What are some great fights that are not rewatchable aka You had to be have seen them live

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a fight like Silva/Sonnen 1

If you saw that fight live you, like me, know it was an absolutely incredibly 4 and a half rounds. But largely because of the surprise of Sonnen over performing and Silva's comeback. Rewaching it is okay, bu not nearly as good.

But some fights, like Shogun/Henderson 1 are as or nearly as good whenever you see them.

Give me some examples

Stipe Miocic vs Francis Ngannou

Adrenaline was so high watching it live but it was boring as fuck rewatching

Stipe Miocic vs Francis Ngannou

Adrenaline was so high watching it live but it was boring as fuck rewatching
Woodley/Wonderboy 1 is kind of similar to that one, with less action
Only really exciting because of like 2 minutes total of action but live it was very tense and enjoyable

Wish I was there for Ronda v Holm

The series of small heart attacks I had watching the trio title fights on display at UFC 217 were electrifying.

whitakker romero 2 was a bit like that. me and my buddy were losing our minds watching that because whitakker was in serious fucking trouble twice i think, and romero had missed weight, so if he lost it would have just been a fucking shambles

not sure how exciting it would be watching it a second time, knowing the result

Anderson/Weidman 1

Anderson had a lot of those kind of fights imo because you knew the matrix could happen at anytime. But his fights could get boring at times until the flashy endings.

Holm vs. Rousey and Diaz vs. McGregor for sure.

But I'd say RDA vs Lawler.

Oh, yeah, Bigfoot vs. Overeem.

Can you imagine to watch that pummeling by the end, and then Bigfoot screaming towards a 96.31% dead Overeem on the ground while Herb Dean hugs him in a fight for his life?

Anderson/Weidman 1

Anderson had a lot of those kind of fights imo because you knew the matrix could happen at anytime. But his fights could get boring at times until the flashy endings.
I think one of the reasons why people strongly feel Anderson is the GOATt is because of that feeling.

Fedor too, though in a different kind of way. But there was a strange "Anything could happen" anxiety when watching Silva, love him or hate him.

GSP/Condit. That headkick was fucking wild and had me and my buddies jumping in front of the TV

Randy vs Timmeh

Kind of boring without context

Anderson/Weidman 1

Anderson fights were almost always boring until the end. There might be some drama, like when Vitor bumrushed him and took him down. But mostly, it's Anderson finding his distance and then trying to bait his opponent looking for a counter. That's it.

The fights he gets a lot of shit for being boring are just like any other fight, minus the spectacular endings we had gotten used to.

Those are bad examples. Those are both great fights with violent endings.
That's the reason why you had to see them live.

It's like Pulp Fiction, Terminator 2 and Fight Club, you have to see in the theaters, Netflix is sub par to their greatness.

That's the reason why you had to see them live.

It's like Pulp Fiction, Terminator 2 and Fight Club, you have to see in the theaters, Netflix is sub par to their greatness.
I get what you are saying but fight club is a highly rewatchable movie imo

I get what you are saying but fight club is a highly rewatchable movie imo
I don't want to take away any greatness on these movies (Fight Club is my GOAT btw), they all kick ass.

But then we have to figure out what's the idea of this thread... Is it about great fights that are so great that you have to have seen it live or is it fights that were great live, but translated poorly while on camera? (Is this even possible?)

I'd say UFC in Rio 1 was a pressure cooker, maybe that's an answer on that line of thougt... (Or is it line of fought? pa-boom-tsss)

You had to have seen Sanchez vs guida live. I hadn't been watching for even nearly a year by then. But I knew this was going to be something to see. (I was essentially a TUF 8/TUF 9 noob, posting on here as ah a different join date). But yeah i didn't expect it to start like that and I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of it and I never forgot it and I never will. I smiled so wide when they announced it was being inducted into the hall of fame

Back