Best fights with the worst endings

legatoblues

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just watched Chris Lytle vs Thiago Alves for the first time and what a fight it was. The action was chaotic, with Lytle throwing heavy shots and impressive combos, while Alves landed a series of savage leg kicks as well as plenty of big punches of his own.

Unfortunately the fight was stopped after the second round due to Chris Lytle having a cut above his eye. It was a disappointing and controversial finish because it was Alves' first punch that cut him, which was looked at and cleared after the second (however it looked like an additional cut may have opened in the second, couldn't quite tell).

Disappointing end because round 3 was shaping up to be a real war. Still got fight of the night.

What are some other similar examples? Not necessarily a doctor's stoppage / cut, but any good fights with bad endings of any sort.

Just watched Chris Lytle vs Thiago Alves for the first time and what a fight it was. The action was chaotic, with Lytle throwing heavy shots and impressive combos, while Alves landed a series of savage leg kicks as well as plenty of big punches of his own.

Unfortunately the fight was stopped after the second round due to Chris Lytle having a cut above his eye. It was a disappointing and controversial finish because it was Alves' first punch that cut him, which was looked at and cleared after the second (however it looked like an additional cut may have opened in the second, couldn't quite tell).

Disappointing end because round 3 was shaping up to be a real war. Still got fight of the night.

What are some other similar examples? Not necessarily a doctor's stoppage / cut, but any good fights with bad endings of any sort.
Poirier v. Alvarez I

Pettis vs Poirer was an incredible fight that ended in a weird rib injury inside a body lock.

Bisping vs. Hamill

Hamill dominated all aspects of the fight, only for Bisping to get the decision victory because the fight took place in England.

One of the worst robberies in UFC and MMA history.

Pettis vs Poirer was an incredible fight that ended in a weird rib injury inside a body lock.

Pettis had Dustin in a near submission at one point and the ref stopped it. I'm not saying it would have been the sub to end the fight, but it is a very dodgy moment

Tony Ferguson vs Anthony Pettis

Donald Cerrone vs Edson Barboza was fun but Edson's chin had to let us all down early.

Alvarez-Poirier I

Askren v Lawler, knew there was something obvious I was missing!

Woodley vs Thompson worst draw ever but we got that rematch!

Anderson Silva vs. Sonnen 1:
Incredible fight, incredible finish, and then the confusion when Chael claimed he didn't tap.
chael-sonnen-andereson-silva-ufc-117.jpg

CroCop vs. Barnett 3
Incredible OWGP, final fight, ends with an eye poke (also their previous fight when Barnett dislocated his shoulder...)
hqdefault.jpg

Fedor vs Bader. Fedor was DOMINATING that fight before Bader landed that lucky hook. Dodgy reffing as well

Mitrone vs Kharitonov... worst beginning and worst ending

Back