135 the most cursed division in MMA history

ferrisjso

"Melodramatic" Historian
@Gold
Reaction score
135 has mostly cycled the same few people into title fights, Cruz, Barao, Faber and TJ then when Barao fell off Cody. Now just when things look like they have cleared up Edgar and Aldo are migrating from 145 to 135. Faber is pushing for a title shot too. To make things worse Henry has the belt and will be splitting his time between two divisions. What hope is there for any of the other top fighters like Sterling, Munhoz or Yan to get to the front of the line? Look at poor Assunaco who never got a title shot his whole career after years as a top 4-5 fighter.

Why is Henry being champ “worse”???

Henry is the best thing that happened to the 125-135 divisions easily and I’m glad he’s the champ and willing be for a long time.

Sterling will probably get the next shot. Faber isn't close, Cody is on a 3 fight skid. Aldo needs a win before he can get a shot. Edgar will need a few wins. Yan is good, but I doubt the UFC wants him as champ when they have all these other more known fighters.

Henry is the best thing that happened to the 125-135 divisions easily and I’m glad he’s the champ and willing be for a long time.

Cause he's a champ champ who's defending 2 belts? He can probably defend each belt once a year.

He could be the best thing that has happened but often times, double champs decide to cherry pick big money fights (and sit on injuries) so they only fight once a year or even less.

Right now, he has no plans to fight until 2020 and who knows what big money fight he will sit for, maybe Faber? TJ after his suspension (just kidding)? So it might be the best thing, but more likely he'll be the worst thing and hold up two divisions with one big money (undeserved contender) fight a year.

I won't believe Aldo makes 135 till he actually steps on the scale. It's not like he's a huge FW, but he is decently sized and has had trouble making weight in the past. I suspect it will be too draining, but I'm obviously not an expert.

I won't believe Aldo makes 135 till he actually steps on the scale. It's not like he's a huge FW, but he is decently sized and has had trouble making weight in the past. I suspect it will be too draining, but I'm obviously not an expert.
I think he’s going to just ruin Frankie Edgar’s life.

Faber should fight Edgar for #1 contender while Cejudo defends against Benavidez at 125. Both faber and edgar are bigger fights for the ufc, so Petr Yan should face Sterling to cement a place as next in line. Its not as if sterling hasnt lost to top guys in the division already. Aldo on the other hand never makes 135, he had problems making 145 in past before, have no desire to see him even try

Faber should fight Edgar for #1 contender while Cejudo defends against Benavidez at 125. Both faber and edgar are bigger fights for the ufc, so Petr Yan should face Sterling to cement a place as next in line. Its not as if sterling hasnt lost to top guys in the division already. Aldo on the other hand never makes 135, he had problems making 145 in past before, have no desire to see him even try

Aldo is moving to 135. He's going to try because it will be easier to get a title shot. He bailed on retirement to sign a massive contract so makes more sense than sticking around as 145 gatekeeper.

Aldo is moving to 135. He's going to try because it will be easier to get a title shot. He bailed on retirement to sign a massive contract so makes more sense than sticking around as 145 gatekeeper.

I get the reasoning of course, but I wholeheartedly bet he never makes it to 135

It's the Bantamweight belt that's cursed. Cruz is injured constantly, TJ has been banished to the Shadow Realm for 2 years, Barao was destroyed by TJ and was never the same again, Cody is on a 3 fight skid immediately after winning the belt, Cejudo is injured for a while, etc.

If the Bantamweight belt curse stays consistent then Cejudo will lose both his belts on his first defense and become a hermit.

Back