Benson Henderson Burns UFC Drama Queens, Posers and Politics

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Former UFC Champion's Epic Rant

Henderson, 35, has avoided getting involved in personal squabbles with any of his Bellator opponents since joining the promotion three years ago.

. . .

In a recent interview with MMA Fighting, Henderson was asked if he pays much attention to the UFC’s lightweight division that he once ruled over and whether he feels like the drama stirred up by names like Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor tends to overshadow the other contenders.

. . .

"When you’re on a six-fight, seven-fight win streak and you can’t get a title shot call, or it just doesn’t go your way. There’s a bunch of stuff, but it’s just like the politics of it, you’re not known for what you do inside the cage. You’re more known for what you do outside the cage. That very much irks me, because I’m pretty boring outside the cage.

"I’m a blue collar. I go to work. I bust my ass in the gym, but I’m not somebody who’s going to say something outlandish just for the sake of getting a few more Twitter followers or I’m not gonna pose naked for more Instagram followers. I’m not one of those guys that says something stupid just for the sake of getting more attention.”

Henderson (26-8) originally made a name for himself as one of the best lightweights in the World Extreme Cagefighting promotion and by the time he joined the UFC in 2011, he was already a cult hero. From there, Henderson showed that he was truly elite, winning his first seven UFC fights and capturing a world title that he successfully defended three times. Throughout, Henderson maintained the same demeanor that endeared him to fans in the first place.

Given his own climb up the ladder, he’s even more confused by how some of his peers seem to experience a drastic personality change once they get a taste of stardom.

“I think in the UFC that’s exactly the route you have to go. You have to say something incredibly stupid, you have to wear sunglasses inside to get the attention,” Henderson said. “You have to start wearing fur coats.

"I see these younger guys, when they get into the UFC, they’re pretty normal, straight-laced, good guys, just hard workers, that’s how they got to the UFC. And then they go on a two-fight, three-fight win streak and all of a sudden they’re wearing fur coats to media interviews and wearing sunglasses inside.

"Who is this guy? Where’d you come from?

“Yeah, we’re all growing, we’re all changing, you’re not going to be the same person at 29 that you were at 24, but that being said, you’re going to become somebody who wears a fur coat in the middle of July, like, come on, be serious there, kid.

"I am very happy, very thankful that I don’t have to deal with that for sure.”

. . .

--MMAFighting.com

Last edited:
Would love to see him back in the UFC, I know he had a lot of split decisions and is on the downside of his career but he could definitely compete at LW in the UFC.

Always liked Benson, even though I'm not a jesus kind of guy.
I think prime Bendo was an awful match-up for Khabib, except maybe undersized.

Thanks for posting, btw. That Bellator card is looking great.

Prime Benson would of gave khabib fits. Would of also loved to see prime Edgar vs khabib also

Has he taken the tooth pick out of his mouth yet?

Yes Benson. You have no gimmicks at all lol

Last edited:
“But man, when you’re on a six-fight, seven-fight win streak and you can’t get a title shot call, or it just doesn’t go your way. There’s a bunch of stuff, but it’s just like the politics of it, you’re not known for what you do inside the cage. You’re more known for what you do outside the cage. That very much irks me, because I’m pretty boring outside the cage. I’m a blue collar, I go to work, I bust my ass in the gym, but I’m not somebody who’s going to say something outlandish just for the sake of getting a few more Twitter followers or I’m not gonna pose naked for more Instagram followers. I’m not one of those guys that says something stupid just for the sake of getting more attention.”
tenor.gif

Toothpick bless..

Henderson-Toothpick.png

I thought the toothpick was a marketing shtick...

Criticizing fighters for wearing sunglasses indoors and fur coats in the summer yet he fights with a toothpick in his mouth and doesn't even bother getting his hair braided for fights anymore...

I liked Bendo when he was in the UFC. Would have definitely liked to see him stick around a little longer.

Did he ever join the military like he said he would or did he decide the shaved head look would be bad for his image?

Brushing his hair out of his face with his left is Benson's best feint.
Also gives points on the judges scorecards for extraordinary aesthetics, that's why Elias Theodorou wins decisions all the time, you see.

I'm not sure if it's a laziness thing or what but he used to braid it and then he just started wearing a hair tie that would come undone after a couple minutes then proceed to play with his hair for the duration of the fight. I'm not sure if it's an image thing or why he stopped braiding it but you've clearly never seen him fight if you don't know what I'm referring to.

Also gives points on the judges scorecards for extraordinary aesthetics, that's why Elias Theodorou wins decisions all the time, you see.
<TheWire1>

I'm not sure if it's a laziness thing or what but he used to braid it and then he just started wearing a hair tie that would come undone after a couple minutes then proceed to play with his hair for the duration of the fight. I'm not sure if it's an image thing or why he stopped braiding it but you've clearly never seen him fight if you don't know what I'm referring to.
I know exactly what you're referring to, I just don't know how that's considered an antic or anything related. If you know anything about hair braiding, especially hair that long, that takes a long ass time to do. Maybe he thinks he could utilize that time doing something more constructive?

I know exactly what you're referring to, I just don't know how that's considered an antic or anything related. If you know anything about hair braiding, especially hair that long, that takes a long ass time to do. Maybe he thinks he could utilize that time doing something more constructive?
Then... I don't know... Just an idea but why doesn't he cut his freaking hair then? It's not like he's Samson or something.

The one thing I always hated about Benson is his hair. He is always pulling it back in a fight. If he cut it, he wouldn't have to fuck with it so much and be able to throw an additional 5-10 punches/kicks a round.

He bullied Frankie around the cage, walked through all Frankies pitty pat punching.

Then he tapped to Pettis in like a minute.

lol

Hahaa...
Add Guida to that list too...

As Hioki and Kawajiri were saying:
He is mostly winning because of his hair is flying around...looks like he is doing a lot but actually isnt...

The good ol hair trick

Back