Scott Coker Announces Matchups For Bellator Featherweight Tournament

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
No brackets for this tournament. These are single fights and after the first round (Sept. 8th), Bellator will have a live drawing show where they will select numbers (8 numbered balls in a basket) in a random draw for the second round of the tournament.

From the sounds of it, the fighters will be picking numbers themselves at the live drawing show, and will have the option on which side of the bracket they choose to place their number on, making the drawing show somewhat strategic.

Coker expects the tournament to conclude September 2020. Interesting I see no Aaron Pico.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif
my reaction to most of the names..

seriously is this their biggest talent gap from the UFC?

No brackets for this tournament. These are single fights and after the first round (Sept. 8th), Bellator will have a live drawing show where they will select numbers (8 numbered balls in a basket) in a random draw for the second round of the tournament.

Coker expects the tournament to conclude September 2020. Interesting I see no Aaron Pico.

Probably best for Pico to fight a few guys with experience commensurate with his own to rebuild. He doesn't belong in a tournament with seasoned veterans considering he gets KO'd this many times this early in his career.

Probably best for Pico to fight a few guys with experience commensurate with his own to rebuild. He doesn't belong in a tournament with seasoned veterans considering he gets KO'd this many times this early in his career.
Very true, it makes sense. I just find it interesting that Bellator agrees from a business point of view.

i'll take archuleta to win but he could also be knocked out in the first round haha. tywon vs sanchez is one of the most interesting bouts in the first round for me, caldwell/corrales too

Wish Royler or Royce Gracie or some Gracie was in this just for name recognition. Most vanilla tournament I recall.

Too bad we couldn't see Pitbull try and become a Triple Champ by winning the 135 title.

tenor.gif
my reaction to most of the names..

seriously is this their biggest talent gap from the UFC?
Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they suck.

Sanchez, Corrales, McKee and Borics are all legit prospects turned contenders. Weichel has been around a long time and is at the very least a top 20 FW (he finished Desmond Green in the first by sub). Straus was also a very good fighter who got done by dubious fight IQ and submission defense a few years back, but he was involved in a motorcycle crash, so who knows how he'll look now. Freire and Archuleta are easily within the top 10-15 (especially if you have Shane Burgos in there, which you really shouldn't) and Carvalho just finished Derek Campos in the first, so he's worth looking into.

Caldwell has hellish wrestling but the Horiguchi fights hurt his momentum. Claxton is another prospect who could turn into a contender in a few years. Karakhanyan is a decent vet, fuck Sicilia, Curran is sad to look at nowadays, but he's got the fundamentals to at least stay in the fight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back