Prime Cody vs Prime Barao. Who had a harder fall from grace?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Both guys were very similar in a fast rise to the title, and then fell down just as fast. Too bad we never go to see them fight, I think it would have been a good one.

Who takes it?

Who fell off harder?

Cody outclassed Cruz (yes i know, he has suffered injuries). And Won the championship belt.

Barao?

I think Cody fell harder and I'll take prime Cody in a fantasy matchup

Barao was in a 32 fights win streak, double of cody's streak, so his fall is surely bigger, because he was way higher. He started his streak when Cody was 15yo.

Cody had some good TKO's against the lower level competition, but his only historical win is the decision against high mileage Dom.

Respectable, but that is all he really he will be remembered for unless he turns it around.

Barao's best wins were against Urijah and McDonald. I think Dom is a higher ranked win individually, but Barao had more impressive performances.

Cody still has had his moments in every loss.

Barao looks like a can

Barao's win streak was insane and in his early UFC career had wins over Eddie Wineland, Michael McDonald, and Urijah Faber twice. His fall from grace was pretty bad. Dude's on a 4 fight losing steak and he's only 32.

Cody sorta got shot straight to the title picture. His only significant wins were over Thomas Almeida and Takeya Mizugaki, neither of which were exactly "elite" (Almeida is currently #15 and Mizugaki had a long inconsistent streak and lost 7 out of 10 fights from his loss to Cruz onwards). Styles make fights and Cody's was perfectly tailored to beat Cruz. His speed, slick movement and ability to get under Cruz's skin left Cruz, usually a master of defense, reaching on his punches and visibly frustrated. Cody losing his fights afterwards just speaks to his inexperience and inability to gameplan effectively. His fight against Cruz was "the perfect storm".

Barao's is much worse, as I believe his time as a top bantamweight was essentially over following the Dillishaw loss. Cody's career is just getting started and is definitely salvageable with the right adjustments.

Barao was a top 4 P4P fighter in an all time win streak

No question Barao did. He's dropped 4 in a row and the competition hasn't been the highest. Cody has lost 3 in a row after winning 6 in a row. But 2 of those losses are to TJ in title fights and the other is to Munoz.

Barao fell of the map quickly. However Cody fell publicly harder with all the shit talking he did...
<codychoke>

Barao by a long shot lol. Cody would have to keep losing to multiple nobodies in a row.

I still think cody could be champ if he fights smart. He still looks really impressive imo until he decides to wade forward spamming right hooks. its really mind blowing because as he showed aginst cruz he can definitely fight a extremely smart and tactical fight

Too early to say for Garbrandt but Barao arguably has the worst fall from grace in UFC history. He was the champion on a 32 fight win streak and was being talked about as maybe the best p4p fighter. Proceeds to get annihilated by Dillashaw and lose 7 of his next 9. His two victories were over journeymen that he had a tough time with and his most recent losses were to a fighter making his UFC debut and a KO loss to a guy with a losing record in the UFC. He went from champion to bottom of the barrel in just a few years.

Garbrandt didn't have a fall from grace. He won one fight against an injured Cruz, that's all. Everyone started overrating him because of that. He's always been a brawler with fast hands, little more. Cruz is someone who relies on movement and being able to fight intelligently, but the plantar fasciitis had him trying to engage in a firefight where he was completely outgunned. One day, people will realize that fight was an anomaly.

Barao had an actual fall from grace. His rise wasn't quick, he hadn't lost in years and put together several wins against legit competition.

It's absolutely Barao. Barao literally loses to the Andre Ewell's of the world (and I respect Andre's skills but he is what he is at this point) while Cody is being competitive with top level fighters and losing more due to his F level fight IQ than his actual skills declining.

Probably barao just because of how highly regarded he was at the time. Cody was never looked at as a P4P great the way that Barao was.

Last edited:
Go re-watch Barao get pounded flat by that scrub Luke Sanders and there's your answer.

Definitely Cody Mackenzie.

Dudebro went from unstoppable submission force and lowkey TUF GOAT to having to draw blood to make weight and wearing walmart gym shorts with the pricetag still on the side into the cage for a fight.

Cue the "Sh!t Just got Real" meme

Cody's prime was pretty much the Cruz fight.

Back