The Evolution of Nate Diaz

Whippy McGee

Surf 4 Life
@Steel
Reaction score
Nate Diaz already had world class BJJ and amazing boxing skills. He had a horrible fight where RDS kicked his legs into defeat. He has clearly corrected that issue, he checked kicks from Pettis multiple times and one time so well that he broke Pettis foot/ankle.

Below is the actual moment Pettis got his foot/ankle busted up. It was a clear check by Nate and not something he did versus RDS.
upload_2019-8-25_21-27-37.png

Results.
IMG_20190818_WA0002.jpg

He also showed grappling angle entries to tie up Pettis, followed with fantastic inside knees.
dm_190818_ufc_diaz_knees_pettis.jpg

These are not elements that were at the top in his skill set, but now they are. They also had a huge impact on the fight. Improvement, Evolution, Results.

Areas where he could improve more:
  • Head movement.
  • TDD is also in question, but it would need to be a Khabib type to even be a threat. He claims he has been hanging with a bunch of D100 Wrestlers. ;) So maybe that is much improved?
  • Ground game escape if he is on bottom, again... Khabib caveat.

The more he works on those elements, the better he will be. Nate could terrorize the 155 and 170 Divisions.

I'm a fan. War Diaz!

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-25_21-22-22.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-25_21-22-22.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 6
<mma4>
quality topic, ngl

edit: though the swollen ankle pic was l o l

Another place where Nate evolved, the strategic "call out". Calling out Masdival was smart. It delays his collision with a top Wrestler: Usman, Woodley, Couvington and puts him as high in the Rankings as possible at the same time. Wrestlers have been his Kryptonite.

His boxing wasn't as smooth as in the past but I agree everything else was very good. A small refresher course on his boxing and he unstoppable IMO.

I don't think he will ever be able to terrorize the welterweight division, it's his body type, he can strike with welterweights but I don't think he stands a chance against 170 lb wrestlers like Usman and Covington. In fact I think there's a lot of lower ranked welterweights that could take Nate down pretty easily. I think if he improves a bit more he could potentially challenge at lightweight but not as long as Khabib is champion. I'd love to see a Diaz vs Ferguson or Diaz vs Gaethje match up.

His boxing wasn't as smooth as in the past but I agree everything else was very good. A small refresher course on his boxing and he unstoppable IMO.
I give him a pass for his sloppy boxing since it has been 3 years but man he ultiliztied his knees more and grappled more then usual, he actually had a gameplay going on. Hes finally using his leverage for his sharpened muai thai skills and throwing actual elbows which were fast and efficient. I hope hes consitent with it because it showed nate evolved

Someone do something about Pettis' toenails. Are they completely dead?

Diaz loses to Usman or Colby....but who cares he is going to get Masvidal and then another fun fight if he wants...He’s smart enough to create his own lane he doesn’t want to fight Usman or Covington it’s not that he is “shook” he just has his own take on fighting. I’m looking forward to Colby vs Usman but gun to my head would rather see Nate vs Mas in a 5 rounder. My av is more for jokes I don’t have Nate in my top 20 favorite fighters but I don’t dislike him.

I don't think he will ever be able to terrorize the welterweight division, it's his body type, he can strike with welterweights but I don't think he stands a chance against 170 lb wrestlers like Usman and Covington. In fact I think there's a lot of lower ranked welterweights that could take Nate down pretty easily. I think if he improves a bit more he could potentially challenge at lightweight but not as long as Khabib is champion. I'd love to see a Diaz vs Ferguson or Diaz vs Gaethje match up.
Nate vs Gaethje would be cool. IMO Ferg puts on a clinic and Kills his hype.

Back