Dana: ‘Maybe There’s a Trilogy’ (DC vs. Stipe) *Update: “We're Going to Do The Trilogy”

Do you want a trilogy fight?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The king is dead, long live the king!

Daniel Cormier fell to Stipe Miocic last night at UFC 241, dropping the heavyweight belt he’d only managed to defend once. Not that there’s any shame to that. The turnover at the tippy top of the big-boy division is so high that Miocic holds the most heavyweight defenses in UFC history with just three. Now he’s a two-time HW champ as well, just another number that’s conspicuously higher than Cormier’s.

See, “DC” was really hoping to lock in his status as greatest heavyweight ever. Watch any of the profiles or features on Cormier and you’ll see he’s got a pretty good sense of humor about the universe perpetually relegating him to second place. But deep down you know he’d love to be number one for once, and finishing his career with a dominant heavyweight run would have secured his place in history for the foreseeable future.

Alas, that’s not how it went down. Cormier went from dominating the fight early to slipping in the later rounds, dropping his hands and slugging it out instead of using his wrestling. Miocic only got tighter as the fight progressed, and in the fourth round a body shot wobbled “DC” and that was the beginning of the end.

For this chapter, anyway. According to UFC president Dana White, a trilogy fight between the two could be down the pipe.

“Stipe’s one of greatest ever too in the heavyweight division,” White told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto. “There’s nothing to be ashamed with tonight, either guy. No matter how this fight went. If Stipe lost, if Stipe won, if Cormier lost or won, the fight was ridiculous. And both guys came, gave everything they had. Stipe came out on top. Maybe there’s a trilogy out there; maybe Cormier retires. Does the fight happen with Ngannou now? Who knows?

“That will play out over the next several weeks or months. And I think that both guys, Stipe and Cormier, should be proud of what happened in there tonight. It was as awesome of a heavyweight fight as you’ll ever see.”

“It makes sense, it absolutely makes sense,” White said when pushed on the possibility of a third fight. “If both guys wanted that, then yeah. If you look at Cormier, he said that coming into this fight. He was saying ‘I convincingly won the first fight. I don’t know how much longer I’ll fight. There’s a couple other fights I want out there instead of Stipe out there right now.’ But he did, he took the Stipe fight and maybe Stipe reciprocates and they do that again.

“Or maybe he retires, or maybe Stipe wants Ngannou. I don’t know how this plays out. There’s a lot of different ways it could and we’ll have to find out.”

Cormier certainly had little to gain after knocking Miocic out in the first round of their initial fight. And now Miocic has little to gain after finishing Cormier. But one good turn deserves another and after how amazing this fight was, there might actually be a pretty solid number of people jumping through them ESPN+ hoops to see a third and final fight between the two best heavyweights in the world.

-MMAMania.com

The king is dead, long live the king!

Daniel Cormier fell to Stipe Miocic last night at UFC 241, dropping the heavyweight belt he’d only managed to defend once. Not that there’s any shame to that. The turnover at the tippy top of the big-boy division is so high that Miocic holds the most heavyweight defenses in UFC history with just three. Now he’s a two-time HW champ as well, just another number that’s conspicuously higher than Cormier’s.

See, “DC” was really hoping to lock in his status as greatest heavyweight ever. Watch any of the profiles or features on Cormier and you’ll see he’s got a pretty good sense of humor about the universe perpetually relegating him to second place. But deep down you know he’d love to be number one for once, and finishing his career with a dominant heavyweight run would have secured his place in history for the foreseeable future.

Alas, that’s not how it went down. Cormier went from dominating the fight early to slipping in the later rounds, dropping his hands and slugging it out instead of using his wrestling. Miocic only got tighter as the fight progressed, and in the fourth round a body shot wobbled “DC” and that was the beginning of the end.

For this chapter, anyway. According to UFC president Dana White, a trilogy fight between the two could be down the pipe.

“Stipe’s one of greatest ever too in the heavyweight division,” White told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto. “There’s nothing to be ashamed with tonight, either guy. No matter how this fight went. If Stipe lost, if Stipe won, if Cormier lost or won, the fight was ridiculous. And both guys came, gave everything they had. Stipe came out on top. Maybe there’s a trilogy out there; maybe Cormier retires. Does the fight happen with Ngannou now? Who knows?

“That will play out over the next several weeks or months. And I think that both guys, Stipe and Cormier, should be proud of what happened in there tonight. It was as awesome of a heavyweight fight as you’ll ever see.”

“It makes sense, it absolutely makes sense,” White said when pushed on the possibility of a third fight. “If both guys wanted that, then yeah. If you look at Cormier, he said that coming into this fight. He was saying ‘I convincingly won the first fight. I don’t know how much longer I’ll fight. There’s a couple other fights I want out there instead of Stipe out there right now.’ But he did, he took the Stipe fight and maybe Stipe reciprocates and they do that again.

“Or maybe he retires, or maybe Stipe wants Ngannou. I don’t know how this plays out. There’s a lot of different ways it could and we’ll have to find out.”

Cormier certainly had little to gain after knocking Miocic out in the first round of their initial fight. And now Miocic has little to gain after finishing Cormier. But one good turn deserves another and after how amazing this fight was, there might actually be a pretty solid number of people jumping through them ESPN+ hoops to see a third and final fight between the two best heavyweights in the world.

-MMAMania.com
only fair tbh. if dc doesnt gas he can win that fight 100%. he usually has a good gas tank but he slowed down rapidly.

only fair tbh. if dc doesnt gas he can win that fight 100%. he usually has a good gas tank but he slowed down rapidly.

Body shots like that Will slow you down very fast...
I like that trilogy more then Francis vs stipe. Dc can win if he fights smarter plus if he can stop stipes body punches

No the old man should retire, no reason to stick around he had already planned on being retired by now anyways.

Do Stipe vs. Ngannou next. Then maybe a rematch. DC should probably have to take another fight though, either Blaydes (if he wins his next fight) or Overeem/Harris winner.

Im more inclined to want this instead of DC Jones 3.

Let's do a trilogy asap!

tenor.gif

He was saying ‘I convincingly won the first fight. I don’t know how much longer I’ll fight. There’s a couple other fights I want out there instead of Stipe out there right now.’ But he did, he took the Stipe fight and maybe Stipe reciprocates and they do that again.

This fucking guy has no shame in spewing total nonsense.

It would have been great if DC actually did that. Instead, he fought Derrick Lewis instead of giving Stipe a rematch, and then tried to pass on Stipe again and made him sit out for over a year.

If Stipe wants to "reciprocate" ? He'll do exactly the same....

However, I think Stipe is all class, and truly believes he'll beat DC every single time they fight. DC will get the rematch if he truly wants it.....

Body shots like that Will slow you down very fast...
I like that trilogy more then Francis vs stipe. Dc can win if he fights smarter plus if he can stop stipes body punches
DC was slowing down and checking the clock repeatedly starting late round 1 and early round 2 and on from there. its never a good sign when your fighter is checking the clock every 30 seconds to know how much time is left.

DC was doing so way before any body shots.

I don't see the rubber match going down any differently than this last one.

Father Time's going to be harder on DC than Stipe, and somehow I don't see DC switching to salads for three meals a day. Older, slower DC loses again.

Do Stipe vs. Ngannou next. Then maybe a rematch. DC should probably have to take another fight though, either Blaydes (if he wins his next fight) or Overeem/Harris winner.
If Cormier DOES fight again he won't want to wait long. He won't wait for stipe v Ngannou and I don't think Stipe wants to fight Ngannou again anyway.

I think if Cormier continues (very debatable) he will only fight Stipe or Jones. He pretty much said that.

If Cormier wins the trilogy and retires, it'd be bad for the Heavyweight division, and I have no interest in seeing him lose to Miocic again, so my answer is: nope.

If I have to look at the facts Ngannou has done more than enough to get back in there with Stipe. Finished Blaydes, Cain and JDS.. I mean that is impressive as hell.

Unless stipe is somehow going to get Jones to fight him, then the trilogy is the next best fight for Stipe in my opinion. I'd understand if DC just retires, though.

He was throwing heat for 3 rounds, clearly thought he'd get stipe outta there early and blew his load. Stipes got his confidence back no doubt, will be an uphill battle for DC in the 3rd fight but he can still pull it off.

Doubt stipe wants to fight Ng again and that's the only other guy with a pulse at HW lol

I think DC will want this. As a fan I'd expect nothing less than another entertaining fight. I also know an additional fight against Stipe will be even more difficult for DC.

Back