Misconception on Northcutt loss

Kaiokenrye24

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
People seem to that Sage Northcutt and Eddie Alvarez getting finished means that one fc is getting pretty close to the ufc’s level in talent

Hindsight is 2020, but there were some obvious signs that Sage was going to have problems.
He got dropped 10 seconds in to his fight against Zak Ottow, one of the least dangerous fighters on the roster and Mickey Gall. He was fighting at 185 against a killer in Alexandre while Sage never fought at 185, plus Ottow is Sage’s best win and his other wins were bottom of the roster talents especially Francisco Trevino

Also training at tam doesnt help either

Last edited:
Didn't expect him to get starched... but going against a legit striker things like this happen. Would like to see him diet and fight at 170...

Are we talking about the company that has Greg Hardy and CM Punk?

A fights a fight, and other organizations just have some really talented fighters as well.

Fighters transitioning between Cage and Ring seem to frequently get caught out.
Sage is very much a fighter that relies on his movement.
I think a big part of this outcome was he underestimated the impacts of fighting in a ring.

Sage's management and camp failed him. I dont blame ONE's match making either, since Cosmo was KO'd in his previous fight with them and he's nearly 40. The UFC has a matching claus ONE probably invested a lot to have Sage there and they need all the fighters they can find.

Sage doesnt spar (as far as i know), and trains with TAM

He's no world beater, but you just kinda assume they'd give him a favorable matchup in his debut though

Neither of these fights says anything about the quality of competition imo.

Flood both orgs with top Russians and watch em wreck house

To be fair the UFC tried finding easy fights for Sage, and they had trouble.

I thought literally everyone on the planet well knew that Sage is a really bad fighter.

I mean the case against Eddie is stronger since he was a champ and he beat some good fighters in the UFC. Sage pretty much couldn’t cut it so was let go so he could go and try to develop his career somewhere else a little easier. Waaay back when they first signed him, I said the ufc was picking him up too early and he had a lot of skill to learn

Sage doesnt spar (as far as i know), and trains with TAM

He's no world beater, but you just kinda assume they'd give him a favorable matchup in his debut though

Neither of these fights says anything about the quality of competition imo.

Flood both orgs with top Russians and watch em wreck house
He spars with Raymond Daniels his future brother in law. Probably others too.

I don't think anyone ever though sage was elite. He list to Mickey gall....

Keep in mind that the best win of Sage's entire career was Cody Pfister.

Fighters transitioning between Cage and Ring seem to frequently get caught out.
Sage is very much a fighter that relies on his movement.
I think a big part of this outcome was he underestimated the impacts of fighting in a ring.
I agree with you completely. I do not understand why Sage lets his opponent get so close, so often. Maintaining kicking distance should be drummed into him. Stephen Thompson is a master of maintaining distance.

Last edited:
I didnt even know Sage was figting Cosmo until i saw it the day after. Was shocled that Sages team said yes to that fight. Do they do any research? Cosmo is an absolute beast Muay thai vet.
Sage’s bladed pointfighting stance was doomed from the start. Look what pettis did with basic muay thai against wonderboy. Sage had zero chance here

People seem to that Sage Northcutt and Eddie Alvarez getting finished means that one fc is getting pretty close to the ufc’s level in talent

Hindsight is 2020, but there were some obvious signs that Sage was going to have problems.
He got dropped 10 seconds in to his fight against Zak Ottow, one of the least dangerous fighters on the roster and Mickey Gall. He was fighting at 185 against a killer in Alexandre while Sage never fought at 185, plus Ottow is Sage’s best win and his other wins were bottom of the roster talents especially Francisco Trevino

Also training at tam doesnt help either

Shut up

Back