IF GSP vs Khabib was an option, it should have been a GO

VIPERdude

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
First and foremost I am A FAN of fighting. I could care a less whats best for the UFC, I dont see any of their profits....So I dont struggle with the same worries and questions the media does when they seem to just care about and talk about how the UFC will do, whats next for the UFC. "WHAT WOULD THIS DO TO THE DIVISION IF THIS OR THAT HAPPENS?" "WHAT HAPPENS TO THE TITLE?"

(Dana: "if the fans want it we make it"- YEAH bite me)

What do titles mean anymore now they have been so devalued. Lets be real its the CASH that means everything to the fighter the belt is now only a prop. GSP didnt want the belt, he clearly stated all he wanted was to have the opportunity to challenge himself against a man who is looked to be unbeatable and undefeated regardless of what some fans may think of the outcome.

I am a fan of watching the best fights period, we had a chance to see one here. Its not us fans problem if the UFC dont have back up plans for outcomes they dont expect to happen. Its the fight game. All of a sudden they are in the fair play business? This is the type of FIGHT fans wait months to see...A REAL MONEY FIGHT, A SUPER FIGHT (one I personally would have paid $100 PPV to watch) compared to the junk cards theyve been putting together lately.

At a catch weight of 160 pounds which they both were REPORTEDLY good with until the UFC nixed it. I dont wanna hear about catch weights not possible Rich Franklin fought at a couple catch weights and in certain circumstances they have made exceptions to do so. No LW title would be at risk, a LOSS to GSP wouldn't kill Khabibs stock either, losing to the GOAT? BUT what it does for Khabibs stock if he did stop Pierre? Thats the story UFC would be in business for.

FINALLY we would have seen somebody try and beat GSP at GSPs game. Many feel GSP WOULD WALK THROUGH KHABIB. Its possible, I think there is evidence that supports that wouldnt be the case. You have to of considered his age, his time off, I dont put much stock in GSP beating a blind eyed Bisping since nobody took him serious as a MW champion hence why he chose Bisping. Unfortunately thats the truth. GSP IS NOT in his prime and Khabib has stated it has been his dream to fight GSP, he trained all his life to fight GSP, and to me that is a motivated scary man when you were always his main target....GSP in his prime has been taken down before, Koscheck did so, GSP was dropped by somebody as small as a natural 155er Matt Serra and Carlos Condit via head kick. GSP also left the Jonny Hendricks fight with meat loaf for a face. SO telling me Khabib has no shot and it be a pointless fight your just not seeing the big picture.

Whether or not you believe Khabib would win or lose, I have no doubt in my mind in GSP's life today having to make 160/165...it would be one hell of a competitive fight.

You might be right?

Absolute shit it didn't happen.

I don't even get it. Fight would have done about a million ppvs.

GSP killing off a potential mid levels ppv draw
No thanks
GSP khabib is short term
Khabib vs Ferguson
Poirer
McGregor
Is long term and makes more money
George destroyed the relationship when he went back on his word and refused to defend at 185

No thanks
GSP khabib is short term
Khabib vs Ferguson
Poirer
McGregor
George destroyed the relationship when he went back on his word and refused to defend at 185
What are you a WME accountant?

It would have been an epic fight that did about a million ppv buys.

If this fight was an option it's criminal it didn't happen.

What are you a WME accountant?

It would have been an epic fight that did about a million ppv buys.
Let’s say 900k buy
GSP easily wins and the hype he got from McGregor is gone. That hurts the UFC
Instead of one 900 k pay ppv imagine
Ferguson 400k
Poirer 300k
Mcgregor 3 million(with a couple wins for both this is possible)
That’s way better long term then a one off pay day where GSP rides off into the sunset

As a fan I would have loved to see GSP-Khabib, but the right thing to do is give the guys who have been fighting each other to get a shot at the title their chance. Fergeson and Poirnier both deserve a shot. Iaquinta is in the hunt too, but behind the other 2. It would be something to see GSP one last time take out the Russian though. It could still happen though, never say never!

First and foremost I am A FAN of fighting. I could care a less whats best for the UFC, I dont see any of their profits....So I dont struggle with the same worries and questions the media does when they seem to just care about and talk about how the UFC will do, whats next for the UFC. "WHAT WOULD THIS DO TO THE DIVISION IF THIS OR THAT HAPPENS?" "WHAT HAPPENS TO THE TITLE?"

What do titles mean anymore now they have been so devalued. Lets be real its the CASH that means everything to the fighter the belt is now only a prop. GSP didnt want the belt, he clearly stated all he wanted was to have the opportunity to challenge himself against a man who is looked to be unbeatable and undefeated regardless of what some fans may think of the outcome.

I am a fan of watching the best fights period, we had a chance to see one here. Its not us fans problem if the UFC dont have back up plans for outcomes they dont expect to happen. Its the fight game. All of a sudden they are in the fair play business? This is the type of FIGHT fans wait months to see...A REAL MONEY FIGHT, A SUPER FIGHT (one I personally would have paid $100 PPV to watch) compared to the junk cards theyve been putting together lately.

At a catch weight of 160 pounds which they both were REPORTEDLY good with until the UFC nixed it. I dont wanna hear about catch weights not possible Rich Franklin fought at a couple catch weights and in certain circumstances they have made exceptions to do so. No LW title would be at risk, a LOSS to GSP wouldn't kill Khabibs stock either, losing to the GOAT? BUT what it does for Khabibs stock if he did stop Pierre? Thats the story UFC would be in business for.

FINALLY we would have seen somebody try and beat GSP at GSPs game. Many feel GSP WOULD WALK THROUGH KHABIB. Its possible, I think there is evidence that supports that wouldnt be the case. You have to of considered his age, his time off, I dont put much stock in GSP beating a blind eyed Bisping since nobody took him serious as a MW champion hence why he chose Bisping. Unfortunately thats the truth. GSP IS NOT in his prime and Khabib has stated it has been his dream to fight GSP, he trained all his life to fight GSP, and to me that is a motivated scary man when you were always his main target....GSP in his prime has been taken down before, Koscheck did so, GSP was dropped by somebody as small as a natural 155er Matt Serra and Carlos Condit via head kick. GSP also left the Jonny Hendricks fight with meat loaf for a face. SO telling me Khabib has no shot and it be a pointless fight your just not seeing the big picture.

Whether or not you believe Khabib would win or lose, I have no doubt in my mind in GSP's life today having to make 160/165...it would be one hell of a competitive fight.

the only problem is gsp didnt really want it .dont buy into the gsp smoke screen

No thanks
GSP khabib is short term
Khabib vs Ferguson
Poirer
McGregor
I just feel if they met at 160 the title would be safe and if Khabib won that makes his stock sky rocket, and if he losses to GSP that wont hurt Khabib at all losing to the GOAT, a legend. People may even admire Khabib for taking that challenge and GSP having a win over the unbeatable 155 champ even makes his GOAT status less of an argument for those who still debate it.

GSP would only fight him at 155 since he wants the third belt. GSP is all about improving his legacy with minimal risk (which is smart) and would not fight Khabib at 160 or 165, since he stands to gain nothing from the win. At 155, Khabib outwrestles the downsized GSP who has lost a significant amount of muscle mass to make weight to a decision in the hardest fight of his career.

If this fight was an option it's criminal it didn't happen.
Why? Why should gsp get the fight and not ferg at this point? Gsp jumped the line at mw and bailed. Fw has too many guys to just have gsp jump in. Ww would have made more sense for the org.

Let’s say 900k buy
GSP easily wins and the hype he got from McGregor is gone. That hurts the UFC
Instead of one 900 k pay ppv imagine
Ferguson 400k
Poirer 300k
Mcgregor 3 million(with a couple wins for both this is possible)
That’s way better long term then a one off pay day where GSP rides off into the sunset
Idt anybody losing to the mythical (obviously bigger naturally) GOAT George St Pierre does not hurt your stock, if anything it stays the same. Losing to a fighter nobody expects you to beat already is not going to hurt you especially if its competitive and it would be. Khabib before 155 he had organ failure to get that low because he can be a bigger fighter if he wanted. Hence why the dietition was a must have for his success at 155.

GSP would only fight him at 155 since he wants the third belt. GSP is all about improving his legacy with minimal risk (which is smart) and would not fight Khabib at 160 or 165, since he stands to gain nothing from the win. At 155, Khabib outwrestles the downsized GSP who has lost a significant amount of muscle mass to make weight to a decision in the hardest fight of his career.
That is false. GSP said on Sirius radio MMA show he had no interest in a third belt, he wanted to challenge himself, it was for his legacy to beat a man that was considered unbeatable. He didnt care about the belt.

"The motivation is not the same that it used to be," St-Pierre said. "I don't have the same motivation to go to the lineup again and to fight my way up to another title. I'm done with this. I've done it for so many years.

"You reach a point in your career where you want to do things different. That's why this fight with (Michael) Bisping was different because it was a superfight. For me, that's what I look for."

the only problem is gsp didnt really want it .dont buy into the gsp smoke screen
then why did he say so? "The motivation is not the same that it used to be," St-Pierre said. "I don't have the same motivation to go to the lineup again and to fight my way up to another title. I'm done with this. I've done it for so many years. You reach a point in your career where you want to do things different. That's why this fight with (Michael) Bisping was different because it was a superfight. For me, that's what I look for."

"The thing that excites me the most is when I could be the first to do something. When something cannot be done and people doubt me," St-Pierre said of going up against Nurmagomedov's 27-0 record. "He's a great champion, and in terms of legacy, I can't think of a better fighter right now who has a better legacy than Khabib."

That is false. GSP said on Sirius radio MMA show he had no interest in a third belt, he wanted to challenge himself, it was for his legacy to beat a man that was considered unbeatable. He didnt care about the belt.

"The motivation is not the same that it used to be," St-Pierre said. "I don't have the same motivation to go to the lineup again and to fight my way up to another title. I'm done with this. I've done it for so many years.

"You reach a point in your career where you want to do things different. That's why this fight with (Michael) Bisping was different because it was a superfight. For me, that's what I look for."
But if GSP wanted a challenge, why didn't he fight Woodley? I'm a huge Khabib fan, but I'm not going to pretend like Khabib is a bigger threat to GSP than Woodley.

But if GSP wanted a challenge, why didn't he fight Woodley? I'm a huge Khabib fan, but I'm not going to pretend like Khabib is a bigger threat to GSP than Woodley.
Because Woodley he knows would beat him, GSP is a smart businessman ...apparently Woodley isnt special to him.
"The thing that excites me the most is when I could be the first to do something. When something cannot be done and people doubt me," St-Pierre said of going up against Nurmagomedov's 27-0 record. "He's a great champion, and in terms of legacy, I can't think of a better fighter right now who has a better legacy than Khabib."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back