4 years ago: TJ shows love for Fight Club in calendar photoshoot alongside Team Alpha Male

EdmundsEmptyBankAccount

Pulsing expert from Pulsylvania
Reaction score
Ahead of the Champ Champ fight coming up free on ESPN1, take a trip down memory lane to the first Team Alpha Male (TAM) photoshoot staring TJ Dillashaw!

What memories do you have of the Topless TAM calendar?

Now considered one of the biggest misfires in MMA promotional history, at the time, TJ details in the video how he was really happy to do the photoshoot because Fight Club was one of his favourite movies.

Fully intended to be bad-ass ...butt ... creative misfires and some poor choices with Body Oil made it seem they had a different type of relationship with ass....

Just like our pal Dana says: "Let me tell you what. Reality is better than any script you could ever write".

CHECK OUT TEAM ALPHA MALE'S FIGHT CLUB THEMED PHOTO SHOOT
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/check-out-team-alpha-males-fight-club-themed-photo-shoot
https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story...ale-release-fight-club-themed-calendar-120814

fightclub650.jpg

kVdKKtJ.jpg

This particular all-male style was a departure for the photographer, Sam Hull, who is famous for painting 12-15 women at a time to form layer after layer of 500,000 bodies
Photographing 12-15 women at a time, Hon takes these images and carefully tweaks them, changing each body and contorting them into distinct configurations. Using 500,000 bodies, Hon creates layer upon layer, watchful to avoid duplicates of figures. After a painstaking 700-800 hours of laborious layering, Hon finally produces the final image that he mounts to acrylic.
Once mounted, Hon uses a calligraphy pen with either metallic ink, gold flake or paint to add yet another unexpected element to his work. Understated yet noticeable, Hon uses a calligraphy pen making deliberate dotted or squiggle-looking lines on the acrylic, for example outlining part of a stiletto heel or tracing a curvature in a skull. This physical and final touch on his pieces demonstrates the extent of Hon’s artistic vision and thoughtful execution of awe-inspiring pieces.

Full VICE article:
The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of fight club is, you do not talk about Fight Club. These words are, by now, as ubiquitous as the color black. David Fincher’s film based on Chuck Palahniuk’s Fight Club is one of the most iconic American films to have ever been produced, a bonafide classic of the American canon.

Stylistically, it set the bar for years to come. It was, without a doubt, one of the coolest films made in the 90s, and having come out in 1999, it was a fantastic bookend to the decade in filmic terms.

It’s got nothing to do with mixed martial arts, but it’s understandable how it might be a fighter’s favorite film. And it certainly is all of Team Alpha Male’s favorite film, and they’re showing their adoration for the film by making a Fight Club themed 2015 calendar. Check out this video showing what happened behind the scenes, as well as to find out why this movie was so important to some people.

You can buy the calendar—which was shot by Sam Hon and features Urijah Faber, TJ Dillashaw, Chad Mendes, Joseph Benavidez, David Castillo, Andre Fili and Chris Holdsworth reenacting some of the film’s most memorable imagery—on Team Alpha Male’s site for 29.95, and a signed version for 49.95.

A cool gift for any fan of MMA or the film itself.
Full Fox article:
We’ll get right to the point – Urijah Faber‘s Team Alpha Male is coming out with a pin-up 2015 calendar. Roll your eyes if you want, but chances are your girlfriend or boyfriend doesn’t mind hearing the news.
Although the Sacramento-based super team knows there is more to life than beingreally, really, really, ridiculously good looking, they clearly still understand that it’s not a bad problem to have and so they have joined the ranks of countless Playboy bunnies with their own pictorial yearly calendar. Even if you’re not planning on plunking down the $29.95 it costs to buy ($49.95, signed) the calendar, you’ll likely still have to admit that the theme for it is actually pretty dope.

Fifteen years after the film adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk’s novel, Fight Club was released in theaters, Faber, UFC bantamweight champ T.J. Dillashaw and the rest of the Team Alpha Male crew got together with photographer Sam Hon to create a calendar (and video above) themed on the post-modernism commentary starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. Who doesn’t like Fight Club?

Last edited:
I remember this, shit that was stupid. Really showed how they were embracing the homo eroticism.

too many greasy Manlets lol

If they had that joe's reporter wife in the photoshoot, it couldve passed as snow white and seven dwarves.

Alpha Male at their peak was mad gay

They really bought into the whole Alpha Male name and convinced themselves they weren't dwarves<45>

Those little guys had some intense training sessions..

eqIjEXJ.gif

So lame

Also, i feel pity, if you are older than 20 and still saying that fight club is your favorite movie

never seen the pics before

i agree pretty lame, but dont see the homo-eroticism

Thats really gay.

No ifs, ands or BUTTS about it.
cmon man, aren't you rooting for the little guys?
they're famous for their come from behind victories
they may be smaller in size, but they make up for it with speed.
I've heard speed can create just as much impact as size in their preferred brand of physical altercation...

Am I right in saying that TJ is bending over to grab a bar of soap?

kVdKKtJ.jpg

never seen the pics before

i agree pretty lame, but dont see the homo-eroticism

are you willing to host the next photoshoot at your house?

requirements: lots of baby oil, lots of dark lighting, lots of men packed into a small space.

just ask your landlord if you're renting and describe the event like I have; you might get a clue into the homo-eroticism we're discussing!

Back