Making lightweight 160lbs would solve a lot of problems

standupsprawl

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I think for some reason a lot of guys are in between this 155-170 range. Cowboy, Conner, Dos anjos, Jorge, Diaz , Lee to name a few ... make 160 and unclog 170 with all these guys who have had to move up. Maybe PRIDE had it right for some reason at 160.

I don't like it.

Too many divisions already. Titles seem to mean nothing anymore.

You'll see fighters jumping weight classes every fight. There won't really be anymore top 15 rankings for each division, because fighters won't stay in weight classes very long.

Look at boxing. Too many divisions.

It's fine the way it is IMO.

Why would it solve problems? All you and people like you are doing is trying to make allowances and generally advantages for certain fighters. Coincidentally fighters that people really seem to like. I’m tired of people crying over the jump from LW to WW. Nobody cries about the same jump from WW to MW.

More entitled nonsense. Sack up kids. Or should we just have weight classes at 5 lbs intervals? That would surely solve all the problems, right? Nobody missing weight anymore, etc.

nah

would add 165 and move 170 to 175 tho.

I think for some reason a lot of guys are in between this 155-170 range. Cowboy, Conner, Dos anjos, Jorge, Diaz , Lee to name a few ... make 160 and unclog 170 with all these guys who have had to move up. Maybe PRIDE had it right for some reason at 160.
Changing the LW weight limit to 160 from 155 and doing nothing else is a better idea than making a new 165 division that would require the WW limit to be changed to 175 as well.

nah

would add 165 and move 170 to 175 tho.
There is no need to make new divisions as it would dilute the talent pool across multiple divisions: both 155 and 170. A division can never be "too stacked", more fighters trying to get the belt in the same division just means that the belt becomes more prestigious.

Yeah make LW 161, have the fights in a ring and not a cage, allow soccer kicks and stomps to grounded opponents but ban elbows, have a 10 minute 1st round and a 5 minute 2nd round and a 5 minute 3rd round for title fights.

Welcome back the Pride LW division.

No, LW is fine as it is at 155.

No... what we should add in traditional boxing weight classes on top of the MMA ones. People are already familiar with them.

112, 118, 122, 126, 130, 140, 147, 154, 160, 168, 175, 200

Problem solved!

/sarcasm

Why would it solve problems? All you and people like you are doing is trying to make allowances and generally advantages for certain fighters. Coincidentally fighters that people really seem to like. I’m tired of people crying over the jump from LW to WW. Nobody cries about the same jump from WW to MW.

More entitled nonsense. Sack up kids. Or should we just have weight classes at 5 lbs intervals? That would surely solve all the problems, right? Nobody missing weight anymore, etc.

Join date checks out. The jump from WW to MW is always mentioned lol. Are you telling fighters to "sack up" because you as a fan don't like the number of weight classes? That is some entitled nonsense if I've ever seen it.

The weight divisions are good as is. If you move LW to 160, are you going to make FW 150lb? Will BW move to 140lbs? Next thing you know, MMA will be like boxing where there is less than a 5 lb difference in some divisions.

Fuck off

No need to change it to accomodate anyone

It would create far more problems than it would solve.

I don't like it.

Too many divisions already. Titles seem to mean nothing anymore.

You'll see fighters jumping weight classes every fight. There won't really be anymore top 15 rankings for each division, because fighters won't stay in weight classes very long.

Look at boxing. Too many divisions.

It's fine the way it is IMO.

I'm not sure if there are too many divisions. Lightweight and welterweight are the most populated divisions by far. I don't see why the UFC is so against 160/165 when there literally is a women's 125 division with hardly anyone in it and a non existent women's 145. There was only enough for a 115 and 135 but they are willing to have extremely shallow divisions

It should be 155 165 175 185 195 205 225 and Unlimited

155 165 175 seems like a better idea. This will be weird because it would invalidate 170 lb achievements in a few years.

160 is dumb, then you have 15 lbs between 145. Make 165 and bump 170 to 175.

125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185

205 and below is LHW and above 205 is HW

I'm not sure if there are too many divisions. Lightweight and welterweight are the most populated divisions by far. I don't see why the UFC is so against 160/165 when there literally is a women's 125 division with hardly anyone in it and a non existent women's 145. There was only enough for a 115 and 135 but they are willing to have extremely shallow divisions

I get that.

But you will dilute both divisions by creating that new one.

Plus these divisions will be so close in weight that you will see fighters jumping weight classes every fight.

Plus what do you do with the old champs? Just give them a belt in a weight class they didn't win their belt in?

We just hand Khabib the 160 belt? Or Usman the 175 belt? they didn't win their belts at the weight class.

Or do we strip the old champs...just because?

I don't like the 165 idea, never have. I think things are fine the way they are.

Back