Luck in MMA.

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
They say it's all about timing in life, or in sports. Gotta be at the right place and right time. Whether it's life choices, sporting competition, and what not.

I feel like in MMA luck might play some role in people's success. *Rizin 15 spoiler alert next sentence*

King Mo, in my opinion, I followed his career from the debut, was a spectacular prospect, and if you ask my personal opinion, as good as it gets. He has very high level wrestling, he was an offensive wrestler at the highest level of freestyle competition, he was taking guys down, a notch and notch above Khabib in Russia, and making it look easy. And it looked like he had the cockiness, the power, explosiveness, and everything.

On the other hand, Khabib Nurmagomedov has never lost a fight yet. And he also never ever in his life had to face a high level NCAA wrestler, which if you think about it, is little crazy. Back a decade ago, if Khabib competed at lightweight division back then, he might have had to go through guys like Guida, Sean Sherk, Gray Maynard, Edgar, Bj Penn, Diego Sanchez, Benson Henderson, Varner, Shane Roller, Melendez, Gomi, Tyson Griffin, and so on

Guys like King Mo or Hendricks would molest Khabib Nurmagomedov in wrestling, and in pound for pound sense, Khabib would literally get destroyed by them by guys with far superior wrestling and striking, a guy who couldn't even take down Tibau, ped or not, but look how their careers have panned out. Khabib is being heralded as the next coming of War-God, and Hendricks has retired to knuckle boxing, and King Mo's career might be coming to an end.

Khabib in a way reminds me Miguel Torres or Tyson Woodley, both of whom I never felt like deserved the hype behind them, and they did have massive hype behind them, and I say that with all due respect, because I never want to kick someone when they are down, and I am not trying to be disrespectful, just staying consistent. But, look where their worshippers have disappeared to. They are all but gone.

It makes me wonder. We can't overcome the fate, can we, in life or in sports.....

It's good to have a horseshoe up your ass until someone pulls that thing out and beats you over the head with it

Fate can be manipulated infinitely, or is that just fate? Much hespeck on Tyrons name.

Of coarse “right place right time” plays a major role in all things, MMA success is no different..

a guy who couldn't even take down Tibau,
This fight was in 2012.
Seven years ago.
Do you have any idea how much a professional fighter who trains twice a day can improve over a period of 7 years?

This fight was in 2012.
Seven years ago.
Do you have any idea how much a professional fighter who trains twice a day can improve over a period of 7 years?

LUL

This fight was in 2012.
Seven years ago.

Same can be said about Tibau too son. Lmao

It's good to have a horseshoe up your ass until someone pulls that thing out and beats you over the head with it
giphy.gif

No doubt luck is a factor across the board, however I also feel that in a lot of ways we can create our own luck by being prepared.

This fight was in 2012.
Seven years ago.

This sounded extremely stupid and brain dead. But I felt so stupid as to why this was so extremely stupid and brain dead, so I asked myself, why is this so stupid. And the reason this is so stupid is the fact, that there's so much someone can improve in a given field. Let's say a pianist at the highest level. Just because someone practices ,and time passes, it doesn't mean that they improve at infinite level. It can be said about anything, not just music, but sports, or anything. It's like saying, imagine how fast Usain Bolt was 10 years ago, but look at him now, even consider he remained in his physical prime, you see.

Khabib has adapted his wrestling to MMA much better than either King Mo or Hendricks. Keep in mind that GSP - a man with no wrestling credentials outside of MMA - out-wrestled every wrestler they put in front of him.

Luck in mma can be influenced with consistency and good judgment.

To be fair to Khabib, there are a lot of intangibles that straight wrestling can’t prepare you for. We’ve seen many times where great wrestlers were neutralized with simple adjustments, or by fighters who weren’t known for their grappling.

Hendricks’ deterioration was his own doing. How much of a role USADA played, I don’t know. But he sure as hell didn’t make things easier with his ballooning between fights.

King Mo on the other hand is a little different imo. While I do think he’s always been a little reckless and overconfident in his striking, I don’t think he’s been the same since that life threatening staph infection he had. It just seemed like dropped a level and never found his way back.

Same can be said about Tibau too son. Lmao
Since that loss to khabib, tibau had 6 losses, before last fight he was on a 4-fight losing streak, so no, he obviously hasn't improved as much.
But rewatch the fight again, they looked like they were different weight class.

Lol who the fuck is Tyson Woodley?

I’ll agree with TS that LW was way more stacked with elite wrestlers in years past. I’m not sure it would make a difference, though. Nothing that I’ve seen about Khabib’s style indicates that strong American wrestlers would be his kryptonite.

This sounded extremely stupid and brain dead. But I felt so stupid as to why this was so extremely stupid and brain dead, so I asked myself, why is this so stupid. And the reason this is so stupid is the fact, that there's so much someone can improve in a given field. Let's say a pianist at the highest level. Just because someone practices ,and time passes, it doesn't mean that they improve at infinite level. It can be said about anything, not just music, but sports, or anything. It's like saying, imagine how fast Usain Bolt was 10 years ago, but look at him now, even consider he remained in his physical prime, you see.
The only stupid thing here is insulting people hiding behind your keyboard.
You're shitting on an undefeated champion with 27:0 record calling him "a hype."
Find a local gym and start some training, that would teach you to respect not only the professional fighters and champions but people in general.

Back