Cain Velasquez at 205?

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
So how would he do? If he sorts out the knee could be a threat to Jones there, he can make the weight easily.

He brings an intensity rarely seen.

Cutting weight just gives Cain more ways to get injured

Big guy is gonna find a way to get injured in a sauna

205 will definitely tighten up that non juiced body. I like it

At this point he'd be fucked.

He'd need to make a significant change to his body, which when you're already injury prone, isn't exactly a good idea.

Cain is old and out of practice. We're not seeing him make a comeback of any significance, as much as I hate to say that. Intensity doesn't have anything to do with it. His body is done being a top athlete.

I didnt like what I saw recently. Think he is done at top level either division.

So how would he do? If he sorts out the knee could be a threat to Jones there, he can make the weight easily.

He brings an intensity rarely seen.

I think you are on to something. He carries easily 20 pounds of water and cottage cheese on that frame. If he could get down his wrestling and power would wreck most, maybe even JJ. But, he's lazy so his career is over.

IMO there is no way that a move to 205 would be anything but great for him. It would be like BJ fighting at LW, forced to not be pudgy. His chin woul dhold up at LHW. I actually think he can be the LHW champion. He matches up good with jones. I actually think hes not washed up and him getting sparked by francis was a no no brainier. his chin cant take those kind of shots. theres no power punchers at 205 like THAT

latest

I think you are on to something. He carries easily 20 pounds of water and cottage cheese on that frame. If he could get down his wrestling and power would wreck most, maybe even JJ. But, he's lazy so his career is over.

Stupid statement.

How many fighters have ever dropped a weight class and won a belt? Let alone in the modern era? Cormier, who else? There are more examples of fighters moving up in weight and winning belts for fucks sake.

Cutting weight/fat and going lower and expecting good results is one of the biggest myths in MMA. And frankly, some fighters like Cormier seem to do better being a fat boy.

Maybe you should go back to not posting, pretty sad to see this coming from a 2008. You've been around long enough to know better. Cain is lazy? The biggest criticism he's ever received was that he over-trained and got injured. Fuck man.

If Cain was a healthy dude and injury free, this makes sense. But with his body the way it is, fuck! Cant the MMA GODS give us a healthy Cain for a few years in a row.

Losing ~40 pounds, with his frame? He would be a skeleton and lose to everyone.

Stupid statement.

How many fighters have ever dropped a weight class and won a belt? Let alone in the modern era? Cormier, who else? There are more examples of fighters moving up in weight and winning belts for fucks sake.

Cutting weight/fat and going lower and expecting good results is one of the biggest myths in MMA. And frankly, some fighters like Cormier seem to do better being a fat boy.

Maybe you should go back to not posting, pretty sad to see this coming from a 2008. You've been around long enough to know better. Cain is lazy? The biggest criticism he's ever received was that he over-trained and got injured. Fuck man.

Randy

His body is destroyed already. A weight cut would destroy it further.

Man I like how people think Cain going down will be a bad idea, lol. Dude is chubby at HW, he can easily make LHW but he likes to eat too much. he is the kelvin Gastelum of HW. With some dedication to diet he can easily make LHW. He fights at about 240. He can easily lose those 20 pounds of fat with a good diet and training and then cut 15 pounds in fight week. People who think this is a bad idea or can't be done are clueless.

Did you learn nothing from Dillashaw/Cejudo? Just because a guy isn't big for a weight class doesn't mean that it isn't his optimal weight class.

Cain has never had to cut weight in his adult life. Assuming that it would be easy just because he carries fat is asinine.

Additionally, one of his big advantages at HW is his speed and agility. That's why DC is so much more dangerous at HW than LHW. Cain might actually be at a disadvantage if he moves down.

I was referring to modern times.

And even though you went back that far, you only thought of one other. Randy Couture (who was a heavily undersized HW to start).

By comparison, Conor, Whittaker, Cormier, GSP, BJ Penn, all moved up and won belts.

Weight cutting is the biggest myth in MMA, ESPECIALLY in the post-IV drip days. The only reason fighters did those extreme cuts back then was due to IVs.

@Phisher so you take one case example and want to use it as proof? How about all the guys who moved from LHW to MW and had more success? Like Bisping, Boetsch and Vitor? I am sure none of them fought at MW before they moved down. We wont know how he performs unless he does it. The reason why TJ was different was because the dude was cut up and shredded at BW, him moving down to FlyWeight is very different from a chubby Cain moving down to LHW. Cain has fat to lose. TJ had to lose muscle. If you can't see the difference here then I am not sure what to tell you.

I'm making an assessment based on Cain's style and how he's competed at HW.

I think that the ability to jump weight class depends on the individual fighter.

Some guys have success moving down. Others have more success moving up. e.g. DC, Smith, Santos, Overeem etc.

The conversation is moot though because if Cain can't get through a standard HW training camp in one piece, how do you think that he's going to function if he has to cut weight on top of his regular training regimen?

Back