Just rewatched Cormier vs Stipe 2

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
I had to watch this fight again, because alcohol clogged up my memory. I remembered DC dominating the fight till the finish, but in hindsight, after just re-witnessing this fight, it was much closer than I remembered.
Round 1 without a doubt was DC from A-Z. He landed heavy leg kicks, closed the distance, slammed Stipe and GNP’d him for the whole round.
Round 2 is where Stipe starts making the reads and landed a couple perfectly timed straight rights. DC’s jab is on point and lands solid power strikes of his own. DC eye pokes Stipe, but eats a big counter uppercut from Stipe moments later.
Round 3, DC is visibly slower. He is still pressuring Stipe and landing heavy, but Stipe is finding his head movement/footwork and starts landing more and more. Stipe takes DC down. DC looks fatigued at the end of the third. Round 3 could’ve arguably gone to Stipe.
Round 4, Stipe hurts DC with the first body shot. Stipe baited DC to the head with straight punches and finished to the body. He landed like 10 clean body shots, but it was a right hand that wobbled DC and left hand bicep curl GNP that finished him.

In hindsight, Stipe approached this fight with a precise game plan and stuck to it from the beginning to the end. He fought intelligently, where as, DC didn’t show much respect for Stipe’s skills. The "DC dominated round 1,2,3" saying isn’t really true, go rewatch the fight yourself. I think had DC wrestled more, the fight could’ve looked a little more like round 1. Looking forward to the trilogy.

Yeah I had the same sort of realization when I rewatched it. I thought live DC was dominating. I had bias towards Stipe so I gave him round 3.

When I watched it again round 2 was really close, the eye pokes were brutal. Round 3 Stipe landed big shots and out wrestled DC. Then round 4 he really found his groove and fucked DC up

So you’re saying DC won the first two and could have won the third then got knocked out on the 4th

sorry if I missed but did you see DC eyepoking Stipe?

I thought the same about round 3. Watching it live, I thought DC won round 1 and 2, but gave round 3 to Stipe.

Wasnt as one sided as many were making it out to be.

Same here. After rewatching, altough DC convincingly won first two rounds, it wasn't as dominant (one-sided beating) as it seemed when watching live.

DC was winning rounds 1-2-3 and was winning 4 then got backed to the fence and TKO'd.

Literally doesn't need another watching. Some of you fucking geeks need a fucking life.

I thought it was a classic case of the front-runner fading and the opponent taking over.

I'd have to rewatch but I think I gave DC the first three rounds but in each round the margin of winning was less and less and less.

Those body shots were awesome. DC was coughing a lot after at the post presser. Wonder if there was any internal damage.

Stats are actually pretty lopsided for DC but I felt like Stipe started to land the better shots as the fight went on.

DC was winning rounds 1-2-3 and was winning 4 then got backed to the fence and TKO'd.

Literally doesn't need another watching. Some of you fucking geeks need a fucking life.
You had DC winning round 4? stop watching MMA clearly you have no idea what you are watching

I wouldn’t expect you to make an educated decision. You probably have a 5th grade reading comprehension too.

DC almost finished a turtled-up Stipe in round 1 via TKO, slammed him on his head, then proceeded to jab his face off until Stipe "readjusted" in round 4. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel, asshole.

Cecil Peoples is that you?

Im pretty sure im going to watch it today for a third time, only to get sure.

Round 2 and 3 were super close but in my head DC took them.

That is why I was so impressed with Stipe adjustment in round 4.

He rekt DC with those body shots. DC had no answer.

Hespect to both fighters it was one of the better HW title fights and I would watch the shit out of a Trilogy.

Back