Daniel Cormier's Wisdom for Young Fighters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Working Relationship with Uncle Dana

“It’s not hard. I swear to God, I don’t understand how these guys have all these issues. For me, it does not make any sense. It is our job. If you have to go do promotion, go do promotion. You’re getting paid massive amounts of money. Even for guys that are just starting, you’re making 30, 40 grand. You didn’t make 30, 40 grand [before]. You started doing this with the idea that someday the UFC could make you money. It’s not that hard.

“If they ask you to do something, do it. Get along with people. Again, it’s whenever you are someone at your core and you get in a position where you feel you can mistreat people, people mistreat people. It’s just silly. But it’s not that hard. Get along with the people and I promise it’ll be a lot easier for you.”

Loss Management

“You let it hurt. A lot of people try to move on. I see guys that’ll lose a fight and they’ll be on Instagram 30 minutes later talking about, 'We’re gonna get on to the next one.'

“No, live in that loss for a while, because it motivates you not to do the same thing again. Live in that loss so that pain that you feel will drive you to not be there again.

“Everybody wants to move on — 'Let’s go, we’ve gotta get on to the next thing.' No. I let it sit with me. When I lose — those two fights I’ve lost — it’s been like a mourning process for me. I need it to be motivating and it to be a lesson that I learned so it doesn’t happen again.”

What he is saying, basically, is "I don't understand how come people aren't more like me".

Personally, I sympathize with all fighters who hate doing media/promotional work. I hate the idea of being forced to do all these things so much that I could never be a professional athlete.

What he is saying, basically, is "I don't understand how come people aren't more like me".

Personally, I sympathize with all fighters who hate doing media/promotional work. I hate the idea of being forced to do all these things so much that I could never be a professional athlete.
No what he’s saying is that while reportedly 70% of people dislike their jobs, you have to force yourself to interact and remain civil with your boss. If you have issues, keep it behind closed doors. Acting emotional all the time and allowing yourself to be triggered in/out of public eye is for pussies.

As for disliking the promo stuff? It’s part of the job... either embrace it, suck at it and limit your career progress or find a new job.

Jezus this shit is everyday stuff for adults. I cannot comprehend the stunted mentality held by so many these days.

I’m sure there a lot my physical reasons why you could never be a pro athlete.

The fighter pay thing is one that always annoys me. I can see both sides, guys going into wars and taking healthy years off of their lives probably do deserve more money.... But, at the same time, you are an artist, fighting is your love and passion, the fact you are getting paid to do it at all should be enough. The UFC will let you train for free, help you wat correctly for free, pay for your travel costs, let you do what you love to do more than anything else in the world and pay you for it. Why should you expect to be a millionaire?

Agreed. Entitlement generation nonsense some of it.

all the media stuff comes with the territory. how ridiculous is it for any fighter to complain? go do a normal job like the rest of us, if the media stuff is too painful lol.

No basically what he's describing is being an adult. He's describing how real life works and a working man's approach to everyday life. That's not "be more like me". That's "quit bellyaching and do the job you signed up to do."

Forced?? It's part of the job. It's IN the job description. Time to grow up.

Whiny millenials cry when they don't get their way

Is normal

No basically what he's describing is being an adult. He's describing how real life works and a working man's approach to everyday life. That's not "be more like me". That's "quit bellyaching and do the job you signed up to do."

Forced?? It's part of the job. It's IN the job description. Time to grow up.

"It’s not hard. I swear to God, I don’t understand how these guys have all these issues."

I was referring to this part. What is and isn't hard boils down to individual's preferences, so saying something is or isn't hard is just plain inability to distinguish between oneself and others.

"It’s not hard. I swear to God, I don’t understand how these guys have all these issues."

I was referring to this part. What is and isn't hard boils down to individual's preferences, so saying something is or isn't hard is just plain inability to distinguish between oneself and others.

Being "hard" isn't a factor and deserves zero credibility. It's a job. Media is part of the job. If you can't or won't do it, that's on you not anyone else. Perhaps I'm missing your point, but the fighter's "preferences" don't matter. At all. I bet you 90% of the fighters doing media would rather not be doing media.

I bet you 90% of the fighters doing media would rather not be doing media.

Hmm, I don't know about that. From what I've seen, most fighters enjoy being in at least some form of out-of-ring spotlight.

Hmm, I don't know about that. From what I've seen, most fighters enjoy being in at least some form of out-of-ring spotlight.

Fair enough, they need to do it to get their name out their and on people's lips, and some relish the attention. I can understand that.

"Don't let people kick you in the head after you went on record saying you wouldn't get kicked in the head and DEMOLISHED"

giphy.gif

No what he’s saying is that while reportedly 70% of people dislike their jobs, you have to force yourself to interact and remain civil with your boss. If you have issues, keep it behind closed doors. Acting emotional all the time and allowing yourself to be triggered in/out of public eye is for pussies.

As for disliking the promo stuff? It’s part of the job... either embrace it, suck at it and limit your career progress or find a new job.

Jezus this shit is everyday stuff for adults. I cannot comprehend the stunted mentality held by so many these days.
Yup, it's called Emotional Intelligence...most fighters have 0 of it, but there are a handful out there that do...Randy Couture had it...always complimentary to his opponents, humble when he won, and gracious when he lost...

Working Relationship with Uncle Dana

“It’s not hard. I swear to God, I don’t understand how these guys have all these issues. For me, it does not make any sense. It is our job. If you have to go do promotion, go do promotion. You’re getting paid massive amounts of money. Even for guys that are just starting, you’re making 30, 40 grand. You didn’t make 30, 40 grand [before]. You started doing this with the idea that someday the UFC could make you money. It’s not that hard.

“If they ask you to do something, do it. Get along with people. Again, it’s whenever you are someone at your core and you get in a position where you feel you can mistreat people, people mistreat people. It’s just silly. But it’s not that hard. Get along with the people and I promise it’ll be a lot easier for you.”

Loss Management

“You let it hurt. A lot of people try to move on. I see guys that’ll lose a fight and they’ll be on Instagram 30 minutes later talking about, 'We’re gonna get on to the next one.'

“No, live in that loss for a while, because it motivates you not to do the same thing again. Live in that loss so that pain that you feel will drive you to not be there again.

“Everybody wants to move on — 'Let’s go, we’ve gotta get on to the next thing.' No. I let it sit with me. When I lose — those two fights I’ve lost — it’s been like a mourning process for me. I need it to be motivating and it to be a lesson that I learned so it doesn’t happen again.”
STIFF.gif

Back