Is MMA one of the most popular sports in USA?

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm not from USA and I'm curious in that.

I already know that football, baseball, basketball and hockey are the most popular sports in USA, I think you guys call this "The big 4". Also I know that other sports like tenis, softball or boxing are very popular there as well.

I see like if NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and UFC are huge there, like the most important sports things there.
I'm from Venezuela and MLB is very popular here, UFC is very popular in Brazil, etc..

I just heard Dana White saying that MMA is part of the big 4 now but I know that he's going to say what he need to say so I want to know how much popular MMA is in USA? Can you make a ranking to see where is MMA, maybe top 5? 7? 10?

Behind Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, and maybe boxing.

Nah I mean they have a decent following but it's mostly for the casual fights.

I'll have friends who know I like UFC come up to me and ask me when Conor is fighting next.

LMAO not even close

Even boxing is more popular

I know it's cool to hate on MMA/UFC but it is OP.

MMA/UFC gets a shitload of Media attention if, if, a huge fucking name is fighting....Now with ESPN, we get coverage even if it isn't a huge name.

It's around the same level as boxing.

Lets just say that out of 10 people.......4 probably knew about Conor, Ronda, Brock, UFC 100, etc....all the big events/names...That's popular.

It probably is neck and neck with Soccer there. Dana dropping truth bombs.

Hi guys, I'm not from USA and I'm curious in that.

I already know that football, baseball, basketball and hockey are the most popular sports in USA, I think you guys call this "The big 4". Also I know that other sports like tenis, softball or boxing are very popular there as well.

I see like if NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and UFC are huge there, like the most important sports things there.
I'm from Venezuela and MLB is very popular here, UFC is very popular in Brazil, etc..

I just heard Dana White saying that MMA is part of the big 4 now but I know that he's going to say what he need to say so I want to know how much popular MMA is in USA? Can you make a ranking to see where is MMA, maybe top 5? 7? 10?

I think it's peers are more the individual sports. In which case it's prolly beating Tennis, golf and boxing(as a whole). NASCAR I know at a time was the number 2 sport behind the NFL but I don't think that's the case anymore. Not sure UFC is as popular as NASCAR but wouldn't surprise me if that's the place the UFC ends up occupying in the US sports landscape.

Right now NBA is either number 1 or about to be. NBA and NFL are clearly top 2. MLB and NHL are a very distant second tier but it being number one in Canada gives Hockey a boost. MLB used to be number one a very long time ago. Soccer might not be as big as MLB and NHL yet but it probably is going to surpass them at some point.

I know it's cool to hate on MMA/UFC but it is OP.

MMA/UFC gets a shitload of Media attention if, if, a huge fucking name is fighting....Now with ESPN, we get coverage even if it isn't a huge name.

It's around the same level as boxing.

Lets just say that out of 10 people.......4 probably knew about Conor, Ronda, Brock, UFC 100, etc....all the big events/names...That's popular.

And now they’re all gone. So... What’s your future plans?

It’s behind basketball, football, and soccer. Definitely ahead of baseball , I have never met a single person who watches baseball in my entire life but know thousands of MMA fans

Neck and neck with Major League Soccer

It’s behind basketball, football, and soccer. Definitely ahead of baseball , I have never met a single person who watches baseball in my entire life but know thousands of MMA fans

Wow , ignorance is marvelous, with revenue of 10.3 billions and attendance over 69 millions in 2018 you "have never met a single person who watches baseball "

Wow , ignorance is marvelous, with revenue of 10.3 billions and attendance over 69 millions in 2018 you "have never met a single person who watches baseball "
He probably didn't pronanounce it right,he meant baseball is sport for nerds and virgins and he is a goodfella

Most of MMA is not really that popular.

I bet you your average American sports fan couldn't name a single UFC champion right now.

The only things that get real mainstream attention are freakshows like the recent Bieber/Cruise talk or Conor fights.

Despite his MASSIVE list of accomplishments I would be surprised if even your casual MMA fan in the US knew who Henry Cejudo is.

Back