MMA Striking is still very new

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
It's so hard to consistently perform well in the striking department, in MMA. It has a very complexe approach to it that can't be compared to professional Boxing, Muay thai or Kick boxing. Solid fundamentals in those martial arts are essential but MMA striking is still very new and I believe it will take a couple more decades before we see MMA striking become a martial art of it's own. From my experience, a lot of gyms and fighters train every discipline separately. They go to a boxing gym/class for boxing, jutjitsu for grappling and wrestling for wrestling. I've seen very few coaches teach striking with the notion of takedowns. I've also seen few jutjisu coaches teach bjj/wrestling with the notion of striking . You can't do certain things in MMA that you can do it pro Muay Thai or Pro BJJ.
This is why it's very difficult to claim who is the best striker in the MMA.
Silva got KO'd by Weidman, dropped by Sonnen and McGregor got dropped by Khabib.
To me, the best strikers are the ones who were capable of mixing striking and other martial art disciplines. Demetrious Johnson and Jon Jones come to mind.

It's only a matter of time before some old ninja comes off his mountain to clean out the entire UFC using just his Chi.

Striking and grappling are only relevant until this happens. We all have always known this deep down inside ourselves.

Last edited:
DqanJ8OXcAAFDq_.jpg

No in boxing, MT etc you have VERY constrained rules that allow a "superior" gameplan to emerge. MMA is multifaceted and a gameplan may never emerge. Whatever you train may work against a wrestler with striking but not a BJJ with striking or a judo with MT or a sambo with karate. The combinations and how individuals choose to emphasize particular aspects of each element are what keeps MMA interesting. I don't know of any gyms that aren't teaching combination classes vs individual classes like you mentioned. Maybe try going to an MMA gym.

As someone who's only training background is in boxing... I can say that I'd rather be master of one than a jack of all trades and this thread just goes to show that comparing MMA to boxing or any other specific discipline is dumb.

Is this thread a troll? As soon as you said silva KOed by weidman I stopped reading.

Boxing is boxing.
Striking is striking.

I was watching "Facing Ali" this weekend and watching guys like Frasier, Norton, Shavers etc casually throw bombs really snaps this into focus.

No in boxing, MT etc you have VERY constrained rules that allow a "superior" gameplan to emerge. MMA is multifaceted and a gameplan may never emerge. Whatever you train may work against a wrestler with striking but not a BJJ with striking or a judo with MT or a sambo with karate. The combinations and how individuals choose to emphasize particular aspects of each element are what keeps MMA interesting. I don't know of any gyms that aren't teaching combination classes vs individual classes like you mentioned. Maybe try going to an MMA gym.
You’re bringing up interesting points.
I’ve managed a well
known MMA gym and MMA group classes are very common, but most of the pro classes are either BJJ or MMA sparring. I haven’t seen much emphasis towards teaching beginners the fundamentals of MMA. Mostly because the fundamentals are based of off other martial arts. The large majority of beginners start by going to different group classes that teach different disciplines. They then jump into mma sparring and manage a way to use all their different tools and figure out what works and what doesn’t. I’d like to see a day where boxing training isn’t just sparring with your local amateur boxers, but also keeping in mind how other aspects of MMA can influence the effectiveness of your boxing. I don’t know if I’m being clear. All of this is much easier said than done, my point was simply that I think this sport is very new in terms of striking and it will evolve in the future, but like boxing did.

It's so hard to consistently perform well in the striking department, in MMA. It has a very complexe approach to it that can't be compared to professional Boxing, Muay thai or Kick boxing. Solid fundamentals in those martial arts are essential but MMA striking is still very new and I believe it will take a couple more decades before we see MMA striking become a martial art of it's own. From my experience, a lot of gyms and fighters train every discipline separately. They go to a boxing gym/class for boxing, jutjitsu for grappling and wrestling for wrestling. I've seen very few coaches teach striking with the notion of takedowns. I've also seen few jutjisu coaches teach bjj/wrestling with the notion of striking . You can't do certain things in MMA that you can do it pro Muay Thai or Pro BJJ.
This is why it's very difficult to claim who is the best striker in the MMA.
Silva got KO'd by Weidman, dropped by Sonnen and McGregor got dropped by Khabib.
To me, the best strikers are the ones who were capable of mixing striking and other martial art disciplines. Demetrious Johnson and Jon Jones come to mind.
Jeet Kune Do started all this. It is not so new... /thread

As someone who's only training background is in boxing... I can say that I'd rather be master of one than a jack of all trades and this thread just goes to show that comparing MMA to boxing or any other specific discipline is dumb.
Is that a philosophical idea for you? You'd just rather be more focused in on one specific skillset because it's what you prefer in life? Or do you think it's more practical for self defense purposes?

OT: I say this same thing a lot. I mean the technique is still pretty bad overall in all striking departments and I think it's a result of bad training and ignorance as the sport is still young. We're still learning this because it's a brand new fighting dynamic.

You're correct, there's a really long way to go in this sport. I've said it a few times in the last few months around here.

That's exciting though

I feel a definitive MMA hierarchy of go-to situational techniques will be solidified in another 10 years though.

That's what makes mma beautiful. So simple in principle yet so complex in practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back