Pride boss regrets sale; offers to work with UFC to determine best fighter

OzoneX

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Some of the noteworthy quotes from RIZIN founder and president Nobuyuki Sakakibara's interview:

“Of course I regret selling PRIDE. I would not be here today — I would not try to revive the Japanese market with RIZIN if I did not regret selling PRIDE.”

“Our goal is to create premiere live entertainment, that's what we are aiming for [with Rizin]. Not only for combat. We’d like to collaborate with music, get best value out of live entertainment content."

“Any company would think it great to go IPO. We need to grow our content and build value in what we produce. That’s what I feel as of right now.”

“We have a solid relation with Bellator, I respect Scott Coker as a promoter very much. We experienced the same era where MMA was considered barbaric. While there are many things I cannot disclose right now, we’re in communication and there’s definitely progress. There are going to be things that will make fight fans very excited."

“At the end of the day, my goal is to put on the World Cup of MMA, so if we could work with everyone to determine the best fighter in the world, that would be fantastic.”

“It’s always nice to have healthy competition, there’s no development if there’s no competition. We hope UFC comes back to Japan. UFC’s negotiations with (broadcaster) Wowow in Japan is a good thing. Although the Japanese market is not as big and lucrative as the US, we think there s a lot of potential, so we hope UFC continues the challenge here so we can have a healthy competitive relationship."

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/4/...regrets-and-ushering-a-new-era-with-rizin-mma

Lmao nobody from wme nor Dana will call the guy back.

Well then maybe not get wrapped up with Yakuza, you only have yourself to blame for Pride's number one biggest failure.

World Cup MMA....pipe dream. These little orgs can't even get together to do anything outside of one off match ups once in a while. Please stop clamoring to be affiliated with the UFC. Business is usually a competition not let's help each other out in the same marketplace with more or less the same product on top of it.

Last edited:
Yeah just what I want, mma to regress back into fixed and freak show fights.

RIZIN has nothing the UFC wants. UFC could possibly co-promote with One since they have the Asian market by the balls. If the UFC really wants to break into it, then they'll have to best One and their fighters. Beating some relative unknowns from a dying Japanese org doesn't really get casuals hyped up to tune in.

Rizin has like 12 good fighters and everyone else would be an opponent for an undefeated Bellator prospect to stunt on in America

i don't get what he regrets? didn't he basically sell the UFC just a bunch of fight footage and Mark Hunt?

Fixed/freakshow fights aside, Pride had a better product. The 10 minute first round really benefited BJJ guys working for subs while the opponent was still dry. Stomping out downed opponents was great for dealing with floppers, the yellow cards deterred stall tactics.

The UFC isn't dumb enough to let that that happen. Why risk having your champ lose then go back to you organization? Goochi is pretty much the Bellator champ but will never fight for them.

Sakakibara was a true artist. What a masterpiece this man put together in that era, must have been an amazing feeling.

Some of the noteworthy quotes from RIZIN founder and president Nobuyuki Sakakibara's interview:

“Of course I regret selling PRIDE. I would not be here today — I would not try to revive the Japanese market with RIZIN if I did not regret selling PRIDE.”

“Our goal is to create premiere live entertainment, that's what we are aiming for [with Rizin]. Not only for combat. We’d like to collaborate with music, get best value out of live entertainment content."

“Any company would think it great to go IPO. We need to grow our content and build value in what we produce. That’s what I feel as of right now.”

“We have a solid relation with Bellator, I respect Scott Coker as a promoter very much. We experienced the same era where MMA was considered barbaric. While there are many things I cannot disclose right now, we’re in communication and there’s definitely progress. There are going to be things that will make fight fans very excited."

“At the end of the day, my goal is to put on the World Cup of MMA, so if we could work with everyone to determine the best fighter in the world, that would be fantastic.”

“It’s always nice to have healthy competition, there’s no development if there’s no competition. We hope UFC comes back to Japan. UFC’s negotiations with (broadcaster) Wowow in Japan is a good thing. Although the Japanese market is not as big and lucrative as the US, we think there s a lot of potential, so we hope UFC continues the challenge here so we can have a healthy competitive relationship."

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/4/...regrets-and-ushering-a-new-era-with-rizin-mma

ABEu3KpO_400x400.jpeg

Oh, I remember when Dana brought the UFC to Japan.

qssgsm.jpg

<31>

At least Saki admits RIZIN is a cheap rip off of PRIDE.

Last good Pride rip off was DREAM.

Rizin talent vs UFC talent is a very hot topic
We MUST find out who is beeter

Fixed/freakshow fights aside, Pride had a better product. The 10 minute first round really benefited BJJ guys working for subs while the opponent was still dry. Stomping out downed opponents was great for dealing with floppers, the yellow cards deterred stall tactics.
That ring sucked though. I take a fight in the cage with any type of rounds and even without stomps or knees to the ground instead of that ring. Every event I see, they have to restart fights multiple times because of the ring. Not a better product because of that ring alone IMO

Back