with a little more calculation involved, I could see him around the top for a while :)

Still not sure if he'll be in the Top 10 for a long time. If it was a Mazagati or Yamasaki type reffing the Eddie and Poirier fights, he would have gone out cold. Once his chin goes I think he's going to really struggle.

Re him being champ, I'm not sure if he could ever beat Khabib.

Still not sure if he'll be in the Top 10 for a long time. If it was a Mazagati or Yamasaki type reffing the Eddie and Poirier fights, he would have gone out cold. Once his chin goes I think he's going to really struggle.

Re him being champ, I'm not sure if he could ever beat Khabib.

Well the Khabib thing has been discussed a lot as we know and it's all guess work for us until the fight actually happens really but we don't know how long Khabib is going to be holding the title too so either while Khabib is there or if Justin is around while Khabib isn't etc.. I could see him potentially being up there.

He's just on fire right now and he's bringing so many fights, he's had 6 fights in the UFC so far and every single one of those have been fight or performance of the night fights, he's never NOT won a fight bonus EVER in all his fights in the UFC.

Granted, he's only had 6 fights so I get that but that's a pretty impressive stat and it goes to show how good he actually is, even when he's lost while fighting more reckless (which he seems to have tightened up a little lately).

I could see it to be honest, not saying he will, but I do reckon he could if you get what I mean :)

He was close to legally blind. After the eye surgery he improved a lot.

He's improving a bit no doubt but what makes him who he is, is the fact that he doesn't give a fuck.

That mentality is why we love him.
Nicely summed up, I think. The guy IS improving, though, and that is something everyone should take note of. Including a certain Dagestani belt holder.

Well the Khabib thing has been discussed a lot as we know and it's all guess work for us until the fight actually happens really but we don't know how long Khabib is going to be holding the title too so either while Khabib is there or if Justin is around while Khabib isn't etc.. I could see him potentially being up there.

He's just on fire right now and he's bringing so many fights, he's had 6 fights in the UFC so far and every single one of those have been fight or performance of the night fights, he's never NOT won a fight bonus EVER in all his fights in the UFC.

Granted, he's only had 6 fights so I get that but that's a pretty impressive stat and it goes to show how good he actually is, even when he's lost while fighting more reckless (which he seems to have tightened up a little lately).

I could see it to be honest, not saying he will, but I do reckon he could if you get what I mean :)

One could argue that he's not had the chance to show if he's less reckless because he's ended his last 3 fights in the first round. He used to be a lot more reckless in the 2nd and 3rd when fatigue settled in.

I'm still a fan, just saying what I see.

One could argue that he's not had the chance to show if he's less reckless because he's ended his last 3 fights in the first round. He used to be a lot more reckless in the 2nd and 3rd when fatigue settled in.

I'm still a fan, just saying what I see.

Yeah still, if it's not broke don't fix it ain't it and as I say about the fight and performance of the night bonuses, every single fight of his has won this which is an amazing stat and speaks for itself in regards to how good he is, as I say he hasn't NOT had a bonus for any of his fights which shows how much he delivers.

I mean, if he's finished his last 3 fights in the first round then this also backs up something in his style has massively improved.

"Chael Sonnen"

source.gif

Didn't know people took this pseudo-intellectual retard seriously.

"Chael Sonnen"

source.gif

Didn't know people took this pseudo-intellectual retard seriously.

To be fair he talks a lot of sense, you might not agree with everything he says but he is very knowledgeable.

To be honest I think Dan Hardy is the best in regards to all this, apart from when it comes to predictions but there's not a single person on the planet who can predict a fight 100%.

Well unless you're one of Skeletors men from He-Man, then you can probably do it.

gCkOsm.gif

Back