Conor Turns His Back on Materialism: I Want to Be Like Lebron

What's your reaction to Conor's comments?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Conor Pays The Price to Get to the Next Level of Fighting Power

The Irishman Greenlights Himself to Clean Living

Conor McGregor says he’s made a pretty significant change in his life. According to the UFC star, he’s done with splurging on luxury items and is focusing more on investing in himself as he looks to regain his championship form.

“For so long, in my mid- to late-20s, when I started to acquire wealth and acquire money, I was fascinated with materialistic things. I would buy myself cars, watches... I switched off on that now,” McGregor said in a recently released interview with Tony Robbins.

“I realized I was spending things on material items and not things on myself, my being, on my fitness, on my health. I’ve switched that completely.”

McGregor says he was inspired by arguably the greatest NBA player of all time in LeBron James, who has shown insane longevity as he heads towards his 17th season.

James, who has also admitted to be hilariously frugal and cheap, is notorious for the hard work he puts in during the offseason and the focus he puts on conditioning and recovery. McGregor states that he’s taking notes and following through by investing in his body and his health as well.

“My nutritionist travels with me full-time, my doctors, my training partners, my coaches. I have a full team and it’s all for health, fitness and peak performance,” McGregor said. “We’ve got to be in shape, physically, to be in shape, mentally. I’m putting more time in that.

“I actually realized that first when I read that LeBron James... spends $1.5 million a year on himself. Physical therapists, masseuse, nutritionists, trainers, all of that. When I (saw) that, I said ‘I spend zero. I spend zero!’

McGregor has admitted to have had “lapses” in his motivation and commitment in the past, saying that his old methods were done a bit half-hearted.

“When a camp forms for a fight, I’ll gather a team of people. We go into the Vegas desert and lock ourselves away for ten weeks and do insanity work. If I’m training back at home during camp, I have fighters locked in a hotel room, waiting, on-call to come and fight me. It’s an insane game, but not all-in. It’s half-way in; it’s not all-in.

“You certainly cannot be that way in the fight-game, but in reality you can’t be that way in any game you’re in. If you’re in a game, make sure you’re in it all the way, all-in with it; and then that game will be your game. That’s were I am right now.

“I’ve only taken this philosophy recently. Like I said, I’ve had dips, lapses in motivation, dips in commitment. But I’m figuring it all out and I’m feeling good, and I’m in a good place.”

BloodyElbow.com

Last edited:
He's already massively overrated how can he be anymore like lebron?

Come on, Conor, you did spend a decent amount on your touch butt coach.

If he goes all in on MMA again, turns his life around and stops being such a shithead, I would have no issue rooting for him.

Last edited:
I’ve followed his career since he got signed against Marcus Brimage.

His belief in himself, his charisma, and the way he approaches the game I’ve always admired, but nowadays he be on that bullshit. All he ever does is talk about his lame ass whiskey.

But I also understand the UFC is fucked up too, they don’t wanna pay him what he’s worth so he doesn’t want to fight.

Now it's: Two footed, energy efficient, minimalist Conor?

Well it's official his burn rate was way to high and he's approaching broke

I wonder how much is left in his bank account. He seems to have fucked around and done some damage.

I agree it's funny that even an Irishman with a casual understanding of the sport knows HeBron is better than Jordan

Hilarious in its simplicity

He's too young to have seen Jordan. Kids are the only ones who think James is better.

He's too young to have seen Jordan. Kids are the only ones who think James is better.
Only Eunichs and octogenarians think Jordan > LeGOAT

Jordan not even better than Kareem youngn fack outta here, top three at best

We just need Ronaldo and it'll be the four GOATs from the worlds four biggest sports (in order NFL, MMA, Basketball then Soccer)
He already took a page out of Ronaldo’s book back in that hotel room.

What’s Messi up to?

Back