What to do with Welterweight?

sdpdude9

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Welterweight has been shaken up quite a bit in the past couple weeks. Many people are wondering what’s next for the top fighters and here’s my idea. I made this post in another thread and it got some good feedback, so tell me what you think.

Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington
Tyron Woodley vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler II
Jorge Masvidal vs. Leon Edwards
Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos
Stephen Thompson (assuming he beats Pettis) vs. Demian Maia
Darren Till vs. Neil Magny

solid matchmaking TS
But would change a few.

Maia Vs Sanchez
Wonderboy Vs Luque

Let Askren fight some other people, idk about you but I dislike immediate rematches

send TJ to shut it down

012_roberto_cyborg_abreu_vs_brendan_schaub_gallery_post.0.jpg

solid matchmaking TS
But would change a few.

Maia Vs Sanchez
Wonderboy Vs Luque

Forgot that Maia vs. Sanchez was talked about next. I’m on board with that. I’d do Wonderboy vs. Zaleski Dos Santos and Dos Anjos vs. Luque next if that’s the case.

Usman vs Colby
Woodley vs Ponz
Askren vs Wonderboy (if Wonderboy Beats Pettis which he should)
Masvidal vs Edwards
Robbie vs Luque
Dos anjos vs Dos Santos

Welterweight has been shaken up quite a bit in the past couple weeks. Many people are wondering what’s next for the top fighters and here’s my idea. I made this post in another thread and it got some good feedback, so tell me what you think.

Love this list. Not sure why everyone wants RDA to take on a surging contender like Ponzi when he's shown he can't beat the top wrestlers in the division. Woodley vs. Ponzi has a strong chance of being an exciting fight, though I know Dana prob doesn't want Woodley so close to another title shot.

Get fuckers to quit ducking other fuckers and we might be in business.

Hey come to think of it. WW sounds like pretty much every other division.

I say no one's really next in line for the title. Tyrone got dominated. Colby is about to get stretched. Wonderboy is fighting a LW. RDA is my boy, but he's coming off some tough loses. Guys outside the top 5 like Ponzi, Askren, and Edward's still need a top fight to earn their title shot.

Jorge is the only guy at the top of division who done anything impressive as of late, but we all know he doesn't deserve a ts being 1-2 in his last three. Imo the UFC should go through with Usman x Colby and have Jorge x Edward's as a #1 contenders fight. Jorge already made this match up compelling, and Leon only needs a top 5 win to be in title talks. Imo this is the fight. I don't know what's going on with Ponzi, I think he deserves it too, but this match up is hot right now, and that's what motivates the company.

If that doesn't go through, we need a mini tournament with Askren, Masvidal, Ponzi, and Edward's. They're the most deserving for the next shot.

I wonder where the fuck Alexei kunchenko is...guy is undefeated and getting older. He fought on Dec 2018 but still is not booked again... injury maybe?

I feel he could be a title contender

Just say fuck it and split it into 165 and 175 with no linear champ from 170

Usman-Colby
Askren-Masvidal
Till-RDA
Thompson-Magney
Woodley-Edwards (Edwards gets rewarded with a big fight for not pressing charges)
Maia-Dos Santos

Y'all forgetting about CM Punk.

CM Punk vs Lawler or RDA or Ponz IMO

Wonderful post. I agree in every case. Ponz needs to fight ASAP, a victory over Woodley should give him a title shot

Usman-Colby
Askren-Wonderboy(after he beats Pettis)
Woodley-RDA
Lawler-Ponz
Masvidal-Edwards
Maia-Capoeira

Till needs an extended break, and when he comes back, it should be a tune-up fight.

Let Askren fight some other people, idk about you but I dislike immediate rematches
I would rather see them fight the rematch, the referee stopped it by mistake so it makes sense to just run it back and get a clear winner

I normally don’t either, but under the circumstances it was a ref failure for a bad call not a loss.

It’s not Robbies fault herb missed the thumbs up

Back