What should be the maximum weight a fighter should cut?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Jorge and Pettis probably cut around 10 pounds, which isn't that much when you consider that is mainly from cleaning up their diet and heavy training during camps. After what point does a weight cut start to seriously hurt your performances? If I were a fighter, I would rather give up 5-10 pounds and feel energetic, then to have 10 pounds on someone, feel horrible and be susceptible to gassing or getting KO'd easier. We have seen many times where a fighter is able to take shots better when moving up a weight class. They also inevitably have better cardio and can have a speed advantage.

Unless you are just undisciplined and get fat out of camp, then I really think the most an already lean athlete should cut is 10 pounds give or take a few pounds depending on the weight class.

it would be interesting if fighters had to be weighed literally moments prior to fighting.

Would eliminate cutting I bet.

However much weight they can cut without killing themselves. Max Holloway is 5'11 and cuts a ton of weight, but his chin is amazing still

I don't know the answer as I'd be inclined to go with whatever an unbiased(not bought out) medical professional(s) determined, but I've felt for a long time something needs to be done. It's fucked when weight cutting is more dangerous than the fight itself.

It's not usually a absolute value, it's usually a percentage.

The likes of Brock, Tim Sylvia could cut 20lbs with a hour on the toilet (I'm exagerrating, kinda) whereas for a, say Max Holloway that could be a near death experience.

The real question is, how much height should they cut?

Jorge and Pettis probably cut around 10 pounds, which isn't that much when you consider that is mainly from cleaning up their diet and heavy training during camps. After what point does a weight cut start to seriously hurt your performances? If I were a fighter, I would rather give up 5-10 pounds and feel energetic, then to have 10 pounds on someone, feel horrible and be susceptible to gassing or getting KO'd easier. We have seen many times where a fighter is able to take shots better when moving up a weight class. They also inevitably have better cardio and can have a speed advantage.

Unless you are just undisciplined and get fat out of camp, then I really think the most an already lean athlete should cut is 10 pounds give or take a few pounds depending on the weight class.

0 pounds. Almost everyone on Sherdog loses their mind over picograms but temporarily dehydrating yourself 20 lbs to make a weight class for a performance enhancement? Nah nobody cares... Is normal

it would be interesting if fighters had to be weighed literally moments prior to fighting.

Would eliminate cutting I bet.
No, there would still be idiots and a lot of lost investments. You'd have to go by mafia rules where you lose a finger.

Pettis said that he weighed less for this fight than he did for Tony.

Crazy when you think about it. 15 pounds of water is a crazy amount.

Michael Chiesa also said that he was around the same weight vs Condit than when he fought Pettis at LW.

Not 40 pounds like Khabib cuts to have an advantage. Not 40 pounds like Conor used to cut.

I don’t think they should be cutting weight at all. They should weigh in on the day of the fight, and they should weigh in during camp leading up to the fight as well, just like they do with drug testing.

The sport would be far better if everyone competed at their natural weight.

There's no answer to this question.
Ricky Fatton was ballooning up to 200 lb+ between fights and getting down to 140 lbs to fight, it went ok for him until it didn't vs Mayweather.

Limiting a cut to a limit or % weight assumes that the fighter is in shape with a low % body fact before they start their cut and a some of them aren't. DC towelgate for example, he had no 6 pack you could clearly see wobbling fat so his cut was only hard because he was too fat at the start of the cut.

Back