Why do fan bases develop rivalries?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
in mma

This isn’t team sports where you’re geographically tied to a team, and it’s an us vs them mentality

You have no stock, real,or imagined in these wins and losses. I understand having favorites, but why put down other fighters to build your guys up

It’s a real problem man, let’s respect all these guys and what they do

Tribalism, it's all the rage these days! Reminds me of the console wars. My son was a diehard PlayStation fanboy and hated Nintendo/XBox with a passion. <45>

Tribalism, it's all the rage these days! Reminds me of the console wars. My son was a diehard PlayStation fanboy and hated Nintendo/XBox with a passion. <45>
That’s a good comparison because much like in MMA you don’t even really get bragging rights ifnthe other guy loses

Not a real problem.

When grenades start flying and/or referees get beheaded, then we have a problem.

Because there can only be 1 GOAT!

<{silvanormal}>

Come at me GSP fanbois!

It's a way for people to get a win in life, even if they have nothing to do with it.

Hop on Team Khabib and you get to gloat about his victory because you chose the right side on an karate messageboard.
Meanwhile people who tried to do the same thing on Team Conor are bitter that they chose wrong and don't get to gloat, so they try and undermine Khabib's performance.

This just makes Team Khabib strike back, and here we go and now there is a rivalry full of salty weirdos on the internet.

Fanboyism. They idolize these fighters.

this
men in this society are quick to venerate their favorite sports athletes.
talk bad about said athlete and their all up in your ass in their feelings ready to defend to the death.

I agree TS. People should stop trying to throw dirt on the GOAT’s legacy in order to alleviate their insecurities about their own favorite fighter.

9648FEF2-4490-4181-86FD-740D6990F860.jpeg

Fuck, even geographical ties are retarded most of the time. Makes just as much sense to pick a favorite team cuz you like their colors.

Only time fanboying kinda matters is if you're making money on it, cuz then its is part of an investment.

Too many insecure fanboys need to take a shit on a fighter in order to prop up their favorite fighters.

Fuck, even geographical ties are retarded most of the time. Makes just as much sense to pick a favorite team cuz you like their colors.
Agreed. But at least that’s understandable

Like, your entire family supports a team and you grow up from a kid watching the sport in memorable moments with your father or grandma or whatever

There’s no excuses in mma

in mma

This isn’t team sports where you’re geographically tied to a team, and it’s an us vs them mentality

You have no stock, real,or imagined in these wins and losses. I understand having favorites, but why put down other fighters to build your guys up

It’s a real problem man, let’s respect all these guys and what they do

because many fans think that talking shit about some fighters will make their favourite look better, therefore irritating fans of said fighters. It's as if you can't like a fighter without disliking rivals or even regular popular fighters in other weightclasses.
like GSP fans often talk shit about anderson, and anderson fans talk badly about GSP.
they think diminishing the other will make their favourite look good.
then you have jones and conrad fans who chose to ignore their favourite is a cheater and/or an asshole, and talk badly about all te others to distract attention from this fact

cuz 13yo ppl
unless you hate Conor though then it's fair game

Back