"Don't make the prospects fight each other"

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
Is honestly one of the dumbest things I hear people say in mma.

The reasoning people give is so " we don't lose a prospect" or "so one doesn't knock the other out of contention" ...
Isn't that the fucking point?

I don't want any up and comer or rising star to fight for a title if he hasn't faced the next best prospect. It defeats the purpose of fighting.

I say, fuck all that, make them fight, ALWAYS .. Kill that noise.

Do you agree? Thoughts?..
Discuss

I have no objection to prospect vs prospect fights.

ufc doesnt have any stars left after conor stopped fighting so they're desperate

Yep, pretty stupid, some people would rather see prospects beat up 40 year old veterans (and at the same time discredit that win) instead of fighting each other for the #1 spot, the one that loses has to fight once ir twice more before the TS, big fucking deal.

I like when fighters fight often and I don't care about an occasional loss for them BUT....

There was a definite mystique about mma when there were superstars... its tougher to get excited about new guys without all that hype.

Totally agree, I want title contender vs title contender fights, and prospect vs prospect. If you lose just build yourself back up, MMA as a sport and it's fans are super forgiving of losses. Case in point the majority never held losing to Conor against Max.

If the division is weak it makes no sense to have prospects fight each other. From a business standpoint it make sense to constantly be building up contenders. The top guys will eventually all fight each other. I prefer these prospect fights to happen later down the line after they have experience and the stakes are higher

Someone's gonna lose, so there is always a reason for one fighter not to fight another. On the other hand losing to a prospect can end your career, so highly ranked guys should only fight contenders? What if you're the champ? Fans lose with the cherry picking.

This is the mentality that guides the “chosen fighters” into Top 5 contention or a title shot..... then when they get ran over by a “bad style matchup” (hardcore fans already knew they’d have trouble with) everyone says “they were overrated anyway”...including the same ppl who wanted them guided into position in the first place.

Oh it doesnt even matter anymore. If a prospect gets knocked off he wins one fight and is offered a title shot anyway with wme.

It litterally doesnt matter anymore

Yeah, I mean, the fact that Aldo knocked of Monaco and then fought Volk resulting in Edgar vs Holloway is awesome.

Matching them up early on makes no sense
Not saying they should fight a bunch of over the hill fighters but they need to beat proven veterans to show they belong and if they pass those tests they then need to beat established top 10 fighters to show they belong in the top 10
If a prospect fights a prospect before either is established maybe both just suck but one sucks less than the other, we don't really learn much about either guy.

Sure, but don't pair them until a #1 contender match then.

Prospects need to be nurtured and built. Especially fighters of young age, the fight game has a mental aspect and one needs to mature... gradually.

Back