News Jorge Masvidal to face Anthony Pettis in jiu-jitsu match on June 15

Siauliai

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Two of the UFC’s top-rated welterweights will be going at it in four weeks, but not in the Octagon.

DT Promotions out of Pensacola, Fla., has announced Jorge Masvidal (33-13) vs. Anthony Pettis (22-8) in a grappling match for an iPPV show on June 15 at the Pensacola Bay Center.

The match is billed as a jiu-jitsu superfight. Masvidal is currently the No. 4 contender in the UFC’s welterweight division, which is championed by Kamaru Usman. The bout with Pettis comes three weeks before Masvidal’s July 6 UFC 239 bout with Ben Askren, a fight with significant championship implications.

Pettis, a former UFC lightweight champion, returned to welterweight, a division he fought at early in his career, and knocked out Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson. The win established Pettis as the No. 8 ranked contender. He’ll do the grappling match as a prelude to a major fight with Nate Diaz on a UFC 241, on Aug. 17 from Anaheim, Calif.

ESPN first reported the match on Sunday.

The show will also include a grappling match featuring No. 2 ranked middleweight contender Yoel Romero (13-3).

The event will be a benefit show for the Bully Proof Foundation.

I have to give edge to Pettis on the ground. This guy submited Prime Benson who was never been submited before also masvidal was submited twice.
Picks?

Last edited:
Very interested in seeing Yoel grapple

It'll end just being a friendly but a little competitive grappling match. There good friends so I doubt they are really going to push it to the limit specially since both of them have upcoming bouts.

Interesting.

For what it's worth, Maia said, after he fought Masvidal, in his post victory interview that Masvidal is "One of the best jiu-jitsu guys I've ever faced in the octagon" … That's gotta count for something guys! Ya'll are sleepin' on my boy!

For what it's worth, Maia said, after he fought Masvidal, in his post victory interview that Masvidal is "One of the best jiu-jitsu guys I've ever faced in the octagon" … That's gotta count for something guys! Ya'll are sleepin' on my boy!
Maia is a wizard of bjj so yeah it means Jorge bjj is legit.

Pettis is lethal on the ground it would be shocking if masvidal subbed him

Romero?.. Does anywhere indicate who he will face.

I think Pettis gets the win. But Jorge is no scrub.

wow, Pettis is ranked #8 after 1 win at WW?

i guess i shouldn't be surprised since he got a title shot at FW after beating Charles Oliveira and going on an incredible 1 fight win streak.

wow, Pettis is ranked #8 after 1 win at WW?

i guess i shouldn't be surprised since he got a title shot at FW after beating Charles Oliveira and going on an incredible 1 fight win streak.
Ranks means nothing. Pettis is big name in MMA thats why he got TS.

Two of the UFC’s top-rated welterweights will be going at it in four weeks, but not in the Octagon.

DT Promotions out of Pensacola, Fla., has announced Jorge Masvidal (33-13) vs. Anthony Pettis (22-8) in a grappling match for an iPPV show on June 15 at the Pensacola Bay Center.

The match is billed as a jiu-jitsu superfight. Masvidal is currently the No. 4 contender in the UFC’s welterweight division, which is championed by Kamaru Usman. The bout with Pettis comes three weeks before Masvidal’s July 6 UFC 239 bout with Ben Askren, a fight with significant championship implications.

Pettis, a former UFC lightweight champion, returned to welterweight, a division he fought at early in his career, and knocked out Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson. The win established Pettis as the No. 8 ranked contender. He’ll do the grappling match as a prelude to a major fight with Nate Diaz on a UFC 241, on Aug. 17 from Anaheim, Calif.

ESPN first reported the match on Sunday.

The show will also include a grappling match featuring No. 2 ranked middleweight contender Yoel Romero (13-3).

The event will be a benefit show for the Bully Proof Foundation.

I have to give edge to Pettis on the ground. This guy submited Prime Benson who was never been submited before also masvidal was submited twice.
Picks?
Who is Yoel facing? :D

Since when Punk is big name in MMA? He was big name in circus show wwe.

he's a bigger name in MMA, WWE, and the world.

why do you think they brought him to the UFC? the same reason they brought Brock to the UFC. because he's more famous than anyone in the UFC not named Conor McGregor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back